How many Watts needed?

Hawk

Gawd
Brother is buying new computer and he's going to get this stuff:

-ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 ULi M1695 (It's the mobo both with a PCI-E and AGP slot)
-AMD64 3500+ Venice
-He's using his old Leadtek 6800 128mb AGP vid card
-He also has 2 HDD, 1 200gb and 1 60gb. Both Pata/IDE.

I was thinking about saying to get the THERMALTAKE SILENT PUREPOWER 430W PSU but was wondering if that's fine.

A side question, Is there a difference that's noticable between a 3700+ with a 1mb L2 cache and a 3500+ with a 512kb L2 cache? Because I use a 3200+ which has a 512kb cache and was wondering since he proberaly won't OC would it be worth the extra cash to get a 3700+? Or save the cash and get something else like more ram?

Hawk said:
Brother is buying new computer and he's going to get this stuff:

-ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 ULi M1695 (It's the mobo both with a PCI-E and AGP slot)
-AMD64 3500+ Venice
-He's using his old Leadtek 6800 128mb AGP vid card
-He also has 2 HDD, 1 200gb and 1 60gb. Both Pata/IDE.

I was thinking about saying to get the THERMALTAKE SILENT PUREPOWER 430W PSU but was wondering if that's fine.

A side question, Is there a difference that's noticable between a 3700+ with a 1mb L2 cache and a 3500+ with a 512kb L2 cache? Because I use a 3200+ which has a 512kb cache and was wondering since he proberaly won't OC would it be worth the extra cash to get a 3700+? Or save the cash and get something else like more ram?

Sytrin Nextherm 460w (masscool)

Avoid the TT Silent purepower 430.

1mb L2 cache > 512k L2 cache. It's worth it.

That psu sucks (no offense), its 12v rail is weak. You really dont need anything over 450w with that setup (a REAL 450w, like Antec SP 450w for example).

wee96 said:
That psu sucks (no offense), its 12v rail is weak. You really dont need anything over 450w with that setup (a REAL 450w, like Antec SP 450w for example).

It does not "suck". The Antec SP 450w is rated at 15A+17a. The Sytrin is 18+18a.

Not only that, but it's an overall better supply. jonnyguru seems to agree with me, isn't that right?

[size=-3]your suitcase of money is in the back room[/size]

The ENERMAX 420W NOISETAKER? I have a Enermax Whisper II 535W PSU but I think it's very noisy and not a whisper :D

He doesn't really want to spend lots or go over his budget.

EDIT: So go with the better PSU or get the better CPU?

wee96 said:

If your trying to mention a REAL PSU, an Antec one isn't the best option :D. Anyway, get a 3700+ Venice, it's worth the extra money (if you really want to be money efficent, you should wait for M2 to mature and skt939 prices take a dip). Are you planning on upgrading the video card at all? If not, a 450W Fortron would be more then enough, if you are, a 450W Fortron would still be good, but a Enermax Liberty will leave more upgrade room and has modular cables.

Bbq said:
It does not "suck". The Antec SP 450w is rated at 15A+17a. The Sytrin is 18+18a.

Not only that, but it's an overall better supply. jonnyguru seems to agree with me, isn't that right?

[size=-3]your suitcase of money is in the back room[/size]

umm, you might want to go back and re-read a bit, as I was referring to the thermaltake he mentioned which DOES suck.

dBTelos said:
If your trying to mention a REAL PSU, an Antec one isn't the best option :D. Anyway, get a 3700+ Venice, it's worth the extra money (if you really want to be money efficent, you should wait for M2 to mature and skt939 prices take a dip). Are you planning on upgrading the video card at all? If not, a 450W Fortron would be more then enough, if you are, a 450W Fortron would still be good, but a Enermax Liberty will leave more upgrade room and has modular cables.

Ahh, so you believe a fortron is superior to antec then?

300W is fine for that system... And I'd take Fortron over Antec, but give me my Seasonic over either ;)

dandragonrage said:
300W is fine for that system... And I'd take Fortron over Antec, but give me my Seasonic over either ;)

I wouldn't think 300w is enough. That TT isn't too hot either.

Wee96, I just saw the posting times, I posted a minute before you, yea, so now I get you were refering to the OP. Sorry bout that.

dandragonrage said:
It's actually overkill. But I never recommend anything less.

300w for:

AMD64 3500+ Venice
6800 128mb AGP vid card
2 HDD

That 6800 takes a lot of power. I'm thinking more in the region of 400w at least, of quality make. Like the FSP 400w which goes for $40.

Bbq said:
I wouldn't think 300w is enough. That TT isn't too hot either.

Wee96, I just saw the posting times, I posted a minute before you, yea, so now I get you were refering to the OP. Sorry bout that.

No problem :)

Back