How much HDD space for HTPC?

EnderXC

Limp Gawd
I'm add a tuner card to my PC and was wondering if 160GB was enough? There's a deal for another 160 for 40 bucks AR and I was wondering if I should pick it up. How much can 160Gb carry at NTSC standard res?

EnderXC said:
I'm add a tuner card to my PC and was wondering if 160GB was enough? There's a deal for another 160 for 40 bucks AR and I was wondering if I should pick it up. How much can 160Gb carry at NTSC standard res?

You can never have too much space :) 160 for $40 is nice enough

160 gigs or more, depending on how you record that can last about 80-53 hours (2gigs/hour at the lowest and 3gig/hour at the most, I go with 2.5gigs an hour myself).

CrimandEvil said:
160 gigs or more, depending on how you record that can last about 80-53 hours (2gigs/hour at the lowest and 3gig/hour at the most, I go with 2.5gigs an hour myself).

How much HDD space you packin' these days Evil?

I have 3 160gb drives and 1 40gb drive in mine.
40gb = Windows/Programs
3x 160gb = timeshifting/recording

I'd love to replace the 160gb drives with a couple 300+gb drives...but for one I don't have the money, and two...those cheap-ass drive after rebate deals are just so hard to pass up :p

cell_491 said:
probably like 2 terabytes....freaking nerd :D

:D

I can't say too much though, after a recent switch to a XPC as my main box, I was left with about 450Gb sit there, homeless, it's now found a home added to the HTPC

cell_491 said:
probably like 2 terabytes....freaking nerd :D
Planning on 3.2 Terabytes plus a single 80gig HDD. :)
Going to use eight of these Seagate 400gig drives with a single 80gig for OS and apps, know how long it takes to install Windows on a terabyte? :eek: Thats why I want a single drive. I want to wait for prices to go down alittle more but it's mostly cause I'm waiting for Broadcom to release their new RAID 5 controller that supports NCQ and SATA2.

CrimandEvil said:
Planning on 3.2 Terabytes plus a single 80gig HDD. :)
Going to use eight of these Seagate 400gig drives with a single 80gig for OS and apps, know how long it takes to install Windows on a terabyte? :eek: Thats why I want a single drive. I want to wait for prices to go down alittle more but it's mostly cause I'm waiting for Broadcom to release their new RAID 5 controller that supports NCQ and SATA2.

Why does the installation time of XP depend on the size of the HD? Just do a quick format. There are zero benefits to doing a full HD format.

Back