How much improvement will I see...?

How much improvement do you think I'll see when I go from a Chevette heatercore that can mount one 120mm fan to a 1977 Bonneville heatercore than can mount two 120mm fans??

Everything else will the same, of course, such as the coolant used, tubing (3/8"), and the GPU waterblock (the DangerDen NV-68).

As of now, I'm getting 49C idle for the core and 33C idle for the ambient (card is clocked to 420/1100 with 1.4V for all three modes through BIOS flash).

My room is kinda warm and I only turn on the AC during the midday. During the evening, the AC is off. The temp I noted above was measured at 9:52pm tonight.

Is it worth it go for a dual 120mm setup? BTW, my pump is an AquaVia 1300 that has been modified to reduce the noise and vibrations. By looking at my reservoir, I can see that the flow is pretty strong due to the turbulence of the water inside.

I dont think you will see anything being better/cooler

I dont think it would be worth the modding and swapping but that is up to you

R!P13y said:
I dont think you will see anything being better/cooler

I dont think it would be worth the modding and swapping but that is up to you

I disagree. I bet you'll get at least 5c drop and probably more. Also, difference between idle/load temps should drop also. I don't know how your pump will do with the extra restriction that dual rad is going to give you though. It should be fine.

I say if you have the room and the motivation, do it.

I stand my ground still, I have had 2 watercooling systems now in my life, so i know what i am doing with it all. My system now i had in a different case and everything was the same but I had a big DUEL black ice xtreme 2 RAD from DD and it was big and load with 4 120mms on it 2 on each side. MY point being I had that and now you can see i have only one fan (120mm) one a single 120mm RAD and I did not see any drop or raise in temps,

The thing about water cooling is that if you are running ambient temp you can not do any better/ any cooler and that is final and anyone that knows anything about watercooling will tell you that. If you are worried about the load to idle temps, well i dont think you will see anything there either, mine only have about a 5c change when idleing to F@H and that is really good saying F@H making a very high load on a computer and that is F@H and CSS LOAD temps

as someone else recently tried, you could just stick a normal thermometer into the water of your res/T-line to check on your coolant temps.

if your coolant temps are only a bit above ambient, then a bigger rad is very unlikely to help. if your coolant is close to the temp of your processor, then a bigger rad might help.

i'm just talking about a normal glass thermometer, btw.

alternately, if you have some exposed brass or copper on the heatercore, and thermal probes, then you could rough up the surface with a bit of sandpaper and tag a probe on there with some tape and thermal paste (short term) or thermal epoxy and thermal paste (long term).

DFI Daishi said:
as someone else recently tried, you could just stick a normal thermometer into the water of your res/T-line to check on your coolant temps.

if your coolant temps are only a bit above ambient, then a bigger rad is very unlikely to help. if your coolant is close to the temp of your processor, then a bigger rad might help.

i'm just talking about a normal glass thermometer, btw.

alternately, if you have some exposed brass or copper on the heatercore, and thermal probes, then you could rough up the surface with a bit of sandpaper and tag a probe on there with some tape and thermal paste (short term) or thermal epoxy and thermal paste (long term).

Yeah that is a very good way of testing, can not think of a reason why i did not think about that, :D

Thx for the many good advice. I think I'm gonna try the thermometer trick to see how far the water temp is away from the ambient room temp.

If I do buy a dual 120mm radiator setup, I was thinking of buying the DangerDen dual 120mm heatercore. After adding in the cost for a 120mm fan and a shroud, the total cost after shipping is $69.79.

I'll probably pay for this setup instead of building my own for 2 reasons: one, the dif in price is only $5. Second, the trouble I have to go through to drive to 3 dif places and to find a way to saw off the barbs off the 1977 Bonneville heatercore is too much trouble.

I'll update this thread if I go with the dual setup.

Ok, I went ahead and bought the DangerDen Dual 120mm fan radiator. The temp of the core load and ambient load changed by about 2 C. Not drastic, right?

Actually, it was pretty drastic because by having two 120mm fans running, I could lower the rotation speed of the fans to about 1/4 the speed the knob on the Vantec fan controller would let me. In other words, I got lower temps compared to a single 120mm radiator setup that was running at full fan rotation speed despite the fan speed of the dual 120mm fans being 1/4 that speed.

I'm happy with the outcome and the reduction in noise.

I went from an external bonnie core to an internal chevette. idle temps went up 8C, and nd my load went up about the same. I plan on going back to an even better external setup this summer. BTW, for reference, I idle at about 38C, load at 46C.

I think your 3/8'' tubing is holding you back. Your pump could be too, since the NV68 is rather restrictive if memory serves me right.

Double check for kinks too :)

But hey, if you are happy, that is all that matters :).

Back