How Much Performance Increase Will I See W/ 3200?

ikellensbro

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm just curious, system in sig, & it's not a question for me whether or not to upgrade, but when for me. Basically, how much will framerates/3Dmarks go up by w/ some low latency 3200?

here's a good read
The lower your memory’s CAS rating the better your memory/system should perform.

At a 100Mhz bus speed CAS 2 performs significantly better than CAS 3. In this case, CAS 2 offered a memory bandwidth increase of almost 33% over CAS 3.

At a 133Mhz memory bus speed the memory bandwidth performance CAS 2 & 3 is about 15% or so greater at CAS 2. It’s interesting to note that the RAM running at 100Mhz @ CAS 2 provided greater memory bandwidth that running the module at 133Mhz @ CAS 3.

Overall, running the memory bus at 150Mhz, @ CAS 2 provided the greatest memory bandwidth of all tests done (20% faster than CAS 2 @ 133Mhz), even greater than running both FSB & Memory bus at 133Mhz @ CAS 2, where the L1/2 cache speed would be at its fastest.

Latency is measured in terms of clock cycles. For example, a CL=2 part requires two clock cycles to respond, while a CL=3 part requires three clock cycles. Thus, CL=2 parts complete the initial data access a faster (only 2/3 or the time) than CL=3 parts.

CAS Latency. This sets the CAS latency timing of the DRAM system memory access cycle when SDRAM system memory is installed. Setting this to 2 will yield better performance, although may be less stable if your SDRAM is not CAS2 rated. 3 is slower & should be used when SDRAM isn't CAS2 rated or you want to improve stability.

7.5ns RAM are rated stable at 133Mhz, 1000/7.5=133. Although some are higher grade.

7ns RAM "technically" are rated stable at 143Mhz, 1000/7=143. Although some are higher grade and may go up to 147-150Mhz. Hand picked which are consider best grade of all RAM and are at least 150Mhz and may go up to 166Mhz!

CAS 2 versus CAS 3

The lower your memory’s CAS rating the better your memory/system should perform.

At a 100Mhz bus speed CAS 2 performs significantly better than CAS 3. In this case, CAS 2 offered a memory bandwidth increase of almost 33% over CAS 3.

At a 133Mhz memory bus speed the memory bandwidth performance isn’t quite as significant between CAS 2 & 3 (Only about 15% or so greater at CAS 2). It’s interesting to note that the RAM running at 100Mhz @ CAS 2 provided greater memory bandwidth that running the module at 133Mhz @ CAS 3.

Overall, running the memory bus at 150Mhz, @ CAS 2 provided the greatest memory bandwidth of all tests done (20% faster than CAS 2 @ 133Mhz), even greater than running both FSB & Memory bus at 133Mhz @ CAS 2, where the L1/2 cache speed would be at its fastest.

Uh, thx for trying to help, but that doesn't do much for me. I was wondering what my 3dmark/frame increases would go up by just with the new memory. I understand the whole memory frequency thing pretty much already, although I think I learned sumthing from that.

I don't think you can truely mark a number on that.. hard to tell.. as there are many variables.. you just gotta do it kid..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I don't think you can truely mark a number on that.. hard to tell.. as there are many variables.. you just gotta do it kid..

that's right. there's no way to predict how much it increase exactly unless you try it for yourself. going from pc2100 2-2-2-5 to pc3200 2-2-2-5 will probably only bring a few hundred points increase in 3dmark01 and even less in 03 (these are complete estimates).

it's not as significant from 200FSB and up (from a gaming perspective).

200FSB 7,3,3,2.5 and 7,3,3,2 is +/- only 30-50 pts. in 3dmark. Maybe 1fps in Doom3.

I mean obviously if you can already do 230FSB, its nice and all. When you have that, i doubt cas 2 is going to be more than 1-3%.

Cas 3, on the other hand, has quite an effect at 200fsb. Fortunately, even most value/generic stuff does 2.5, so unless you really need cas 2, you'll be just fine.

Rite now, are u running 1:1? You should focus on doing that first (i don't think that's possible with PC2100, no matter what you have).

Lol...too funny.

Don't worry about real world applications...just drop a few hundred dollars to make benchmarks go up...that's what life is all about!

Subliminal said:
Lol...too funny.

Don't worry about real world applications...just drop a few hundred dollars to make benchmarks go up...that's what life is all about!

If you got the cash.... i guess it's ok... i mean.. i wouldn't.. but if you got the money.. what's the big deal?

No, I'm not gonna put down $250 just for memory to get my scores higher, but it will make a major diff. having 6800gt & pc3200 over 6800gt & pc2100... right?

Back