How much processing power do I need for Blu-ray?

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been looking into adding Blu-ray to my HTPC since it's cheaper than just buying a player. My video card doesn't do any video decoding, so is my CPU powerful enough? HTPC is in the sig. And I know the 8800 GTS doens't do anything, but I am not looking to spend an extra $30-$40 bucks on a video card.

Drive + decent software + headaches = more $$$$ than a really nice standalone, such as the Panasonic BD60, which can be had for $130 or so.
But your CPU will probably be alright, and you could always overclock it quite a bit.

How about just upgrading your video card first since that's the only thing that's really holding you back.

With my E6400 OC'd at 3.2Ghz, the Samsung Demo Oceanic Life 1080P 40Mbps MKV file took up a full 100% CPU usage with hardware acceleration turned off with MPC-HC. Even then it was choppy and the picture came out grainy. With hardware acceleration turned on with MPC-HC, CPU usage dropped down to 20% at most while clean and smooth playback occurred.

So yeah, just get another video card. If a 3.2Ghz C2D can't playback HD content smoothly, not a good idea to do it with a C2D clocked at 2.13Ghz like E6420. If you're just watching HD content, the HD 4350 would be enough. If you want to get similar gaming performance to your 8800GTS 320MB, get the $65 HD 4670. Or if you don't mind used, the 9600GSO 512MB is decent at $40.

Ok upgrading the video card it is.

Drive + decent software + headaches = more $$$$ than a really nice standalone, such as the Panasonic BD60, which can be had for $130 or so.
But your CPU will probably be alright, and you could always overclock it quite a bit.

So is Blu-ray on the computer still a pain in the ass? I would have figured it would be pretty similar to DVD playback by now.

The Blu-Ray format has not been standardized yet. Even standalone BR players requires the ocassional firmware update when new Blu-Ray movies come out. I'm waiting a little bit longer before jumping on the BR bandwagon.

Ok upgrading the video card it is.

So is Blu-ray on the computer still a pain in the ass? I would have figured it would be pretty similar to DVD playback by now.

As was said above, BD is nowhere near standardized yet. The 2 most popular players are PowerDVD and TMT. Both have had and still do have issues. The issues are less if you are controlling with a mouse and keyboard, but there are still problems with new movies not playing, etc.

That's a bummer. I suppose I will just hold off for now. I'm pretty happy with DVD quality, especially with some of the cleanup that gets done on my xbox 360. I'll wait until blu-ray gets cheaper and better.

I have a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and a ATI 2600 XT playing Blu-Ray discs flawlessly (except when the software requires an update similar to standalone's firmware updates).

The Blu-Ray format has not been standardized yet. Even standalone BR players requires the ocassional firmware update when new Blu-Ray movies come out. I'm waiting a little bit longer before jumping on the BR bandwagon.

Uh, the vast majority of reasons for an update comes down to AACS (the DRM used for Blu Ray) needing to be updated for the new movie.

How do I update the aacs? My friend has a sony laptop. He was getting the aacs check error using windvd. He called Bestbuy and they told him to get the update from sony. He installed a windvd file from the Sony website (specific for his laptop version) but still gets the check error.

Any help would be appreciated.

i thought the 8800gts did accelerate hd video? im terrible on stayin keen on video card details...

How do I update the aacs? My friend has a sony laptop. He was getting the aacs check error using windvd. He called Bestbuy and they told him to get the update from sony. He installed a windvd file from the Sony website (specific for his laptop version) but still gets the check error.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1254155336055

@ krupted
Well, depends on which 8800GTS you're talking about. The 8800GTS 320MB and 640MB did not support hardware accelerated video. However the 8800GTS 512MB supports hardware accelerated video.

Thanks DannyBui. He's been following all the steps from that link. It has him going in circles and repeating things he already did. In the end it changed the error from "aacs check error" to "your display does not support protected content"...the tv was playing blu-ray's before...and would that affect a laptop screen anyway?

Edit: Would just using another program work? Are there free ones that play blu-ray?

Edit2: Solved.

Last edited:
You can play blu-ray back with an atom processor even... as long as your video card can handle hardware accelerated video, like the two i have in my signature.

all u need is a 1.6ghz dual core Atom cpu & NVIDIA ION graphics core
at 28 watts :D

it will play anything you want

there a single core version $ 200 free shipping but i heard it has problems with flash when viewing HD 720p or 1080p but ones the new version of flash 10.1 it will be able to use graphic acceletor on nvidia ion GPU and the problem will be gone. the dual core helps abit untill flash 10.1 comes out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228 (single core version)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1157/2/ (flash 10.1 preview)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...012_Desktop_Computer_Dark.html#specifications (dualcore version)

Do you guys have a list of cards that can handle BR playback? I'm looking at a AGP 3450 to replace a old 9600pro on a 3000+. The 3450 has 512mb of ram on it so it looks like it can take it but I'm not sure.

Back