How much voltage is too much?

Casper312

[H]ard|Gawd
For a e5200, Currently have it to 1.45V, bios shows 1.424.

Im kinda new at overclocking with intel, but pretty much whats vdroop? from what i have heard/read it seems to be what the cpu increases or decreases while idle or full load? can anyone clear that out for me.

As for why my voltage is that high, its because im trying to see what voltage is requires to keep my e5200 at a stable 4.0ghz, so far at 1.45, its no more than 18 mins stable, 320*12.5 is what the fsb and multi is.

For a e5200, Currently have it to 1.45V, bios shows 1.424.

Im kinda new at overclocking with intel, but pretty much whats vdroop? from what i have heard/read it seems to be what the cpu increases or decreases while idle or full load? can anyone clear that out for me.

As for why my voltage is that high, its because im trying to see what voltage is requires to keep my e5200 at a stable 4.0ghz, so far at 1.45, its no more than 18 mins stable, 320*12.5 is what the fsb and multi is.

If anything Make cooling you Number one Priority,, Then start raising the Volts. 1.55v on INTEL is alot. 1.74v on AMD is ALOT.. Not trying to stir the soup but dont push too much volts past 1.5v if you Temps are way HOT(Close to Max Load..) it will cook.

O, Yea i was trying to get 4.0ghz stable, but it needed more than 1.45V to do so, temps are perfectly fine, never going over 60C even the 50 mins stress testing 4.0ghz.

I turned it down to 3.75ghz, currently @ 1.4v bios, still stress testing.

anything under 1.6v should be fine aslong as you have the cooling to go with it.. but if your already at 4ghz and its stable for 18 minutes.. 1.5v should be enough to stablize it.. usually if you can boot into windows your pretty close to where it needs to be stable.. just remember with 45nm once you start exceeding 1.4-1.45v you start effecting the lifespan of the cpu.. so if you plan to upgrade in a year or so then feel free to exceed that.. but if you want to keep this cpu for a couple years.. might not want to exceed 1.45v.. but its your choice..

id suck at explaining what vdroop is but im sure a quit google search would find your answer.. but every board has a different vdroop.. some boards also come with a setting in bios that gets rid of the vdroop.. but ive found on a lot of boards its actually reversed or screws up overclocking.. its a long processes with overclocking if you do it right.. but id just work on the voltage til you get to 1.5v if its not stable then you might need to look into other voltages or your memory being to far overclocked..

EDIT
did a little googling for ya.. looks like 1.5v(cpu-z reporting not bios, so add vdroop to what the bios says it is til the actual voltage is 1.5v) at 320x12.5 is what your going to need for a stable 4ghz overclock..

just took a good nap, ill look up vdroop in a sec, looks like my mobo had it to intel specs. So im a go around looking to see what i should set it to.

i upped the voltage to 1.5v bios and checking if its stable. and i hate freaking cpuz not reporting my ram speed. i really hope it diafs.

My temps are wonderful considering the overclocking im doing, 34c idle and 5 mins into orthos the highest temp so far has been 64C. Im gonna keep doing 2 hour stress tests, if it passed i will lower the volt down from 1.5v, once its not stable under 2 hours ill re-up the voltage and leave it for past 2 hours. Looks like a spend the whole day setting this up, Still gotta tweak ram a bit.

cpu-z does give the dram speed.. its under the memory tab in the DRAM Frequency box.. just multiply the number by 2 and thats your ram speed..

got it to be 4.0ghz stable, @ 1.5V, cpuz shows 1.47V.

I ran memtest in the morning before it finished its first pass and was 20% on the 2nd, So im guessing it did a good 4-5 passes.

but im running orthos again for a bit, not gonna risk it

nice!.. good to see it didnt need the full 1.5v like all the other overclocks i was looking at.. so you must of gotten a better chip...

yup, 3dmark went up to 15800's, im a try and tweak my ram some more and hope for 16k with ram tweaking.

The E5200 is manufactured on Intel's 45nm process. For 45nm Core 2 CPUs, the generally-accepted maximum safe voltage is 1.4V. Any higher and you risk long-term damage to the CPU. Intel's own specifications state an absolute maximum operating voltage of 1.45V for 45nm CPUs. I strongly recommend that you lower your voltage to 1.4V or below and keep it that way, if you care about keeping your CPU for a reasonably lengthy period of time.

The E5200 is manufactured on Intel's 45nm process. For 45nm Core 2 CPUs, the generally-accepted maximum safe voltage is 1.4V. Any higher and you risk long-term damage to the CPU. Intel's own specifications state an absolute maximum operating voltage of 1.45V for 45nm CPUs. I strongly recommend that you lower your voltage to 1.4V or below and keep it that way, if you care about keeping your CPU for a reasonably lengthy period of time.

Generally I would agree with you on this. But this is a cheap CPU and they will most likely get even cheaper. Run it to the bleeding edge and replace it if it dies! Ramming speed Mr. Scotty!! :D

Generally I would agree with you on this. But this is a cheap CPU and they will most likely get even cheaper. Run it to the bleeding edge and replace it if it dies! Ramming speed Mr. Scotty!! :D

Not everyone wants to spend $80 to replace a CPU when they kill it. I'll leave it to the OP to decide whether or not he takes the risk, but it's important for him to be aware of it beforehand.

Its 80 bucks to be honest, but i really dont care if i chip a year off it, i will how ever prob just down clock it to the 3.75ghz @ 1.4V since right now having it @ 4.2ghz (yea got it stable with 1.5V bios voltage) is kind of a overkill

1.5V will do a lot more than chip a year off the CPU. There's a reason why Intel rates the absolute maximum voltage at 1.45V. At such high voltages, you could end up killing the chip in a matter of months.

Run it at 1.5V if you like. The reality is that you may not hurt the chip at all, and it was $80. HardOCP'ers are quite pusillanimous when it comes to overclocking. In all of my time running around the forums, here and several other sites, I have seen one actual report of a blown 45nm C2D CPU. Go figure.

1.5V will do a lot more than chip a year off the CPU. There's a reason why Intel rates the absolute maximum voltage at 1.45V. At such high voltages, you could end up killing the chip in a matter of months.

yeah and they also do it to save their own butts.. so that if something dies that was overclocked at a 1.5v then intel doesnt have to cover an RMA because you exceeded their recommended voltages.. same reason they rate all their cpu's at 70C max temp even though everyone here knows they can run well over that temp..

yeah and they also do it to save their own butts.. so that if something dies that was overclocked at a 1.5v then intel doesnt have to cover an RMA because you exceeded their recommended voltages.. same reason they rate all their cpu's at 70C max temp even though everyone here knows they can run well over that temp..

Intel doesn't have to cover an RMA if you overclock your CPU by even 1MHz. The absolute max voltage is to protect you, not to protect them.

Back