How Often Do you Change Your Water?

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering how long the max recommended time frame is between water changes.

Other Question: Do I also have to remove the water when I take the cpu water block off to do any kind of maintenance cleaning? (Just ordered my first WC setup)

If you have an all copper and/or/with brass setup and use pure distilled water then you can go upwards to 6 months maybe more without changing. Over a period of time the metal will eventually cause the distilled water to become somewhat conductive so a drain and refill is recommended after a certain point. While corrosion is still a factor, it would take a very long time and is not necessary to add coolant (unless you want the bluish color factor).

Every time you add or remove a part it is also recommended that you do a full bleed and refill.

If you run a copper/alluminum setup then you should at the very least add a little bit of coolant for the corrosion factor.

If you have an all copper and/or/with brass setup and use pure distilled water then you can go upwards to 6 months maybe more without changing. Over a period of time the metal will eventually cause the distilled water to become somewhat conductive so a drain and refill is recommended after a certain point. While corrosion is still a factor, it would take a very long time and is not necessary to add coolant (unless you want the bluish color factor).

Every time you add or remove a part it is also recommended that you do a full bleed and refill.

If you run a copper/alluminum setup then you should at the very least add a little bit of coolant for the corrosion factor.

Just the answer I was looking for. I made sure I didnt have any aluminum parts as well when I ordered. When you say bleed I assume that is the simple procedure of inspecting for bubbles, filling to reservoir capacity (got the swiftech micro), with the reservoir top open correct?

Just the answer I was looking for. I made sure I didnt have any aluminum parts as well when I ordered. When you say bleed I assume that is the simple procedure of inspecting for bubbles, filling to reservoir capacity (got the swiftech micro), with the reservoir top open correct?

Yes, at times I can be dyslexic but only on fridays lol.

its not the liquid you should be worried about changing, its the tubing lol...

if someone on here still has totally clear tubing after more than 2 weeks then please tell me your secret:p

Everytime I upgrade something, so about every three months. I do new water and tubing each time to keep a clean appearance.

been using pc ice for 1 year and 3 months. prolly gonna wait another 6 before i change it.
no, my tubing is fuct unfortunately because i used their stupid uv dye. i should have just left it clear...

its not the liquid you should be worried about changing, its the tubing lol...

if someone on here still has totally clear tubing after more than 2 weeks then please tell me your secret:p

Uhm, did you flush your rad? are you using pure distilled?

It should take more than two weeks to fog up any type of tubing, even low quality ones, unless you're using some kind of coloring dyes or other stuff that could stain the tubing.

and here I was hoping for the "set it and forget it" factor...

use colored tubing if you want to add color and 'set and forget'. However you will still have to do maintenance, just not as often.

Wshmaster0 thanks again. I know about the nasty gunk buildup caused by coolants how about the dyes+distilled+PT nuke combos?

Wshmaster0 thanks again. I know about the nasty gunk buildup caused by coolants how about the dyes+distilled+PT nuke combos?

PT nuke is mainly for algae and stuff. Like I said if you're running a pure copper setup then you shouldn't have to use coolant. Personally for algae prevention I went to a local pet shop and got a bottle of the no algae solution, it was cheaper, more convenient to purchase and it does basically the same thing using only a few drops. My system has run flawlessly for months and months at a time and during flushes I've noticed no buildups or residues. Sometimes you don't need to buy the most expensive fluids out there, just gotta be mindful of what you really need and what you don't.

PT nuke is mainly for algae and stuff. Like I said if you're running a pure copper setup then you shouldn't have to use coolant. Personally for algae prevention I went to a local pet shop and got a bottle of the no algae solution, it was cheaper, more convenient to purchase and it does basically the same thing using only a few drops. My system has run flawlessly for months and months at a time and during flushes I've noticed no buildups or residues. Sometimes you don't need to buy the most expensive fluids out there, just gotta be mindful of what you really need and what you don't.

Good to know I got stockpiles of that stuff I'm also an aquarium hobbyist. I'm steering clear of any coolant.

Back