How quiet is the OCZ GameXStream 600W?

dbaldus

Gawd
I'm considering purchasing the OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

But am very picky about noise. I currently have a Seasonic S12 430 but just got a DFI board with PCI-E and need a larger PSU. If these are at least as quiet as an Antec TruePower, then I would take it as I don't need the ABSOLUTE NOISELESS like the Seasonics (if it will save me 30 or 40 bucks ;) )

Anyone have any experience with this PSU and know how loud/quiet it is? Thanks!

Well the newest Truepowers from Antec are in fact Seasonics from what I hear...

Anyway that OCZ is actually a Fortron/Source Epsilon 600 watt unit. They aren't the most silent I've heard but they are on the quiet side thanks to the single large intake fan.

You may want to consider spending a few more bucks on the PC Power & Cooling 750 watt Silencer. It's around $200 but well worth it on the noise front, and it's got enough power to ensure that it's something you'll want to hang onto for at least a few years.

I have pretty quiet fans all the way around and the fan on my OCZ 600w is one of the more quiet ones. Unless your rig is totally silent right now you won't hear it..

i have the 700w and its loud to me since i have watercooling.

joemama said:
I have pretty quiet fans all the way around and the fan on my OCZ 600w is one of the more quiet ones. Unless your rig is totally silent right now you won't hear it..

What type of fans are you running and how many? I have 3 Yate Loons...

I have the OCZ 700w, and I can't hear it unless I put my ear within a few inches of it.

the sesonic 430 has way more than enough power to run those specs. you can add another 7900gt and it'll still run it smooth like butter.

Outrigger said:
the sesonic 430 has way more than enough power to run those specs. you can add another 7900gt and it'll still run it smooth like butter.

Yep.

dbaldus said:
What type of fans are you running and how many? I have 3 Yate Loons...
1x Antec tricool 120mm front (medium speed) 1x Arctic Cooling 120mm rear, 2x Zalman VF900's full speed, 1x Aerocool extreme 120mm on my SI-128 (80%) and then the 120mm on the OCZ..

Putting my ear on the back of the psu I hear mostly rushing air..

I purchased an OCZ 700W. First unit had a fan that was clicky and generated a good amount of wind noise. RMA'd the unit for a replacement. The second unit had equal amount of wind noise... I run 2 Yate Loons at 5v and 1 Yate Loon at 12v (triple rad) and a single 120mm quiet exhaust fan (so 4x120mm in total).

Needless to say the OCZ GameXstream was louder than everything in my case to the point I took the 15% restocking fee and returned it. I returned to my previous unit, the OCZ Powerstream 470W.

dBTelos said:

dBTelos and Outrigger -

I would absolutely love to believe you, but all of the pros on dfi-street (the forum only for people using DFI boards) say that the DFI board is so power-hungry that it absolutely needs a 480 watt PSU minimum. How do you figure that my 430 watt is sufficient?

Have you seen anyone run a similar system with a Seasonic 430? Keep in mind that it would have to be a DFI board that they would be running and that it would have to be stable for me to be interested. Just let me know because I do NOT want to have to buy another PSU!

Motherboards don't draw much power themselfs. Maybe a couple watts here and their. Therefor, the motherboard doesn't determin how much power you need, but moreso the videocard, CPU, HDs, etc. The Seasonic has enough power, which is why you should stick with it.

Spectre said:
Yeah dave but you and I both know that 480w requirement is a load of garbage.

Yeah, their specs say you need a minimum of a 500watt PSU or >=20A on the 12v rail and something like a 480watt with >=17A on the 12v rail. What the fuck kind of PSU's are they talking about? My Seasonic 430watt has 29A on the 12v rail!

And by the way... it is working just fine for me right now... just have to run some stability tests to be sure but it played some games for me last night for about an hour or so no problem. :D

Spectre said:
Yeah dave but you and I both know that 480w requirement is a load of garbage.
I just posted it for reference.

Here is an example from the DFI PSU Guide:
Why the 480W Minimum Requirement? These are the Perfect Examples!

Thermaltake 480W SilentPurePower: ONLY +12V@18A!
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm

Thermaltake PurePower 560W: ONLY +12V@22A!
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W0023.htm

Why do people buy these? :confused:

There are PSU's for under $30/$40 in the "Complete PSU Guide" with more +12V amperage!

These 2 TT PSU's are the "poster children" for DFI's 480W+ requirement &
based on these it should be a 600W+ requirement! :rolleyes:

Roundup: 14 Power Supply Units from Thermaltake: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/thermaltake-psu-roundup.html
+12V@26A or more for a single video card & +12V@34A or more for SLI/Crossfire,
from a good quality PSU is the real requirement. ;)

davidhammock200 said:
I just posted it for reference.

Here is an example from the DFI PSU Guide: +12V@26A or more for a single video card & +12V@34A or more for SLI/Crossfire,
from a good quality PSU is the real requirement. ;)

That maybe but that is not DFI's official postion according to DFI street....

you are on your own when using a 20-pin power supply.

DFI no longer will support customers who do not adhere to the minimum power supply requirements.

if the board has a 24-pin power connector, then you must have a true 24-pin power supply.

not a 20-to-24 pin adapter

not a 5,000,323watt 20-pin with 80000 amps on the 12v rail

a true 24-pin native power supply.

period.

there is no argument anymore on this subject.

if the board has a 24-pin power connector, and we state (as we have) that you need a true 24-pin power supply and that a 20-to-24 pin adapter does not work and is not supported, then you need a true native 24-pin power supply.

no arguments

no trying to tell us we dont know what we are talking about.

period

you only have a 20-pin psu? a modded 20-pin psu? a 20-pin psu with a 24-pin adapter?

you are not adhering to the minimim specs required by these boards to run. this means that any problems you have while not adhering to the minimum requirements will result in you being told 'you need a 24-pin native power supply of at least 480w' and that is the only answer you will receive on your problem until you meet the minimum requirements.

sounds harsh?

we don't tell you to put a 24-pin power supply in just to make you angry and see you complain about how you have to upgrade your power supply.

we tell you that you are required to have a 24-pin 480w power supply because that is what is necessary.

if you want to argue about it, by all means continue arguing about it.

but you are not meeting minimum requirements and will not get any answer other than 'you MUST have a 24-pin native 480w power supply to run these motherboards and that is your problem so please upgrade to a minimum 480w 24-pin power supply'

not much else to say on this subject.

i'm tired of some of you who think you know more than our engineers continuing to argue that we have no clue what we are talking about and you can skirt the minimum requirements.

follow the recommended guidelines.

period.

So by that measure a 18 amp 480w TT would be sufficent ;)

Yes, if that was all, but that is why the DFI PSU Guide has its recommended PSU's.

If it is not recommended in the DFI PSU guide, then you are SOL.! :eek:

davidhammock200 said:
Yes, if that was all, but that is why the DFI PSU Guide has its recommended PSU's.

The thing that has been pissing me off about DFI Street is that it seems like they will not give you advice unless you actually have one of their Recommended PSU's. I'm not trying to "skirt around the requirements" at all... they say you need 26A on the 12v rail and I have 29A. My PSU is a damn good PSU, however it is not on their recommended list so all they can tell me is "get the recommended hardware and then come talk with us". Finally, after posting close to two pages of bitching, one guy finally told me "your PSU is fine, try this and this and this..." and guess what? It fucking worked
:D

dbaldus said:
The thing that has been pissing me off about DFI Street is that it seems like they will not give you advice unless you actually have one of their Recommended PSU's. I'm not trying to "skirt around the requirements" at all... they say you need 26A on the 12v rail and I have 29A. My PSU is a damn good PSU, however it is not on their recommended list so all they can tell me is "get the recommended hardware and then come talk with us". Finally, after posting close to two pages of bitching, one guy finally told me "your PSU is fine, try this and this and this..." and guess what? It fucking worked
:D
Sad, but true. People with very high quality 380W to 470W PSU's often get caught in this "trick box".

However the DFI-Street system works for the vast majority & I don't see it changing.

Dave

davidhammock200 said:
Sad, but true. People with very high quality 380W to 470W PSU's often get caught in this "trick box".

However the DFI-Street system works for the vast majority & I don't see it changing.

Dave

Yeah I know. I was considering sending the board back and just going with something simpler because I couldn't get any support on it, but now that I'm started up I'm sure the support will be phenomenal (as long as I don't let them know that I'm running a Seasonic 430 :)).

Just think - a whole FORUM for a motherboard.
:p

Just sucks that they're so thick-headed about some things...

Supposing you did need a new PSU. What's wrong with a Seasonic S12-600? Too much money?

davidhammock200 said:

And that is why DFI products don't get recommended by me, or a lot of people and don't usually find their way into commercial applications....and why DFI is a very bad company. If an item is spec compliant it doesn't matter it should work...that is the point of specs after all. If RAM meets the JEDEC standard but the DFI board is "picky" and it doesn't work stably or at all with that board...that is the boards fault not the RAM the advice in turn should not be....use recommended RAM...it should be fix the baord's design. If a PSU meets the ATX spec and the DFI board doesn't work stably or at all with the PSU then the advice of we aren't going to help you because you aren't using a DFI recommended PSU (yet it is a spec compliant PSU) is a bunch of garbage. The advice should be DFI needs to fix their boards. Telling your customers to piss off when using spec compliant hardware is the worst customer service.

DFI might not want to change...which is fine.....I just hope the market makes them pay for flaunting standards, piss poor customer service, and outright arrogance.

Gatticus said:
Supposing you did need a new PSU. What's wrong with a Seasonic S12-600? Too much money?

Nah... it's just the fact that I just spent $100 on this PSU about 3 months ago when my other one crapped out on me.

I own the gamexstream 700 and it doesn't seam load to me, I,am also running liquad cooling, and 5 other 120mm fans :D

menace2society said:
I own the gamexstream 700 and it doesn't seam load to me, I,am also running liquad cooling, and 5 other 120mm fans :D

That might be because your probably putting hardly any load on that PSU. Hence, the fan doesn't spin as fast.

dBTelos said:
That might be because your probably putting hardly any load on that PSU. Hence, the fan doesn't spin as fast.
That and you can hardly hear ANYTHING over 5 fans.

Back