how reliable is water cooling

mark660

Limp Gawd
hi i want to get water cooling but is i reliable because my comp is always on and im not always with it.

It's as reliable as A) the parts you buy (quality) and B) your abilities. You buy cheap crap or you don't do a good job and you're hosed. (no pun intended)

water cooling can be very reliable, just get good components, test well, and use worm clamps around all tubing connections.

i had my WC setup running for 8 months with out any downtime or failures and only minimal maintenance.

ive had my set up for 11 months and everything is working perfectly and i have not had a leak :)

hi i want to get water cooling but is i reliable because my comp is always on and im not always with it.

It's as reliable as the components you purchase and the effort you put into making sure everything is done right. This is one of the few hobbies where shortcuts aren't advised. However, the satisfaction of completing a loop can become an addiction. Trust me on this...

I have a Koolance Rig that i built in 2003. Its gone through 3 moves and still works perfectly with no problems and no maintenance.

It's as reliable as A) the parts you buy (quality) and B) your abilities. You buy cheap crap or you don't do a good job and you're hosed. (no pun intended)

QFT

My water cooled Koolance Exos went for 4 years without a single drop of water entering the computer. Then one day I spilled a glass of water into it and it died.

Moral of story: Water can kill your computer if accidents happen. So don't water cool unless you keep the glasses of water away from your computer. :D

QFT

My water cooled Koolance Exos went for 4 years without a single drop of water entering the computer. Then one day I spilled a glass of water into it and it died.

Moral of story: Water can kill your computer if accidents happen. So don't water cool unless you keep the glasses of water away from your computer. :D

Oh the irony of it all :D

Water is quiet, efficient and reliable when done properly. I was a noob, but Arcy came to my rescue and today I worship him as my master. It is really important you buy the right parts. A hint: D-Tek make awesome cpu blocks.

However, water cooling is extremely room temperature dependant. You tend to push your system more on water because you know all that cash and time you invested into it was worth it. However, yesterday, while I was at my mouse dissection lab, temp rose to around 36 outside during the day, it was about 35 inside (versus the usual 23) and I came back to a dead 680i ... last thing I saw was a frozen screen with TAT showing CPU @ 80C something...

I really don't regret I went with water, you will get the most out of your system if done properly... oh and get coolsleeves, they're sexy !:D

Water is quiet, efficient and reliable when done properly. I was a noob, but Arcy came to my rescue and today I worship him as my master. It is really important you buy the right parts. A hint: D-Tek make awesome cpu blocks.

However, water cooling is extremely room temperature dependant. You tend to push your system more on water because you know all that cash and time you invested into it was worth it. However, yesterday, while I was at my mouse dissection lab, temp rose to around 36 outside during the day, it was about 35 inside (versus the usual 23) and I came back to a dead 680i ... last thing I saw was a frozen screen with TAT showing CPU @ 80C something...

I really don't regret I went with water, you will get the most out of your system if done properly... oh and get coolsleeves, they're sexy !:D

Ouch. That's where BIOS monitoring should have kicked it. Did you disable thermal shutdown?

I don't think I did, but I had recently redone the loop and there was quite a bitch of air and foam in it, I had decreased the OC significantly while the loop bled, but oh well.. I bought an A/C machine today, should fix my problems :D

The pump is probably where you want to start if you wanna to look more into reliability. It's the most important part of your loop.

A good pump and rad is important. Depending of what is in your loop, those small single rad won't cut it. I've heard only raving reviews about the triple MCR320 and I do love mine. I've got 4x 120mm (the 4th is behind acting as a spacer with the radbox) and all 4 are controlled via a controller (kama meter) so i dont hear it at all.

The pump is probably where you want to start if you wanna to look more into reliability. It's the most important part of your loop.

QFT.... Your pump is much more likely to fail than anything else in the loop simply because it is the only component with moving parts.

water cooling can be very reliable, just get good components, test well, and use worm clamps around all tubing connections.

actually i'm not a fan of worm clamps. the only leak i ever had was on a worm clamped chipset block on my first WC build. they can cut into the tubing and if you buy ones from the hardware store they can be very wide and not make good/even seals... I tried zip ties on my next build and ditched them when it didn't pass leak tests the first time around. the plastic clamps are perfect in my opinion.

That's exactly what I said after pissing and moaning about it for about a week. ;)

You probably just fried the control board in there.. they are like 20 bucks off the koolance website.. It would be worth the investment to see if you can revive it.

You probably just fried the control board in there.. they are like 20 bucks off the koolance website.. It would be worth the investment to see if you can revive it.

The EXOS works fine, but it was the MB that got splashed.

The EXOS works fine, but it was the MB that got splashed.

Yeah, I was gonna say... Almost makes you wanna (suffer the health risk of ion leech and) drink distilled water doesn't it :eek:

Sadly, there's no such thing as "distilled pepsi" which has claimed the lives of so many of my components...

Back