How to access a CD-RW driver over a network

Seated

Weaksauce
Question for anyone with a sense of humor. How can I setup a CD-RW drive to be accessed over a network, one that is not attached to a PC? At 40x write speed, that will move 40 megabits a second. I want to do this with 4 drives.

I have looked at IDE to USB adapters, then USB hubs that attach to a network. The only problem is that each USB connection will run only at 12 mbs, at least the models I have found.

I have not been able to locate any firewire-to-ethernet adapters.

So, any suggestions or where to look? Thanks!

Danith said:
I believe you'll have to set up linux or windows box and share the drive..
Sharing the drive in windows only lets you read from it, not write to it. I don't think there's an easy way to achieve this - that linux journal article sounds pretty complicated.

The easiest way i could think would be to connect to the machine containing the burners using remote desktop or vnc and then burn.

Good luck to the OP though, and let us know if you find a way.

IanG said:
Sharing the drive in windows only lets you read from it, not write to it. I don't think there's an easy way to achieve this - that linux journal article sounds pretty complicated.

The easiest way i could think would be to connect to the machine containing the burners using remote desktop or vnc and then burn.

Good luck to the OP though, and let us know if you find a way.

You can write to it in Windows. You just have allow changes. I do that in my bastardized server running XP pro

Back