How to accomplish this...

Madalienmonk

Limp Gawd
I need the help of the storage Gods! Knowing nothing of storage solutions, I come to you...the pro.

So, my main comp has no more SATA ports and I need more space. What are the possible solutions? I DO NOT WANT EXTERNAL HDD's! I effing hate those, already have too many.

After a couple of solutions are proposed, we can narrow it down further. Though I obviously want to be able to access any stored data on my main comp.

Thanks for any help!

Just get a pci or pci-e expansion card to add more internal ports. Problem solved.

What serbiaNem said. If your case has more room for hard drives, just get a SATA controller card with the number of SATA ports you want/need and you'll be set.

So please tell us what motherboard, PSU, and case that you have.

Thank you so far.

mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
PSU: Corsair 750TX
case: CM690
GPU: GTX260 x2
HDD: x4

Do I have space to fit the pci-e card with sli? how big are the cards? Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks guys

Do I have space to fit the pci-e card with sli? how big are the cards? Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks guys
As long as you put the PCI-E controller card in the top PCI-E x4 slot, you should be fine in terms of space. How big the cards are depends on how many additional SATA hard drives you want. Your case can fit an additional 8 hard drives using two 4in3 bay adapters. So do you want a 2, 4 or 8 port card? Also what would be your max budget for the upgrades?

I think that the 8 port card would make the most sense (for future upgrades)

Budget wise, I'm not really sure. If something fits my needs, I will buy it. At the same time having too many bells and whistles isn't necessary.
Any card suggestions? Also, a link where to buy the bay adapters would be great as well.

Bay Adapters (Choose whichever one you like):
$10 - Coolermaster 621013210-GP 4in3 Device Module
$10 - Coolermaster 621013210-GP 4in3 Device Module
$22 - Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan
Lian-Li EX-24A 4in3 Internal HDD Kit w/120mm fan - $35

Card recommendation:
$100 - SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI-Ex4 8 Port SATA Controller Card
$18 - 3ware SFF-8087 to Multi-lane SATA Forward Break-out Cable (get two of these for full 8 ports)

Will those modules only work in CM cases or will they also work in a Antec?

They should work in any case with 5.25" bays... just the top 2 require vented bay covers, otherwise no airflow will get to the fan... the 3rd one down is one I have in my server... works great for it's purpose and is the cheapest you can find in that form. Would be nice if someone would create a 5-in-3 cheapo version.

Back