How to automatically boot a file on start-up

Phrantic

n00b
I have a cable internet connection which requires some sort of dialup procedure. I've managed to do the easy part that when you open the file to connect, it automatically attempts to connect instead of you having to enter the username / password and pressing a button.

Now here comes a part that I don't know about. I want Windows to run this file on start-up so I won't even have to worry about opening it. I have opened the registry editor and went to the correct path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/.../Run) but it is a little trickier than I expected to add a boot file to the registry, as it asks for all sorts of binary information. How would I go about making a correct reference for this file, that I've conveniently located at c:\connect.lnk
This is a shortcut to the actual file or w/e that I have to open to connect, if there is a quicker workaround in Windows to refer to the network connections then let me know, otherwise the shortcut would work fine I think.

Thanks!

P.S.: Windows XP Home SP2 if anybody asks.

goto control panel then click scheduled tasks and add a new task. Point to the file that you have and set it to run on startup.

or you could add to the startup folder

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I try to add a task in there and I select: at startup or when I sign in, it asks me for a user and a password. The username is already filled out, it looks something like AS351A\Ramon. I've no password on my account (as there aren't on any of the other accounts) so I left that blank. But when I finish the wizard it will tell me permission denied?

EDIT: Read about putting it in the startup folder later, did that and worked fine. I wonder why there are so many hard ways when there is such an easy way too. Thanks for the help!

What kind of cable connection requires this dial-up process, and who is the provider?

Some people may still be stuck with the old cable internet service where you still used a phone modem in conjunction with a cable modem. Your phone line was upload/request and the cable line download.. Some small town or rural cable providers may still offer it.. It's much better than dialup, but a far cry from what most of us call cable internet..

I once had DSL where the provider required a sort of dialup, but it was basically to keep you offline when you weren't using the connection, i.e. it would log you off after a couple hours of inactivity. It was still full-speed DSL though. It could be something like that.

I'm Dutch, we have different ISP's ;)

It's 1mbit speed, we've had this since cable was just new, not much under ten years is my guess... Dialing up only means logging in basically. Don't know why we still have to do it.

Anyway, right now I have it so that it starts when I sign in. How can I have it start when the computer is booted? Because if the connection is already established and I sign into another account, the shortcut is still launched and I get a screen of my connection info. I just want to run it once when the computer is booted and that's it. But I don't think placing the shortcut in the start menu would do the trick. Suggestions?

You can try the scheduled task thing again but this time with an account that has a password. Otherwise you might need to have a windows service handle this. You can make many executables run as a service like this but I don't know how that would work for a shortcut. If you are a programmer you could fairly easily make a program that just runs the shortcut.

Back