How to boot OSX and Xp at once?

I've seen people with a Mac OS X tool bar on top and a Windows start bar on the bottom. I believe they use VMWare and install OS X on it. Does anyone know of a guide on how to do that?

You can't run OSX on a PC.. well, legally anyhow.

I think what you've been seeing is an app called AquaDock.. it puts a Mac like object dock on a Windows desktop.

Edit... and after re-reading your post, you may be thinking of running OSX virtually.. but bottom line is, no matter how cool it is.. it is illegal.

The people that are typically doing that as the OP described are running OSX on a real Mac and using Parallels with XP installed in a VM and Coherence which literally lets them use both OSes at the same time as though it was both OSes running on two different machines.

I don't mean having the guest OS in a VM as in a window, etc. If you haven't used Coherence under Parallels, it's really tough to explain just how FREAKIN' COOL it truly is. :)

Parallels is simply "the shit" as a lot of people would say when it comes to VM stuff under OSX. VMWare has a long long way to go on that platform, they really do. Parallels simply owns the OSX VM market now, and they keep getting better with each new version/update, seriously.

To be honest, the only thing I miss about owning a Mac was being able to run both OSes at the same time - OSX and XP - and with nary a dip in performance on a Core 2 Duo thanks to Intel's VTx virtualization support. Bleh.

EDIT:
Looks like logik there beat me to the punch by a few seconds... hehehe

osxxpfv2.jpg

Here's my desktop - Mac OX X running Parallel's Desktop with a Windows XP VM running in Coherence mode.

The only legal way to run OS X is on Apple hardware.

Here's my desktop - Mac OX X running Parallel's Desktop with a Windows XP VM running in Coherence mode

Oh my God... call me ignorant, stupid, behind the times and whatever else you want.. but that is simply the coolest fucking thing I have ever seen... wow..

Sorry, but I had absolutely no idea such a thing was possible.. I'm just a little stupefied right now.....

Guess who's going Mac shopping tomorrow?? My wife has shown a bit of an interest in adding a Mac to our nauseating collection of computers... and now I have a reason to want one... God that's cool..

Oh my God... call me ignorant, stupid, behind the times and whatever else you want.. but that is simply the coolest fucking thing I have ever seen... wow..

Sorry, but I had absolutely no idea such a thing was possible.. I'm just a little stupefied right now.....

Guess who's going Mac shopping tomorrow?? My wife has shown a bit of an interest in adding a Mac to our nauseating collection of computers... and now I have a reason to want one... God that's cool..

Yes it is, very cool, and it freakin' pWnZ man. As I said, it's the only thing I miss about having a Mac, really. :D

And don't forget: if you're getting a Mac with a Core 2 Duo (recommended, obviously) max out the RAM if you can, 2GB is the sweet spot for running OSX and XP with Coherence like that, if you can get 3GB do it. With VTx support in the Core 2 Duo, that XP installation runs at nearly native speed - that's what shocked me the most about Parallels. It really takes virtualization to a whole new level, and on OSX, VMWare simply cannot catch up at this point.

Just remember that gaming is basically impossible in Parallels at this point... They're still working on primitive 3d support.

Back