How to Clone XP Pro install and then chenge the Key???

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
just wondering if this is possible, since it will save me a lot of time when I go to install these 2 machines.

I built 2 identical Core2Duo systems for a friends Sign Shop and bought 2 copies of XP Pro SP2 OEM, one for each machine.

there is a lot of software to install, CS3 Suite, Flexi Sign Pro, Sign Lab, and a bunch of other apps that he has.
I also have to configure all of the plotters and Printers to work on each machine.

What I want to be able to do is install everything on machine A, clone the drive to machine B's drive, and then change the Key on Machine B so both have their own valid key.
this will save me about 2-3 hours in install/setup time.
After everything is setup, Machine B will go into a box and sit in storage until Machine A has a software or hardware failure, then B gets put in A's place.
This way I don't have to make the 90 minute drive to the shop to fix the machine and have them down while they wait for me. In less than 5 minutes they can swap machines and be up and running and just let me know that the machine went down and I can come later that day or the next day to fix it.

You can always use Ghost + Sysprep to clone the image over, but that may be overkill for only 2 PCs. Majorgeeks.com should have some freeware that allowed keys to be changed.

As for dual computers, there are better ways of doing so. However, if they insist on this method, have them powerup the second computer at least once a week for security updates, application updates, etc. If avoiding downtime is really this important (important enough to buy 2 machines, instead of a decent back up device), then I'm sure they won't want to sit and wait for all the various updates should they need to switch to the second PC.

the main issue is their location, out in the boonies. The closest computer store is a little over an hour away and I am almost 90 minutes away, and I am the only one that they will let maintain the machines and they don't know how to fix any hardware or OS issues..
so instead of having all the spare parts, minus the case, I just told them I would build 2 identical machines so they can swap them out.

What other methods would you suggest instead of having 2 machines?

I would suggest building the hardware, installing the OS (but don't activate it during install, or after), then install drivers. Then load any programs that don't require a key at time of install. Clone the first machine to the second one, then run windows activation, get updates on both, and plug in serials for applicatons that need them/install applications that require key entry during install.

Sysprep will only remove the SIDs, not allow you to change the product key for Windows. Acronis TrueImage or Ghost is probably your best/lowest cost cloning utilities.

The other option, which is likely much more cost effective (over buying two copies of Windows) is to put the HDD from the second machine into an external enclosure, and run a full image backup every week (or however often you and the client decide is necessary) to the external HDD. In the event of a primary HDD failure, you just pull the HDD from the external enclosure, pop it into the system, and fire it up. If you go with a weekly image backup to the external, I would recommend that you configure the backup software to to a "full disk clone/image" where it writes the actual files to the external HDD, instead of compressing it into an image format (like a .GHO or .TI* format). In addition to this, a utility like Robocopy from the Microsoft Server 2003 Support packge can be leveraged to perform selected incremental and non-purging backups for critical files, such as My Documents and other file storage locations. These two in conjunction would be an excellent low cost solution for a small business. Robocopy batch files can be scheduled with the built-in Windows Task Scheduler to run on any schedule determined. The benefit of Robocopy is that not only is it non-purging (meaning if the delete it from the C:\ on the machine, it is still on the backup disk for recovery), but it also only backs up files that have changed or been modified since the last backup. It also saves file and folder permissions. In the event that a file is in use by the system, or the user, Robocopy can be directed to retry the file, wait between retries, or skip the file without interrupting the remaining copy operation. Unlike doing a normal copy/paste operation in the GUI, Robocopy will not stop the copy queue if it hits one of these files.

Ever try to do a copy/paste where the system, or user has a file open and received "Access Denied", "The file in currently in use", or other "I can't do that right now" errors? Robocopy is the answer. And it's free.

How to change Windows XP's Product Key:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

3. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.

4. Click Change Product key.

5. Type the new product key in the New Key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.

6. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:

Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

7. Click OK.

The following method is completely accurate and works. To use this though, your COA key MUST MUST MUST match the version of the media that you are using to boot from/install from. You cannot take a Dell OEM XP copy and plug in a COMPAQ serial for example. You will also have issues using a non-SP/SP1/SP1a/SP2 disc with an unmatched key. If you have an OEM machine, call the manufacturer for a copy of the original media, should you need it.

How to change Windows XP's Product Key:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

3. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.

4. Click Change Product key.

5. Type the new product key in the New Key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.

6. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:

Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

7. Click OK.

You can use sysprep to change product keys. In the mini setup you can have it prompt you to enter a product key.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am going to setup one machine and just ghost it to the other drive and try Azhars method to change the key since all the programs require keys when installing.

I am wondering what the OEM XP Pro is tied to license-wise since the OS will only be running one instance at a time, could I just use one XP key on both machines?
I know dell machines have the license tied to the motherboard.

I don't know the whole situation, and this may not be practical, but what about building both units as planned, build a cheap file server with RAID 1 Storage + backup solution, have him store everything on the server and then he has two workstations to use so more than one person can work at once. Again I don't know who big or small his business is, but it is one more Idea.

I don't know the whole situation, and this may not be practical, but what about building both units as planned, build a cheap file server with RAID 1 Storage + backup solution, have him store everything on the server and then he has two workstations to use so more than one person can work at once. Again I don't know who big or small his business is, but it is one more Idea.

It's s small shop with 1 full time employee and 2 part timers. the owner runs the graphic workstation. The full timer and part timers do T-shirts, prepare the vinyl decals, and other manual labor stuff.
The programs he uses have hardware keys, one is a Parallel port key and the other 2 are USB keys. He uses Flexi Sign Pro the most so even if he had two active workstation, if one workstation is printing or cutting with Flexi, the other machine can't use it, unless he buys another license (I think the program is $3K) and another license of the Ripper which is about $1K.

Back