How to Compare Xeons, etc

bloodlet

Limp Gawd
I would like to get processing power of some existing servers that I have running Xeon's from a couple years ago. While some are even 3.0 GHz I know current CPU's are much better. Is there good software that I can simply pick a couple CPU's and see a comparison chart? I would love to see what I would be gaining.

These are all Intel procs. Thanks for any advice!

Thanks. I would like to avoid installing any software to do this, I know all the CPU's in the servers - just need a good way to compare them to the newest Xeon offerings.

The only annoyance with SiSoftware Sandra for me is that you can't compare a mobile CPU to a desktop CPU - I had to write down the values for my Core Duo T2300 to then compare them to the i7 920 results to see the ~7 times increase. :p

The only annoyance with SiSoftware Sandra for me is that you can't compare a mobile CPU to a desktop CPU - I had to write down the values for my Core Duo T2300 to then compare them to the i7 920 results to see the ~7 times increase. :p

Yes you can, you have to click charting tools on the bottom and then click "all platform results". ;)

Thanks. I would like to avoid installing any software to do this, I know all the CPU's in the servers - just need a good way to compare them to the newest Xeon offerings.

If you tell me the model numbers of the cpu's I'll run some compare charts for you against the new xeons and paste it in here.

Yes you can, you have to click charting tools on the bottom and then click "all platform results". ;)

Aha! Didn't see that for some reason, probably cos it's separate to the "Platforms" sub-menu. Is there also a way to increase the number of items shown in each drop-down box? Five at a time is just depressing when there's so many items to scroll through.

I haven't figured out a way to do that, I completely agree it's frustrating! lol. I remember the older versions used to have a much longer list. They definitely need to change that back asap.

If you tell me the model numbers of the cpu's I'll run some compare charts for you against the new xeons and paste it in here.

Would you do this with Sisoft Sandra? or something else? I might as well get it if its the best tool for this task. Let me know...

doesnt tomshardware have cpu charts
Tom's Hardware isn't a reliable source for any sort of performance-related information. Their comparison charts often have numbers that are completely off compared to what they should be like.

just get CPUZ will tell you the socket and type, then check your mobo to see what the newest processor it can handle is..

if they are a few years old they are poissbly socket 603/604 and wont work with new xeons

Sure new cpu's may be better, but what do these servers do? for example, AMD kicks Xeon's ass in MySQL databases, and Xeon's kick arse in other areas

Mind if I take you up on that?

I've got a Dell R200 as a VMware ESXi host, wouldn't mind giving it a bit of a spec bump. Would be interested to see what kind of gains I could get out of a higher end 3xxx or 31xx series Xeon (probably quad core).

Back