How to connect to a laptop HDD

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Trying to salvage data off a wreaked Toshiba laptop HDD. It is a SATA drive. Problem is it has no standard SATA plug housing on the data or power. Just a row of open pins making the attachment of the cables impossible. Do I need a special adapter or such?

Ya,I don't think any manufacturer outside of very specific applications would deviate from the standard SATA connector just because of cost.

Not following. It is just raw SATA pins, so the SATA cables will not attach. There is no socket. I only have the drive and did not remove it, maybe it was damaged on removal. I'll have to ask for the rest of the laptop to see.

Can you post a picture of the connector?
My Compaq F500 had a normal SATA HDD and had an adapter w/ blades for pins that can be removed form the drive.
laptopupgrade_2206_15415081.jpg

How old is this laptop? I ask because IDE drives had just pins. SATA models tend to have normal sata ports unless they are 1.8 inch drives. Also some manufacturers attach an adapter of some sort to the sata drive.

If it's IDE then go on amazon and look at something like this
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-SATA-...e=UTF8&qid=1340296806&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+ide

The hard drive should be flat, no pins coming out, if there are pins that part pulls out and the standard holes are revealed, some of the adapters aren't obvious they come off at first, but they do. Just put a little pressure and try to pull the pins out should be a little something to grab onto behind the pins.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are there 44 pins on the drive, and is the "middle" pin on 1 row missing? If so it is ATAPI and Not SATA. What is the model # of the drive and the model number of the laptop it was removed from?

Last edited:
First remove the proprietary plug on the drive. It should just pull right off. Secondly get a 2.5" external enclosure and put the laptop drive in it and then enjoy using it as an external drive via USB or ESATA or whatever enclosure you chose to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705 600006255&IsNodeId=1&name=2.5"

I always buy the Vantec model. Just $10, takes 20 seconds to install, works great and looks cool. I've always been a fan of the brushed metal look.

Thanks for the help guys. Like I stated it is a SATA drive. And I am well aware of how to get data off a drive. I am thinking there must be something left in the laptop which I never did see.
sata.jpg

Yep, it's SATA, but someone broke the plastic connector housing that sits around the pins. That's why you have what you have. If you can get the plastic shroud, you MIGHT be able to get it back in place without breaking/crimping the pins but you might have to either replace the PCB itself or solder on a new SATA Data/Power connector (If you have the skills and requisite SMD soldering equipment.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words.:)
Damn, that sucks.

Well looks like you have 2 options:
1- Solder a SATA and power cables to it
or
2- Find a dead SATA HDD and salvage it's connector.

Back