How to downgrade from IE7 to IE6?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Even though I use Firefox for 95% of the time, I use IE for pages that won't work in Firefox. One of those pages was to launch an application for my online math class so I could do the quizzes that are due. Now ever since I downloaded IE7, it won't work. I e-mailed the professor and she said a few of her co-workers had the exact same problem, and the problem was indeed IE7.

So my question is how the hell do I downgrade? I downloaded IE6 (I think, for some reason it was a pita to find) and when I went to run it, it said it detected a newer version of IE installed.

So I go the add/remove section of the control panal to remove it and it's not listed. I check the add/remove windows components and saw it listed, but that only removes access to IE from the start menu or desktop, which doesn't help.

Any ideas? I just wish I didn't have to use craptastic IE any longer but of course, that's not going to happen.

Thanks guys.

When you go to add/remove programs, make sure "Show Updates" is checked.

Try re-installing IE7 again, so it shows up in Add/Remove programs like it's supposed to.

When you downgrade, since you use IE, grab the ie tab plugin for firefox. Very handy.

shadowwyvern said:
Try another browser, such as Opera?

If firefox doesn't open it, and IE7 won't open it I'm sure as hell that Opera won't open it.

(This is coming from a die hard opera user)

onetwenty8k said:
If firefox doesn't open it, and IE7 won't open it I'm sure as hell that Opera won't open it.

(This is coming from a die hard opera user)

very true... but i still love it

been using since 4.xx

Go to Add/Remove Programs again. On mine it wasn't under "Microsoft" or "Internet..." as you'd expect. Rather, it was at the bottom of the list, under "Windows Internet Explorer 7" or something similar. I also ran into a lot of problems with it, and got rid of it 15 minutes after first installing it.

mavalpha said:
Go to Add/Remove Programs again. On mine it wasn't under "Microsoft" or "Internet..." as you'd expect. Rather, it was at the bottom of the list, under "Windows Internet Explorer 7" or something similar. I also ran into a lot of problems with it, and got rid of it 15 minutes after first installing it.
Yep, it was under Windows. LOL, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that did that.

Yeah, I did the same exact thing, looked under Internet, then Microsoft and boom, figured it wasn't there. I felt pretty stupid, lol.

And FWIW, I re-installed IE7 and switched back to IE6 with no problems.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

There is an uninstall called "sp_uninst".exe under c:\windows\ie7\?? (can't remember the name of the directory), but it's there. Caution, anything you've installed post ie7 will most likely need to be reinstalled (.Net framework, FlashPlayer, plug-ins, activeX controls,...) after you downgrade for them to function with the new (old) version.

nm. i was going to ask if you had xp sp3 installed but i seen you got it taken care of.

Probably will work in IE7 if you look into what security setting or activex option is stopping it from working.

Back