how to fix noisy fan in X800XL

Selecter

Gawd
I dont game anymore so I'm not keepin up with the joneses. My wife now uses his thing. The fan on th X800XL is noisy an loud. Whats the best way to quiet it down? Can I spray something on it? Cheap Aftermarket cooler?

Air noise loud or bearing noise loud?

For bearing noise, take the fan off of the board. Peel the sticker off covering the bearing and add a drop or two (not more) of a high grade machine oil (NOT WD-40!!!) to the bearing. Cover back up with the sticker, and then spin the fan for awhile with your finger in each direction. 3in1 oil works okay if you don't have anything on hand, but proper machine oil will be better. This has happened to me on almost every GPU I've owned for more than 3 years.

If it's air noise, then you board is getting too hot and spinning the fan up. Clean out all the dust from the fan blades throughout your system. If it's still loud, and it's not the bearing, take off the heatsink, clean off all the thermal compound and replace with something better like Artic Silver or Artic Aluminum.

well, threw it in a anti static bag, and filled the bag up with 99% iso alcohol.shook it around did the james brown. fixed, after letting dry. no noise, no problem. The stuff that came out was seriously nasty gray dusty soup.

It's likable clean now, and no fan noise.

Back