How To Fry PC Components-Part 2

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
About 2 months ago I posted on here about my PSU Sleeving accident. Where I accidently switch the 5v and 12v wires in the molex connector and burned up my CD-RW. Well, you would think I learned the first time huh?

Found an LCD lying around, and decided it was a great time to learn how to wire my own LCD. Well it took many times looking over the spec sheet by the manufacture, gathering materials, and looking up tutorials on the net. Tonight I decided it was time to finish it. I got all 14 wires (+ the 2 backlights), everything soldered nicely, everything heatshrinked nicely. Even went out and bought a 25-Pin male adapter from Rat Shack to customize the length of my parrallel cable. Well I screwed up again. I decided I was going to put the power through via a molex connector. Found one on a fan I had laying around, and spliced it on. Red to red I thought, since we all know red wires on the PSU are 5v. Hooked up my LCD on my PC, turned it on...The screen lit up! I was stoked! Then it popped, then it smoked, then it popped again. Turned power off on computer and looked. Fried the controller on the circuit board.

The culprit: The molex I pulled off of the fan, the RED (5v) wire was connected to the YELLOW (12v) wire. Youd think the manufacture would have more sense to make the fan+Molex connector with matching colors eh?

So this is the second time I say: Be careful with power. Double check and recheck. Im going to hate what happens next; Third times the charm eh? So does anyone have a cheapy 16x2 or bigger LCD I could buy :).

I was experimenting with a molex connector and stripped fan wires the other day, shorted out my system; but it still worked fine after i disconnected the power and plugged it back in.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
I was experimenting with a molex connector and stripped fan wires the other day, shorted out my system; but it still worked fine after i disconnected the power and plugged it back in.

try it again.. i dare ya :p

lol.. u were lucky

I had the same kinda problem today... my HDD would not boot at all... chekcked around for hours looking for what could be the cause *as i did sleeve the wires myself* i thought i have messed up somehwere and it finally caught up with me.. but it turns out the powere was getting sucked into the cold cathode light with a messed up wire.

anyways.....

No, i kept doing it repeatedly, shorting it out several times. A couple times i thought the PSU just died on me, but no! It was just the surge protection. All i had to do was pull the power cord and plug it back in. And its a pos really old psu I use on my celeron2, don't even know how many watts, probably 20, lol.

OK LEASON ONE ON COLORS. TELL ME WHAT COLOR THE LETTERS ARE.

RED

ORANGE

GREEN

BLUE

Originally posted by NotSoSimple
About 2 months ago I posted on here about my PSU Sleeving accident. Where I accidently switch the 5v and 12v wires in the molex connector and burned up my CD-RW. Well, you would think I learned the first time huh?

Found an LCD lying around, and decided it was a great time to learn how to wire my own LCD. Well it took many times looking over the spec sheet by the manufacture, gathering materials, and looking up tutorials on the net. Tonight I decided it was time to finish it. I got all 14 wires (+ the 2 backlights), everything soldered nicely, everything heatshrinked nicely. Even went out and bought a 25-Pin male adapter from Rat Shack to customize the length of my parrallel cable. Well I screwed up again. I decided I was going to put the power through via a molex connector. Found one on a fan I had laying around, and spliced it on. Red to red I thought, since we all know red wires on the PSU are 5v. Hooked up my LCD on my PC, turned it on...The screen lit up! I was stoked! Then it popped, then it smoked, then it popped again. Turned power off on computer and looked. Fried the controller on the circuit board.

The culprit: The molex I pulled off of the fan, the RED (5v) wire was connected to the YELLOW (12v) wire. Youd think the manufacture would have more sense to make the fan+Molex connector with matching colors eh?

So this is the second time I say: Be careful with power. Double check and recheck. Im going to hate what happens next; Third times the charm eh? So does anyone have a cheapy 16x2 or bigger LCD I could buy :).

I have fried two hard drives that way :(
my 80GB seagate and an old 13Gb WD. The 80GB was still under warrenty but I used it as an excuse to buy a 120GB SATA drive :) the 13GB became fridge magnets.

I fried my floppy drive, it was dear to me, a mitsumi custom 1x floppy disk burner 1x1x1x. Top of the line 3.5" back in 79', I paid $300 for it then. Now the floppy drive is irreplaceable. :(

Originally posted by Marc113-
I fried my floppy drive, it was dear to me, a mitsumi custom 1x floppy disk burner 1x1x1x. Top of the line 3.5" back in 79', I paid $300 for it then. Now the floppy drive is irreplaceable. :(

that's so sad :p

lol:p yes i was thinking the same thing. but if he does a lot of work with a floppy then maybe.

Damn i havnt seen a floppy used in like 2 years:p

Still i can't imageine how even back then, you could pay $300 for a floppy drive. They were like $100 when they first appeared.

Besides, 3.5 floppies haven't appeared untill late 80's... before it was the 5-inch ones.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
Still i can't imageine how even back then, you could pay $300 for a floppy drive. They were like $100 when they first appeared.

Besides, 3.5 floppies haven't appeared untill late 80's... before it was the 5-inch ones.

:p :p i have some 5 inch ones laying around here somewhere :D

I learned to use more than 2 screws to hold a running HD in... Was xfering files from my old drive to the new drive so I just put it in temporarily with 2 screws well I forgot to staggar them and saw a big flash of light :eek: as it grounded the board on it to the frame of the case as it tipped down.

Originally posted by drkavnger99
I learned to use more than 2 screws to hold a running HD in... Was xfering files from my old drive to the new drive so I just put it in temporarily with 2 screws well I forgot to staggar them and saw a big flash of light :eek: as it grounded the board on it to the frame of the case as it tipped down.

ahahahhahahahahhahahahha, your the winner for the frying components contest

this isn't really frying components, but one time my grandma threw my computer out of the window

cpu.jpg

cpu3.jpg

cpu2.jpg

lol thats sooo great. if someone threw my computer out the window i would throw them out the window :D

this isn't really frying components, but one time my grandma threw my computer out of the window

cpu.jpg

cpu3.jpg

cpu2.jpg

now that im looking at it, it looks like it was setup. the window is to the left and the computer is in the corner away from the window also the video car and memory pins are still intacked and if they where in the motherboard they would still be in there or broken off. also theres not heatsink out there. and theres also no case fans and it looks like it was put in the corner away from the snow so nothing would get messed up.

thats wut it looks like to me

Originally posted by DRJ1014
now that im looking at it, it looks like it was setup. the window is to the left and the computer is in the corner away from the window also the video car and memory pins are still intacked and if they where in the motherboard they would still be in there or broken off. also theres not heatsink out there. and theres also no case fans and it looks like it was put in the corner away from the snow so nothing would get messed up.

It's funny... quit analyzing it. Everyone around here is always analyzing everything... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DRJ1014

That, and it looks like it was a pic from a decent (therefore recent) digital camera, but I doubt there are actually many 486s in active use.

That, and every 486 I owned had a heatsink attached to it with some sort of thermal adhesive (usually tape) - note that there is no heatsink at all... And if there had been I doubt a window throwing would pull a small, light, aluminum heatsink off the chip.

A funny pic anyway :)

Sadly... I'll never buy another Vantec product.

I bought the Vantec Nexus NXP-101. Really spiffy. Except for a WIRING problem. They wired the cable that goes from the controller to the fan wrong. So when I turned it on, my Tornado spun up... but it was actually injecting 12 volts into the freaking RPM SENSOR. They swapped the yellow and red wires on the controller end. :mad: Of course, asking to RMA it, they refused to do it.

I hooked up a floppy drive incorrectly one time, basically I was one off on the power connector. Ended up setting the cable on fire, it didn't make it past the next molex connector, but it was pretty scary.

Originally posted by Jiffylush
I hooked up a floppy drive incorrectly one time, basically I was one off on the power connector. Ended up setting the cable on fire, it didn't make it past the next molex connector, but it was pretty scary.

A guy at work did that once I think. Basically, you short either the 5V line or the 12V line to ground. Woops. Wires tend to melt.

As far as the pictures above.... WHERE IS THE PSU?! DID GRANDMA STEAL THAT TOO?!

lol there are a lot of things missing on the pic. no case fans. no heat sink... etc

ahahahhahahahahhahahahha, your the winner for the frying components contest

(accepts award) Well thank you thank you thank you... I'd like to thank all my friends and family...... and blah blah blah

This was one of several misadventures of laziness dealing with missing screws but it was the most expensive. :D

Once I threw a 486 mobo about 20ft in the air (okay, many times) and that was about the end result on the PCB...Those things are tough

I one sharpned the sides of a 486 Mobo and threw it at my friend like a frisbe and it cut him in half JK! :D

Back