How to get to command prompt? system restore. HELP

Goat_187

Limp Gawd
Here is my problem:

Trying to get rid of some spyware, I downloaded this cheap program because the good ones werent doing the job. This thing finds bunch of files and I click to delete them, it tryed to delete some system files and windows warned me that it might cause "system stability issues" trying to cancel I clicked ignore :eek: by mistake. A few secs later my shit freezes and I cant do anything.

I restarted, but now it wont go past the welcome screen. I figured I can fix it if I can just get to system restore. I tryed booting in all types of modes and it still wont go past the welcome screen. I know the system restore command If I can just get to the command prompt. I have tryed everything without success.

Basacally my question is: How in the world can I get to the command prompt that doesnt involve booting in "safe mode with command prompt" or booting at all? I have XP boot disk, but it just takes me to the "A:\" thing. I tryed entering the restore command there but it doesnt work.

I have run out of ideas please help, I have tons of term papers files there, and formating C is out of the question. PLEASE HELP ME :(

boot to the xp disk. When prompted choose to install windows<enter>, do not choose repair. It will list your installation. If you have XPPro I believe you will have the option to select your installation and choose "r" to repair it, it will go through the setup process. If you have XPhome, choose your current partition and windows folder, and choose install windows. It warns that files will be lost, but your data and settings will remain. Do NOT format when it asks you!!!

If you know what files you need to replace and which cabs they are in on the cd , you can choose repair and use the copy command in the recovery console to restore system files

Back