How to install win 8 pro upgrade as full

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Look lads. here is what u do to buy and use a upgraded version of pro:

1. download the win 8 preview/demo

2. install it.

3. load up the upgrade assist and follow instructions on purchasing pro for £25

4.once purchase , download the upgraded files and dump them on a usb stick or whatever

5.install the badboy and it will activate instelf.

DONE

AM i right? is it as simple as that? no need to own any previous copies of windows?

Say if i build a pc tomorrow, no OS on it and the first thing i do is step 1-5. will pro be fully installed and activated legitametly?

edit:

There is one small catch and i will edit my post,

the catch is that if u have to upgrade your hdd or do a reformat and install, you need to do the whole steps again. the issue is this, win 8 preview will run out on feb 2013 so after that, if u want to install win 8 again, u got to get a legit key from a previous version of windows.

If you use the upgrade on a system with no OS on it at all, it will not activate properly. Read my post here on the forums for a possible reg edit to get it to actually activate.

As for installing the demo/preview, not sure if that would allow the upgrade to the release version. Wouldn't see honestly why not.

quite a few people have tried teh above solution. some even tried it with a none legit OS!

Can you just tell it to install to a different drive then go back and wipe out the first drive?

To do a completely clean upgrade install as full..

Install from bootable DVD and use the key included in the box. When system is running (black background Windows 8 Pro / 9200 in the bottom right corner), reinstall from the DVD inside existing Windows 8. Select the Keep Nothing option.

There's an slmgr -rearm / mediabootinstall registry option as well, but I won't go into that.

To do a completely clean upgrade install as full..

Install from bootable DVD and use the key included in the box. When system is running (black background Windows 8 Pro / 9200 in the bottom right corner), reinstall from the DVD inside existing Windows 8. Select the Keep Nothing option.

There's an slmgr -rearm / mediabootinstall registry option as well, but I won't go into that.

This is pretty close to the Windows 7 Upgrade to Full method.

I was able to install the upgrade on two bare systems with no OS. I didn't need to do anything special to activate.

i did the same. created a ISO and done. entered cd key on a hdd where i removed and reformated and im now using win 8

Yep the op process worked for me. Was surprised how simple it was.

Back