How to make HID wireless

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
I started a thread over in the general hardware as a place to start. Got no response so I'll post here for the "bored" electronic gurus.

I play an R/C flight simulator called Real Flight G4. It comes with a Futaba-based controller that interfaces with the computer through USB 2.0 connection. Is there any way I can mod it to include a battery and some device to make it wireless? Bluetooth perhaps? I know there are general USB-based interfaces for the PC to allow connection of bluetooth devices but nothing that I can find that acts as a transmitter. Any help would be great.

AmbiCom makes a wireless USB adapter: WPKIT (think USB cable over Bluetooth).

I have used this particular device, for lab equipment on one side of lab and controlling computer on other side of lab, that is the only reason I mention that particular model.

I would mod the cable on the HID to connect the one end and make a power-pack (batteries with voltage regulators) to create the full-on wireless solution.

Basically that is a print server over bluetooth? Would that work? also, cannot find it in stock anywhere.

Yes, it is a print server over bluetooth, but all of the USB communication protocol is sent bi-directionally and the device works just like a USB cable without the "cable". The device we use it on here at work is a programmable video generator, and is anything but a printer. Anytime I power the generator down without disconnecting through win2k it yells at me, just like if there were a cable, the WPKIT is transparent in the whole of the setup. The only time we have an issue is when we try to use it over the distance limit ~11ft, or if we are working with something else in the lab that is emitting a lot of noise (and I do mean a lot).

This device is what I'm familiar with, that is why I mention it specifically, but I would have though that there would be many other such devices by now as we bought this about 2 years ago.

After an internet search of my own, it would appear that the demand for such a device is not sufficient to have it on the market, the majority of what is out there allows connection to devices with bluetooth built into them. I did however find a link with two different offers to sell the WBPKIT:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...printer+adapter&um=1&cid=16658424475155993579

Although I cannot speak to the differences between them.

Good luck other wise.

Back