How to play Blu Ray rips on PS?

mikey88

n00b
Thanks for looking and sorry if this topic has been discussed before.I tried searching for this topic here on forum and also through Google, but no good.

I want to know if it's possible to play Blu Ray Rips (2GB size to 8GB) on PS3? If yes, then how to do this. I cannot stream files from another system. All I can do is arrange an external HDD.

Please let me know if it's possible.

run them through mkv2vob. 4Gb size limit for files though
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

run them through mkv2vob. 4Gb size limit for files though
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Hmm, I should convert MKVs to VOB. Then connect external HDD to PS3?

Is there no way I can use movie files of size more than 4GB (without streaming)?

yah you can use an external hd or flash drive. I recommend copying it from the hard drive to the PS3, I find the playback is smoother that way. You can always delete it when you're done off the PS3.

not sure about the 4gb problem, I think streaming works best.

If you can't get it, google "play mkv on ps3" and try the first link that comes up. should help.

Apparently, large files (4gb +) can be transferred/copied onto the PS3 through TVersity or PS3 Media Server. I'm not sure if it is straight up file copying or streaming, though. That's what I'm actually trying to find out.

If you have a DLNA server (tversity, ps3mediaserver, wmp, whatever) and the ps3 can see the files on your computer then you have the option of copying them locally to the ps3. Doing it this way lets you copy any size file you want. If you go through the effort of setting this up though then you might as well just stream from your computer. I have gigabit, but 100mb works well too, haven't tried wireless though.

If you are converting mkv's to play on ps3 you can use mkv2vob's file splitting feature though and create multipart movie files though. This way a 16GB rip can be 4 4GB files and you can watch each of them from your external hard drive.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can't setup a server for streaming so I guess I'll split the files. Hope it will be easy to switch files with the Blu Ray remote (never used it, so don't know).

Back