How To Power Down Windows 8

Zarathustra[H];1038448890 said:
You don't right click on the desktop and change it there like everyone else? :rolleyes:
On neither of my Win7 machines (one a Thinkpad, the other an Asus) is it easily accessible. Perhaps the OEM did something bizarre on them?
Most moronic thing you can possibly do. XP is really just one large turd of a unstable security hole. Running it means you just don't care about malware/viruses/privacy/identity theft/etc. and really just shows you are a huge moron.
As others have said, it's actually not hard to keep an XP machine clean. Sure, it's not as idiot-proof, but I don't consider myself much of an idiot.
These days it is really foolish to run anything pre Vista (or to disable UAC or some other boneheaded stupid move)
UAC is enabled on both my Win7 machines. I fortunately did not have to deal with the UAC issues that Vista had at first.

Zarathustra[H];1038449322 said:
Well, Ubuntu seems to be trying to with the Unity interface, which seems designed for touch screen appliances.

True but you have different flavors of Ubuntu with and without Unity.

I'm wondering how soon someone will make a Kinect mod for Windows 8 functions for those who abhor the thought of touching their monitor with Cheetos covered fingers.

Another reason windows 8 sucks balls and why I am not using it.

Im buying 2 more windows 7 ultimate on the day windows 8 ships.

Another reason windows 8 sucks balls and why I am not using it.

Im buying 2 more windows 7 ultimate on the day windows 8 ships.

Good idea, I think i will buy another copy of win7 when win8 goes retail

I couldn't find the power off button either right away. I did a crtl-alt-del, went back to the "login" screen and found it. I was ready to use the power button.

Although, I have not found it horrible. I was able to re-enable the real admin account, found the administrative tools, and launched everything I was looking for. I actually can see where just a few tiles on the desktop for day to day stuff might actually work. If I count the number of real apps I launch in a typical day in the office I might be talking about 4 to 6 apps. I don't have a love fest for it, but I could see me using it in place of 7.

I dont see very many older users going to 8. Im not even crazy about it at this time and I know my way around the PC. Imagine someone that just learned 7. Unless they can provide a switch for the old GUI, I think MS will be in trouble.

Hay guyz:

No one is forcing you to buy Windows 8

No. But rest assured they'll be a group of W8 fuktards telling us poor W7 dopes that we're missing the greatest OS ever of all time and blah blah blah...your're what's holding technology back and a bunch of rehashed Vista krap. Did I mention Vista and W8 in the same sentence. Hang on!

God that desktop looks awful. I thought Vista looked great(although it was kinda slow) and Windows 7 was the new XP(Really fast yet really nice looking). This just looks like Windows 95 converted to a phone. Fuck this.

No. But rest assured they'll be a group of W8 fuktards telling us poor W7 dopes that we're missing the greatest OS ever of all time and blah blah blah...your're what's holding technology back and a bunch of rehashed Vista krap. Did I mention Vista and W8 in the same sentence. Hang on!

It'll be no worse than those saying that Windows 8 is nothing but a phone OS.

God that desktop looks awful. I thought Vista looked great(although it was kinda slow) and Windows 7 was the new XP(Really fast yet really nice looking). This just looks like Windows 95 converted to a phone. Fuck this.
One major visual issue with Metro right now is that a lot of it is incredibly high-contrast and incredibly aliased on a typical ~100 PPI display. Metro looks great from 10 feet, I'm sure, and probably looks great on a ~200 PPI display, but on a typical PC monitor at a typical sitting distance, the amount of aliasing can be absolutely grotesque. It seems as though Microsoft made certain visual design decisions around products and usage scenarios that simply don't exist.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on where you stand on Metro/iOS), Windows 8 will not run on the iPad 3.

Well, I played with windows 8 for like 15 min today only to think of it as eye candy. It looks good but for the corporate environment I just don't see it being that great. Anyways if things keep going the same pattern they've been going then Windows 8 will suck and Windows 9 will be the next best thing.

that is unless Linux gets big over the next 8 yrs.

Man... if they keep it like that at release, then it would be moronic. I like a few of the things in Windows 8 like the file copy features and remake of task manager thats layed out nice. A few things I thought were great, but it's really not enough to say I should upgrade from Windows 7. I'm very very happy with Win7 as many of you, so it's going to have to be a feature I can't live without for me to upgrade.

All I have to say is that if thats what windows 8 looks like I'll be running windows 7 for a long.. long.. LONG time. That interface is horrible, much worse than android or ios :eek:

The Metro UI is designed, well for Metrosexual dudes! But you're right, it needs to be renamed Win 7 TE, Tablet Edition.

So much effort to shutdown a computer. I think I'll just press and hold the power button instead.

Hay guyz:

No one is forcing you to buy Windows 8

No, but at some point I'm going to be forced to support some fucking retard who buys shit sandwich and expects me to take a bite as well.

Then I'll have to flounder around in "WinDuhz fer Retardz" as well.

Have they enabled Windows Media Center in the Consumer Preview? I'd like to try it out this weekend if they did.

Have they enabled Windows Media Center in the Consumer Preview? I'd like to try it out this weekend if they did.

Yes. You have to search for it (all the "media" metro things are just adverts for paid for music and films...infact 90% of the metro applications are just ad websites). But thankfully it's not a metro application, it just opens on the desktop and appears to be the same one from windows 7.

No, but at some point I'm going to be forced to support some fucking retard who buys shit sandwich and expects me to take a bite as well.

Then I'll have to flounder around in "WinDuhz fer Retardz" as well.

Honestly, Windows 8 is probably going to be the least trouble free version of Windows once people get used to it and there tons of Metro apps. I think the people who are complaining about the support costs are really more fearful of the support becoming easier and less needed.

Microsoft isn't looking at the now. That would be foolish. This is no different that when Lucas alienated all his SW fans with EP1-3. However, what he succeeded in doing is grabbing a whole new generation of SW fans which caused that brand to be re-invented and now well loved again by a new and much larger audience. I think MS is aiming for that; the larger and newer crowd.

One thing that Mr. Jobs was right about is the majority don't want their PC to feel like a tool. They want it to feel like a gadget they constantly play with. People want to do things. They don't want to make posts in "look at my clean desktop" threads. They want to interact, they want to create, they want to be absorbed.

I will agree that "power users" (e.g. the really small minority but all also the biggest bunch of whiners) will have a harder time with windows 8. I know it will cause me some grief at work (I use triple monitor and 8-12 apps open at the same time all in view). But...i'm willing to give it a go or at least deal with it.

After reading this thread, Win 8 sounded like Vista's cute metro brother.

Why can't Win 8 identify what kind of hardware that's obviously suited for Metro UI instead of slapping it upon our widescreen monitors?

WGAF. (Windows Genuine Advantage FAIL)

That was my first look at "Metro".

WTF!?!??!!?

Talk about a steaming pile of dog poop. What were they smoking lol? Good thing they'll offer a "classic" interface option with W8....at least I hope.

It'll be 17 years since Microsoft changed the UI. It's time already. Get over it.

No one here is complaining that they are changing the UI. we are complaining that they are changing it for the worse. The much worse.

If the change were an improvement, people wouldn't complain (at least not as much)

I will agree that "power users" (e.g. the really small minority but all also the biggest bunch of whiners) will have a harder time with windows 8. I know it will cause me some grief at work (I use triple monitor and 8-12 apps open at the same time all in view). But...i'm willing to give it a go or at least deal with it.

I'm as big a power user as any and I Windows 8 giving me more power than ever. All the power of my gaming rig with greater ease of use on my tablets that will be more seamless than ever. It's a dream I've had for many, many years. One OS running across all of my devices and using the same programs and data.

I'm as big a power user as any and I Windows 8 giving me more power than ever. All the power of my gaming rig with greater ease of use on my tablets that will be more seamless than ever. It's a dream I've had for many, many years. One OS running across all of my devices and using the same programs and data.

Apart from you wont be using all the programs because one is massively more powerful than the other. Unless all your programs are mobile applications built to run on some shitty ARM device. Which have next to no point on a desktop, or at least a desktop more powerful than a tablet. Any productivity software would be massively hamstrung, along with any games. It's a nice idea and everything, but it doesn't make practical sense, unless all programs moving forward can work in a minimum 64mb of ram with no proper GPU. Making the filetypes interunderstandable is a much better solution then screwing over everyone, and allows applications to be focused for each platform. Though I suppose people do love console ports...

Also developers would still want to sell 3 versions of everything. Which developer in their right mind would sell one program to work on 3 devices rather than a tablet/desktop/phone version? Unless you get charged a per device licence.

If this is the future of Windows, I will force myself to use Linux. No way I'm going to buy or install windows 8 on my desktop.

Zarathustra[H];1038450602 said:
No one here is complaining that they are changing the UI. we are complaining that they are changing it for the worse. The much worse.

If the change were an improvement, people wouldn't complain (at least not as much)

Worse. To you.

Took me about 20 minutes in a VM to get used to navigating around, pinning applications the way I wanted them, where I wanted them. Installed apps to test, played around with a deploy + capture in MDT 2012. Can't wait to test it in a VDI environment.versus Windows 7, perhaps even on a 'tablet' (Samsung Slate 7 for example).

Windows 8 seems to be akin to Office 2007: Everyone glossed over the new things added and/or improved, but wanted to harp on how it looked different (basically: "I'm resistant to change!").

Microsoft can never win, and people will always complain. Always.

There is no way Metro will be forced even if it is the default startup on consumer versions. No business user is going to accept that radical of a redesign.

Secretly I have been waiting for something like Metro since my first tablet computer. Its success all depends on the apps that power it. Otherwise it'll just end up being cumbersome and next to useless like Windows Gadgets. Not to forget a potentially giant security risk. Just imagine the tiles all turn into ads.

I just dont understand why win8 has to have those lame simple color blocks with white icons in it. It is so windows 3.1 with more color. I was hoping win7 or 8 for that matter would have the ability to have an animated desktop while using, much like my android phone. Hell maybe they should make an android os for the pc.

From what I have seen so far I have a feeling win 8 will be a epic fail like win me was.

BTW those color blocks are just as lame on a phone as they are on a Pc.

They had trouble getting people off win xp. I think they will have even more trouble getting people off win7 at this point.

Apart from you wont be using all the programs because one is massively more powerful than the other. Unless all your programs are mobile applications built to run on some shitty ARM device. Which have next to no point on a desktop, or at least a desktop more powerful than a tablet. Any productivity software would be massively hamstrung, along with any games. It's a nice idea and everything, but it doesn't make practical sense, unless all programs moving forward can work in a minimum 64mb of ram with no proper GPU. Making the filetypes interunderstandable is a much better solution then screwing over everyone, and allows applications to be focused for each platform. Though I suppose people do love console ports...

Also developers would still want to sell 3 versions of everything. Which developer in their right mind would sell one program to work on 3 devices rather than a tablet/desktop/phone version? Unless you get charged a per device licence.

ARM is powerful enough to run the latest version of Office. Metro provides a way to deliver programs that at least of which will be able to run well and be useful across tablets and desktops.

Microsoft can never win, and people will always complain. Always.

This is the challenge of creating still the most popular computer operating system ever. An operating system that would be largely irrelevant in a few years had it not incorporated tablet and touch capabilities. This is the one thing that Metro haters seem to discount.

Back