How To Power Down Windows 8

That doesn't work well with Windows 8 if you need to open something other than an app. If it's in a lower category you have to go hunting for it. <--tis my only real gripe with 8.

Right click the task bar, the Toolbar and check Windows Search and you can search run programs like you did in Windows 7 and Vista from your task bar.

The Start Menu is dated and takes too damn long to get anything done so it isn't fast and efficient. I haven't touched the Start Menu since before XP except in extreme circumstances. Vista and 7 I always simply hit the windows key, type what I want and hit enter. I don't need the Start Menu and having to drill into folders to get my work done and haven't in years. Even at work with XP I just hit Win + R, type and go. Now that's fast and efficient.

Try remembering the names you need to type for over 150 games and apps and then get back to me. Remembering to type "office" and "notepad" may be enough for you but it isn't going to work for me.

Here's a good write up on the complaints about the Consumer Preview. Most will go "An MS shill wrote it," and won't bother reading even though you'd probably find that Thurott is actually right on the money with pretty much everything he says.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-consumer-preview-call-common-sense-142476

Yea, right, the guy has always been a Microsoft stooge. Reading that article makes me see red. It is extremely condescending and he comes across like a prick.

"the world has moved on"

The OS ins't even released yet but according to him the world has moved on. Bullshit.

Try remembering the names you need to type for over 150 games and apps and then get back to me. Remembering to type "office" and "notepad" may be enough for you but it isn't going to work for me.

Funny, I can type "Games" and my Game folder appears at the top of the search...hit enter and I can browse all my games (I know every game I have installed anyways). If I need a specific app I know exactly what I'm looking for. Sorry if you can't do the same.

I am curious how you know your apps if not by their name. Do you recognize them by icon or something?

I am curious how you know your apps if not by their name. Do you recognize them by icon or something?
Ever been in a position where you can't remember an actor's name until you see it written? Same deal.

You know what the app is called; you just can't recall it.

Ever been in a position where you can't remember an actor's name until you see it written? Same deal.

You know what the app is called; you just can't recall it.

I think the Metro UI specifically addresses this concern. It's far better than the Win9x (pre-Vista) start menu for app discovery. I understand the nostalgia for the Vista/7 Start Menu with its search bar, but Metro seems better in just about every way for laying out a visual representation of your applications.

But who actually has this concern? Who's the target market with this stuff?

Apparently kontact, wonderfield and other folks who have trouble remembering the names of the apps they have installed. For me, I don't think anything could be as fast as the Vista/7 start search bar. On the other hand, I don't have shitloads of programs installed. If I type in "photo" I'm going to get Photoshop.

I think it just needs to be more customizable. I have a fairly powerful pc with alot of memory and good video cards. But it seems in the desktop at least windows wont let you use it. If someone wants simple color blocks that is fine but allow me to have all the bling I want in my os. If I want animated backgrounds so be it. If I want more than one color in my icons so be it. If a simple cell phone can handle these things my Pc sure as hell should.

Maybe they should make windows 8 run like an app kinda like media center does in win7. If you want to go metro you can if you want a desktop style setup you can. Then make it a default boot option so you dont have to select which one you want each time.

Funny, I can type "Games" and my Game folder appears at the top of the search...hit enter and I can browse all my games (I know every game I have installed anyways). If I need a specific app I know exactly what I'm looking for. Sorry if you can't do the same.

I don't use games explorer. I just tried it and it does not show my custom games folder, which is called just games. It just shows me that abomination games explorer, which was actually better in Vista than Win7.

Making the desktop like the phone OS? isn't that what people are clamoring for a la the iOS? what Apple is doing can't be wrong can it?

I'm not clamoring for anything Apple let alone iOS looking on my desktop machine.

I think the Metro UI specifically addresses this concern. It's far better than the Win9x (pre-Vista) start menu for app discovery. I understand the nostalgia for the Vista/7 Start Menu with its search bar, but Metro seems better in just about every way for laying out a visual representation of your applications.

Honestly, I'd rather just type in the name of what I'm looking for.

Apparently kontact, wonderfield and other folks who have trouble remembering the names of the apps they have installed.

I have no memory issue as you try to make it look. Hardly anyone would be able to remember all the names of how many apps and games I have installed. Fuck it, don't need or want Win8 anyway. Only reason I even use Windows is because of gaming and not some stupid fucking Metro apps.

I have no memory issue as you try to make it look. Hardly anyone would be able to remember all the names of how many apps and games I have installed. Fuck it, don't need or want Win8 anyway. Only reason I even use Windows is because of gaming and not some stupid fucking Metro apps.

Then click your game and game on. You'll be looking at Metro for all of 2 seconds just like you would your Start menu.

Why waste $200.00 on Microsoft Bob V.20 when I already have Win2K, XP, Vista, and Win7 to game on? I even have a copy of Microsoft Bob somewhere if I want a GUI for children.

In five or seven six, when developers finally start to make use of DirectX 11.1's built-in support for stereoscopic rendering, and when you've finally purchased your 120 Hz Mega-IPS display and low-cost 3D glasses, it will then be time for gamers to upgrade to Windows 8 &#8212; but only if said gamers have any interest in 3D.

I already have the 3D glasses but use it on a 19" CRT so I can use 1024x768 res and still get good frame rates on a GTX460. MY main PC doesn't have a 120hz monitor and that is because they don't make 28" 120hz monitors, yet.

Back