How to properly install components?

Ciggarilo Himself

Limp Gawd
I will be building my first ever system in a couple days(iv owned computers this is just the first im building myself)and im wondering what is the proper way to install components(to avoid static damage)I dont have an antistatic wrist strap and there is no where that I know of that sells them(I live in New Zealand)

So what is the best way to install them to avoid static damage?

touch something else that is grounded, i.e. the metal part of your case.

Stay away from carpet, use glass table if you have it.

Wiki Linkage

"Nobody except you is at fault if you shock your components with static electricity. Make sure that you take the precautions in the previous paragraph to ground yourself from static electricity, such as with an anti-static wrist strap or grounding mat. (Note: if you really must work on a computer and haven't got proper anti-static equipment, it is usually OK if you make sure that you don't move about much; are not wearing any static-prone clothing; handle components by the edges; and regularly (once a minute or so), touch a grounded object.). The case metal of your PC's power supply will usually be a suitable grounded object. As noted above, touch it every few minutes while you are working on your PC. "

Put on wool socks, never lift your feet from the carpet, shuffle around for 20+ minutes (do this before picking up any components), then do your work :)

Kidding. . . You should be just fine if you say away from carpet and touch the metal part of the case before you dig in.

I dont have an antistatic wrist strap and there is no where that I know of that sells them(I live in New Zealand)

Search the web and you'll find instructions on making one. You need a bit of metal that contacts the skin connected through a resistor to a wire that connects to a ground. I've seen web sites that tell you what resistor to use.

I just posted on the motherboard forum about making a ground line that plugs into the wall (assuming a North American style 3 prong plug - not sure what NZ standards are). I use that if the PSU is not plugged in - as when you start with assembly.

Back