How to remove the stickers?

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm sure you guys have stickers on your laptops that are rather unsightly. Mine has a *cardboard* AMD sticker and the Energy star sticker. The surface of the netbook is glossy, so i'm not too keen on scraping it off (One guy was using scissors!!!).

EDIT: Reposted. Weird, only part of my text got posted o_0

Last edited:
I peel them off with my fingernail, then dab some water on the leftover adhesive, let it sit for a minute, then scrape the adhesive off.

GooGone or ArcticClean Step 1 would also get the adhesive off well, but if water works for you that's certainly the cheaper route. :D

GooGone or ArcticClean Step 1 would also get the adhesive off well, but if water works for you that's certainly the cheaper route. :D

I'm one of those people that's sketchy on whether or not an adhesive remover would cosmetically damage whatever the sticker is on (plastic or metal or what have you). Even if you test on a small, unnoticeable area, I would rather take the extra 2 minutes dabbing the water on and waiting. What would be the point in removing the sticker only to replace it with a blemish :p

Hair dryer on low. You just need to get it warm, don't overdo it. Then use alcohol to clean up the residue.

Don't use a heat gun, Tim Taylor. :p

@pxc
Thanks! I ran some games until it got hot and it peeled off easily without needing too much pressure. The alcohol and tissue dissolved the rest :)

I tried cleaning fluid before the alcohol but it wasn't working.

I'm gonna keep the hologram ones, but the cardboard and the blue star just had to go. Thanks guys.

I took all the stickers off my netbook. The Energy star came off by just pealing it. I took the Atom and Windows 7 ones off by slipping a razor blade under them and peeling them up. if you get it at just the right angle it only takes the sticker up and doesn't scratch the PC at all.

Just rip em off by hand, and remove the residue with Scotch tape. Put some tape over the residue with a part of it sticking off, rub it to make it adhere, and then remove the tape. The residue should come off with the tape. Works really well for me at least.

The blow dryer suggestion is the way to go. Medium to hot exhaust for a few minutes, with the dryer in motion will soften up the adhesive and make it a lot easier to just slide the stickers off/out of position. Once that's done, and the adhesive is still soft, Scotch tape or whatever can be used to dab up the leftovers and you're done, 5 minutes tops, no scratches (from razors, which someone suggested), no damage whatsoever.

I've been doing it that way for years now, can't stand those stupid stickers on the palmrests, after a period of time they tend to flake up at the corners and ouch, talk about paper cuts hurting, these sharp-edged plastic stickers are even worse. ;)

I bought a toolbox one time, and the hairdryer and water approach didn't clean the residue. It took forever, but I found vegetable oil finally cleaned it off. However, you still need to use water to get read of the greasiness. This was a paper price sticker though, so it may not be the best approach for this.

Back