How to remove thermal epoxy

holli4pirating

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried searching on here and through google, but still couldn't come up with anything.

I have some spare heatsinks that I pulled off a dead mobo. They were put on there by the previous owner, and they were epoxy-ed on. I'm not talking about thermal greese/adhiesive. The stuff that's on the heatsinks is white and very hard. I'm hoping there's some way to get it off without sanding it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

submerge it in denatured alcohol and let it soak, then scrape it off with an old credit card or similar plastic object.

Denatured alcohol is just rubbing alcohol with a very high alcohol percentage. You could probably do it with regular rubbing alcohol, it just wouldn't work as quickly.

Drug Stores have it.

Or, get the 99% stuff, for 1.83$ a bottle at your local... um... walgreens? (or whatever you guys have down there).

***WEGMANS, *that's* it.***

I got 97% Isopophyl alchohol at walmart for like i think $1.50 or something. It works really well.

The way i do it is i first use a paper towel to rub off the bulk of it, then i use a q tip soaked in rubbing alchohol and wipe the whole surface of the plate until my q-tip comes out almost clean after rubbing it then just give it a minute or two to finish drying

Back