How to return HL2 RETAIL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrizzleFried

Limp Gawd
I just got off the phone with VU Games regarding returning my copy of Half Life 2. If you are as upset over the requirement of an open client such as STEAM running while you play single player and you are having difficulty returning your software to the point of purchase, you can mail your copy back to VU Games and they will refund your money.

Send your name, address, phone number, copy of receipt and a letter explaining why you want a refund to:

Vivendi Universal Games
Attn: Refund Department
4247 S. Minnewawa Ave
Fresno, CA 93725-9345

The gentleman I spoke to was not sure as to why VALVe decided to require the STEAM client to run while playing single player and referred me to STEAM/VALVe (of course). He did say that he has had "A good number" of people calling asking for refund because of this requirement. He also said the he believes that VALVe/UV Games are trying to come up with another way to authenticate, but when I pressed him for more info, it appeared he pulled that idea out of his ass because he had nothing else to say....and considering I just received my first reply from VALVe regarding this mess which reads (in part):

"...there are currently no plans on lifting the Steam requirement for Half-Life 2."

I think he was blowing sunshine up my ass.

Why anybody would want to return such an awesome game as Half-Life 2 is beyond me... :rolleyes:

Blackdog said:
Why anybody would want to return such an awesome game as Half-Life 2 is beyond me... :rolleyes:

I second that. It is also beyond me when anyone would buy the game in the first place when an internet connection is clearly marked on the box as a minimum requirement.

Because the people POSTING ONLINE don't have a connection? Obviously they have access somehow. Maybe they can authenticate then switch to offline mode. Which I hear works only if you have your machine IS disconnected from the 'net.

FrizzleFried said:
I just got off the phone with VU Games regarding returning my copy of Half Life 2. If you are as upset over the requirement of an open client such as STEAM running while you play single player and you are having difficulty returning your software to the point of purchase, you can mail your copy back to VU Games and they will refund your money.

Send your name, address, phone number, copy of receipt and a letter explaining why you want a refund to:

Vivendi Universal Games
Attn: Refund Department
4247 S. Minnewawa Ave
Fresno, CA 93725-9345

The gentleman I spoke to was not sure as to why VALVe decided to require the STEAM client to run while playing single player and referred me to STEAM/VALVe (of course). He did say that he has had "A good number" of people calling asking for refund because of this requirement. He also said the he believes that VALVe/UV Games are trying to come up with another way to authenticate, but when I pressed him for more info, it appeared he pulled that idea out of his ass because he had nothing else to say....and considering I just received my first reply from VALVe regarding this mess which reads (in part):

"...there are currently no plans on lifting the Steam requirement for Half-Life 2."

I think he was blowing sunshine up my ass.

He's not "blowing sunshine" up your ass. Steam is mandatory to stem piracy. Is that so hard to understand?

i won't say that anyone is a dipsh*t but i think that it is jumping to conclusions...

hl2 should have it clearly marked on the box that an internet connection is needed just to play singleplayer mode... normally if it is listed on there that means for a) registration or b) multiplayer.

needing a net connection for singleplayer mode is bonkers anyways. whoever came up with that ought to be dragged out into the street and shot.

as for me, i basically cannot download it. i have a machine that might be able to play it... barely... but i don't have dsl and it's too expensive for me right now. i certainly can't spend 5hrs downloading a f*cking 100mb program that should already be on the cds... nor can i waste online time being on steam when i'm playing hl2.

therefore i will be unable to play it and valve isn't gonna get my money. if enough people did this then valve would have what is technically termed a "turkey".

FrizzleFried said:
but when I pressed him for more info, it appeared he pulled that idea out of his ass because he had nothing else to say...
OR
he happens to be under an NDA or some other type of non disclosure contract since he works there ?
sheesh. :rolleyes:

NOTD665: Grow up...

This is for the people out there who purchased RETAIL CD's who didn't realize that an open client (STEAM) would be required to even run the single player portion of the game. When I read that an Internet Connection was required, I assumed it was for multiplayer (which I am not interested in) not single player.

Infantile flames certainly isn't going to change my (nor a good number of other folks here) opinion of the unacceptable requirement to run the STEAM client in the background. If you can't comprehend my issues with this fact, then don't reply because you make yourself look like a moron.

So if you have a broadband connection, and don't want STEAM accessing the net while you play HL2, then just disable the connection and start STEAM.....I am pretty sure a monkey with one hand up it's arse could handle that......but then again that is asking a lot from most people on these boards.

The box is clearly marked that having a net connection is needed.....get over it.

Triath said:
Three cheers for Offline mode!!!

... which still needs a net connection and a steam account to work. and i would still have to spend 5hrs downloading CS:S which i will in all likelyhood never play.

FrizzleFried said:

This is for the people out there who purchased RETAIL CD's who didn't realize that an open client (STEAM) would be required to even run the single player portion of the game. When I read that an Internet Connection was required, I assumed it was for multiplayer (which I am not interested in) not single player.

Infantile flames certainly isn't going to change my (nor a good number of other folks here) opinion of the unacceptable requirement to run the STEAM client in the background. If you can't comprehend my issues with this fact, then don't reply because you make yourself look like a moron.

Unacceptable?????

If you want to play the game....you have to use STEAM.....why is that unacceptable? You need to realize that you don't get everything your way.....I guess you need to do a bit of growing up yourself. :rolleyes:

Steam is mandatory to stem piracy. Is that so hard to understand?

You ARE joking, right? I could have downloaded HL2 prior to it even being available in my local GameStop.

FrizzleFried said:

You sir are the one who is acting infantile and not comprehending the issue. On all games that I have bought that say internet connection they also have (for multiplayer) in brackets or if they are more sporty ... following a "-", if they mean internet connection for multiplayer.

I thought everyone understood HL2 needed an internet connection to activate .... it was all over the boards, reviews..... maybe you should have educated yourself on the game requirements before making an un-informed purchase.

Unacceptable?????

If you want to play the game....you have to use STEAM.....why is that unacceptable? You need to realize that you don't get everything your way.....I guess you need to do a bit of growing up yourself.

Hey genius, that is the purpose of this thread. For those who find this situation UNACCEPTABLE they can now return their software and CHOOSE not to support such an assinine requirement.

starhawk said:
... which still needs a net connection and a steam account to work. and i would still have to spend 5hrs downloading CS:S which i will in all likelyhood never play.

You authenticate ONCE!

If you don't want updates, don't want to play CSS, don't want to ever have STEAM access the net again....but still would like to play HL2.....BLOCK STEAM FROM ACCESSING THE INTERNET!

It is called offline mode for a reason.....it is offline. derr!

Am I the only one that can disable my net connection, double click the little icon for HL2 and be offered to play in offline mode? Didn't think so.

All you all need to quit your bitching.
:rolleyes:

Just as a warning, remember fellas, flaming is against the rules of the forum.

What the fuck...I posted this message not to flame anyone but to give those of us out there who find this requirement unacceptable a way to get their money back. I didn't say the game sucked (it appears to be a pretty damn good game from the minutes I have played), I just provided information. Now get off my ass about it. Thats all I am going to say.

If you like the game and can accept the STEAM requirements...great...more power to you. If you don't want to accept the STEAM requirement, then go get your money back...that simple.

No flames required.

FrizzleFried said:
Hey genius, that is the purpose of this thread. For those who find this situation UNACCEPTABLE they can now return their software and CHOOSE not to support such an assinine requirement.

Oh noze! The company that made the game I want to play is asking me to authenticate the game ONCE.....what is poor little 'ole me to do!?

Authenticate ONCE, and get over it.

Erm, some people are claiming people are complaining about the fact that it requires a net connection to authenticate...this thread is a complaint about Steam being a mandatory installation component. If GameSpy Arcade (another relatively shittily coded piece of software, in my view) was required to play Halo - even the single player - would you be content and not complain about it as long as the company threw out some buzzwords about it being a "next generation content delivery platform"?

FrizzleFried said:
What the fuck...I posted this message not to flame anyone but to give those of us out there who find this requirement unacceptable a way to get their money back. I didn't say the game sucked (it appears to be a pretty damn good game from the minutes I have played), I just provided information. Now get off my ass about it. Thats all I am going to say.

If you like the game and can accept the STEAM requirements...great...more power to you. If you don't want to accept the STEAM requirement, then go get your money back...that simple.

No flames required.

I like how you consider a difference of opinion, to the opinion that you typed(you know, that blubber under the address section), to be flaming.

No Tiny...I consider the guy who called me a DIPSHIT a flamer....or perhaps that was removed by a moderator already?

Nope...still there:

Forgive my honesty.

But you're a dipshit.

I live in a remote part of the country, and we still do not have broadband where I live. I have had the game installed since this morning, and I have still not gotten to play the single player part of the game. I am spending hours authenticating, registering, unlocking, etc. If I don't see a game soon, I will be sending mine back as well. That might make me a dipshit too.

last time I checked, hl2 minimum requirements listed an internet connection :confused:

don't complain just because it's too hard for you to read the requirements.

Cut the fucking wankery. Some people have spent hours upon hours just trying to "authenticate" their legitimately purchased copies, to no avail. They have extremely legitimate reasons to be pissed.

I never saw any of these problems with WON.net authentication.

I'll say this once and leave you kids to your own devices. You're acting like children.

The fact that the entire process of authentication for a Retail game is causing an issue for others and not yourself does not make their issues any less valid. Why you have some inane need to try and attack that is beyond me.

I put up one warning against flaming, I shouldn't even have to, I won't be putting up any more.

I fail to see why my comment was deleted ....

yet somehow it is considered a smart comment when people bitch about steam, when it is clearly labeled on the side of the box, an internet connection is required.

.... well I didn't see the post above me before posting this.... and aparently superman is dead so there is no more spining the earth the other way to turn back time.

finalgt said:
Cut the fucking wankery. Some people have spent hours upon hours just trying to "authenticate" their legitimately purchased copies, to no avail. They have extremely legitimate reasons to be pissed.

I never saw any of these problems with WON.net authentication.

in his sig: I give you the courtesy of speaking respectfully without bringing preteen insults and !!!!!! propaganda into it, so why don't you do the same for me?

Hhmmmm.........

Don't in anyway discuss cracks to bypass playing HL2 without Steam.

mpeg4v3 said:
last time I checked, hl2 minimum requirements listed an internet connection :confused:

don't complain just because it's too hard for you to read the requirements.
I have an internet connection just not broadband. Try this crap on dialup, and you would not be happy either. Nuff said.

Tiny said:
You authenticate ONCE!

If you don't want updates, don't want to play CSS, don't want to ever have STEAM access the net again....but still would like to play HL2.....BLOCK STEAM FROM ACCESSING THE INTERNET!

It is called offline mode for a reason.....it is offline. derr!

Am I the only one that can disable my net connection, double click the little icon for HL2 and be offered to play in offline mode? Didn't think so.

All you all need to quit your bitching.

ummm... phew, tiny, you might want to get an eco for the ol' thinker cuz it sounds about thunk out there... no offense of course. just... jeez. phew...

(1) the offline mode is a HACK. you need a net connection to make the hack.
(2) in order to make the hack work, you have to get ClientRegistry.blob off Steam... the ONLY way to do this is via registering an account with them.
(3) in order to complete (2) you have to update steam.
(4) from MY understanding, CS:S is neither optional nor an update. if you don't want it, then you don't buy hl2.
(5) total file size is roughly 140MB (137.33MB for exactly 5hrs of download)... and that's at 56kbps. i never get above 36.4kbps where i live :( meaning that it would be closer to 7hrs at that size...

kurt454 said:
I have an internet connection just not broadband. Try this crap on dialup, and you would not be happy either. Nuff said.

one of my friends had dial-up back home and had nearly no problems getting the game setup. of course, for all I know, he was having the same issues as everyone else, but he might have just understood why these problems happened, how valve was trying to fix it, how steam has enormous potential, and how all of these problems are necessary so that valve can fix more bugs for whatever next major release there is. so in other words, I think he just understood the fact that valve is attempting to be a pioneer in the field, and all pioneers in the field will have some problems, and to just give them some time

odoe said:
The fact that the entire process of authentication for a Retail game is causing an issue for others and not yourself does not make their issues any less valid. Why you have some inane need to try and attack that is beyond me.

Very simple, super mod. It's called Steam/Valve f.a.n.b.o.y.i.s.m.

kurt454 said:

Well unlocking 4Gb's wont take 20 seconds, but it shouldnt take more than an hour. Leave it on over night?

Very simple, super mod. It's called Steam/Valve f.a.n.b.o.y.i.s.m.

Yeah thats it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think some people forget that the only way Valve can improve Steam is by using it, and fixing what pops up. So the best you can do is buy it, if it doesnt work email them and tell them whats wrong and whats going on and return it without making a huge damn deal about it.

Steam is new, this is a new process. For the most part they fixed the majority of the steam server crashes and i'm sure they can fix this too.

starhawk said:
ummm... phew, tiny, you might want to get an eco for the ol' thinker cuz it sounds about thunk out there... no offense of course. just... jeez. phew...

(2) in order to make the hack work, you have to get ClientRegistry.blob off Steam... the ONLY way to do this is via registering an account with them.
(3) in order to complete (2) you have to update steam.
(4) from MY understanding, CS:S is neither optional nor an update. if you don't want it, then you don't buy hl2.
(5) total file size is roughly 140MB (137.33MB for exactly 5hrs of download)... and that's at 56kbps. i never get above 36.4kbps where i live :( meaning that it would be closer to 7hrs at that size...

Are you insane....seriously....do they know you are out and are accessing the internet?

HACK!? Since when does a feature of the companies program become a HACK!?
It says you have to register ONCE.
Correct...CSS is a mandatory install, so what, you install it...then delete it.
You 'update' STEAM once.
So what if the size is big.....IT IS PART OF A FULL FREAKIN' GAME, NOT A FLASH VERSION OF TETRIS!
Authenticating and unlocking can mean they are needing to do more than that, but they don't have to spell it out to you.

Seriously, get over it. :rolleyes:

starhawk said:

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but did I hack Steam last night when my cable went out and it asked me to start in offline mode? I remember playing Half Life last night with out any problems beyong the occasional stuttering. But I get nervous around Alyx.

to tiny and all allied with valve:

i will never purchase half life 2. there are several serious problems with the game, not the least of which is the one that we have been arguing over: downoading incredibly huge files and spending time online.

if i purchase a game from a store, then i expect everything to be on the cd. i do not expect to need to do anything other than register the program online. once i have done that, i do not expect to need the internet for anything further except multiplayer... which i don't use cuz i don't have friends (being a geek).

furthermore, several bugs have been pointed out with the operation of the game. these should have gotten ironed out in beta. they were not. that's valve's problem.

therefore i will not be giving my money to valve. it would be wrong for me to support a company when i do not agree with their business practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back