How to run my setup?

thekiefs

Limp Gawd
Well, with me ordering my system, I am a little lost as to what to do with my storage management. I plan on getting these:

Western Digital 320GB SATA 8MB WD3200JD (that 139.00 deal is HOT!)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM WD740GD

At first I was thinking to use the 320 as my main and 74 as a gaming, but NOW I'm thinking I should use the 74 for OS, games and apps and the 320 for music, storage etc.

Also, how the hell should I go partitioning both drives? I've never partitioned anything before, but it seems weird. Does it show up as seperate folders or drives in windows or something?

Fast drives for fast things :)
Need to load levels fast? Use the raptor.
Need to access MP3s? Use the 320GB.

Basicly, anything that would slow down if the hard drive isn't up to par, you need to put on the fastest hard drive possible.

As for partitioning, I just use one partition per drive. My OS and programs are on my fast drive, which gets wiped clean every month or so. Any saved games or other nifty things I don't want to lose are backed up to my 320GB or my myriad of random 40GBs I have laying around.

thanks, os games and appz on 10k, extra on the 320.

Do I partition before installing windows or after? Is that possible. I know I should read a guide or two huh

I wouldn't bother partitioning the Raptor. Just make the drive one big partition & format during Windows setup. Once it's installed you can partition and format the 320 in disk administrator.

edit: OS, apps, games on the Raptor. I'd put swap on the 320 unless you have 2GB+, then it doesn't really matter where it goes since you probably won't use it anyway. It's better to have swap on a different disk, even if the disk is a bit slower.

Back