How to unfrost a plexi window?

twitchee2

Limp Gawd
What is the best way to unfrost a plexi window? I sanded it with 120grit sand paper to make it frosted. thanks.

Sand it with increasingly fine sandpaper (use a sanding block!) up to around 2000 grit, and then polish with 3M or Novus polishing compound. I can't remember the exact name of the polishing stuff, but I'm sure someone will.

Have you thought about just replacing the plexi? It might be a lot easier...

The simple answer : Get a new peice of plexi. That peice of plexi will never be reasonably clear again, without spending more than what it would cost for a new peice. Sanding it scratches the hell out of the surface to make it 'frosted'.

Spraying clear paint on it *might* help, though Im not quite sure. Though, if its a solvent based paint its just going to ruin the plexi.

If this were car-paint, I would tell you to get out some 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper, and sand it smooth, then polish...

Im going to test out my theory with the clear paint, if it works/doesnt work, ill post a reply.

Edit : nope, didnt really work. It made the scratches dissapear slightly, though overall its still fairly blurry.

mayb clear paint scratch filler?

honestly better off just buying new plexi, its not that expensive

yea i thought about buying a piece but it would be a pain to install it, going in a TT tsunami. Is there a way to heat polish it?

indecisivness ftl

Why would it be so hard to replace.

Take it off and see if you can flame polish it.

Flame polishing will make some improvement, but it will be far from clear. It will also leave it uneven and distorted. To work well flame polishing still requires the surface to be sanded very close to being smooth, any deep scratches from the 120 grit will most definately still be there.

What I personally do...
Fine ( I mean VERY fine) wet sand paper, sand it down totally (take your time and use lots of water). When its all sanded I clean the surface off (soap and water), then get a blow torch out and go over it all melting the very fine sanding down to make the surface almost liquidified. If you put the torch down on a spot for to long it WILL bubble effectivly destroying that area. It also may catch on fire..

Test it out before hand on some scrap.

ok im too lazy ill just make a new peice fit...it too much work to unforst it. Thanks

Bob hit it right on the nose. Glad you are getting a new piece. "unfrosting" or un- anything should never be done when you have a perfectly good alternative.

Back