how to update firmware on LSI SAS RAID controller??

LibertySyclone

[H]ard|Gawd
I am dumbfounded by this stupid thing.....

I can build the array and when I get into windows (installer or recover from WHS) and install the card drivers my "virtual" drive doesnt show up with my 2 Savvios in R0, but with my sata connector my 2 74GB raptors show up and will install windows.

So this makes me think that it needs a firmware update?

How do I do it?? I cant figure it out for the life of me and I am about to give someone a great deal on Savvio drives and a RAID controller.....

LSI SAS 8344ELP RAID controller

2 74gb Seagate Savvio 15k drives

Other useless info (750i SLI FTW, controller in PCI-e #1, q6600/4gb ocz/GTX 280 in bottom PCI-e)

If I am doing something wrong feel free to tell me I am a douche and then point me in the right direction...

Using the megacli in linux (I assume the syntax is the same for Windows):

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f $IMGFILE -a0

-a0 specifies that you're flashing adapter 0.

Gotcha I think

So basically put it in a system that already has windows on it, install Mega CLI, update firmware, hope that it works....

I am taking it to work to mess with I guess :)

Thanks guys, i was beyond frustrated last night with it,

Gotcha I think

So basically put it in a system that already has windows on it, install Mega CLI, update firmware, hope that it works....

I am taking it to work to mess with I guess :)

Thanks guys, i was beyond frustrated last night with it,

You can get megacli for all different OSes. You could make a dos bootable disk to flash firmware, flash it from a bootable linux dvd/cd, etc...

Click me

If you are putting this in an existing WIndows machine, then just use the megacli for Windows as that would be the easiest option.

I updated the firmware today at work on a spare machine I had. The SAS drives then showed up in the Windows installer, so I am crossing my fingers that it works with a WHS restore.

I will update tonite when I get it in. or maybe check the FS section for nice SAS setup tomorrow morning LOL

So you have created the array and installed the drivers.. Is the virtual drive in Device Manager? It won't show up in My Computer till after you run Disk Management and create at least one partition on it.

So you have created the array and installed the drivers.. Is the virtual drive in Device Manager? It won't show up in My Computer till after you run Disk Management and create at least one partition on it.

I want to run them as my OS drive(s)

So I got home late last night and messed with them again for about a half hour and once again they wont show up.

They did show up in the work machine I had them in yesterday in Disk manager, but if i would try to partition them it would give me an error that the drives werent initialized.

Any Ideas would be helpful.... I will have a few hours tonite to mess with it.

It is starting to sound like a compatibility issue with your system.. You could try swapping PCIe slots..

Did you get the firmware updated yet?

I did update the firmware.

I will swap it to the bottom slot tonite, I was really hoping that the 750i SLI FTW wouldnt have an issue.

I think its weird that it picks up SATA drives across the controller and not the SAS.

I have a P35 laying around somewhere that i will give a shot if the 750 doesnt pan out.

I think its weird that it picks up SATA drives across the controller and not the SAS.

Wait, SATA drives connected to the LSI controller work? Or are the SATA drives connected to your SATA ports?

Have you tried moving the SAS drives to other ports? Or seeing if they show up when they are configured as stand alone drives rather than in RAID?

Yes the SATA drives show up when they are attached to the controller (i have both a SAS and SATA cable) SATA drives are 2-74gb Raptors

The controller can see both (SAS) drives and can create a virtual disk (Raid0) from them

Windows Vista when installing cannot see the controller/drives even when i install the Vista x64 drivers from LSI

But on the work system that I Flashed the firmware on (7150 evga NVIDIA board) it did show up in the installer and in windows disk management. BUT when i tried to partition in in windows it would come back and give me an error that said the disk could not be partitioned because it had not initialized.

I did notice that even after I setup the virtual disk that it initializes and takes a while doing it every time other RAID cards that I have dealt with once the array is setup as long as the original discs are there its bootup is very fast.

Update for tonite

I can see and partition/setup the drives in windows

however I cannot see them in the Vista x64 install or under my WHS restore disc...even with the LSI drivers.

I am assuming at this point that it is a motherboard issue?

Well if it works in windows, I'd say it's not a hardware issue.. It's gotta be a driver issue.

Are you sure you got the right drivers for the card you have and the OS you are running? (64bit etc)

Yes I am 100% sure on the right drivers, I even tried WRONG drivers to see if that would do anything...

So weird thing just happened.

I left my Raptors (current OS drives mobo Raid0) hooked up and booted the Windows install disc and you would never guess what showed up??? Stupid little SAS R0 array :)

Then on reboot when it trys to finish the install it BSOD'd, I am repairing right now to see if that will fix it.

I think that the mobo has to have a HDD hooked up to enable something in its SATA to see the SAS setup??

I'll have to update tomorrow the office is on and the wife is mad.

Well you could try the P35 board just see what happens with it.. Get that possible issue crossed off the list.

One thing just crossed my mind.. Dell Perc5 cards have SM-Bus issues, and you could try disabling that just to see if it works.. Cover from the top side of the card, the 5th and 6th PCIe pins from the left with either nail polish or tape.

going once going twice Sold to the douche bag that cant make a NVIDIA chip that works with a RAID controller.

P35 install went FLAWLESSLY and shit damn are these drives fast... I need to do a HDtune on it.

thanks for all your help Lazn/Volkum/Shaggy

and to anyone who suggested SAVVIOS!!

hopefully this thread will come up in a google search with people wanting to know that the 750i FTW doesnt like RAID controllers.

PS cant wait for an affordable SLI X58 that I can run, if my SLI backplane idea doesnt pan out

just for reference, i did this in the score thread as well.

first real HD tune run

Capture-1.jpg

oof, benching running OS volumes is always soooo ugly. glad you got it working though

Back