How well would the console client work with dialup?

Pebkac

Gawd
This weekend I might have the opportunity to borg someone's pc that I built for them. It is a core 2 duo, but it is not on 24/7 and they are still on dialup internet. Would the console client be feasible for this? Will it wait until they connect to send/get results? They are pretty computer illiterate so the less they have to monkey with it the better. Thanks for any advice.

I would, but they are over 50 miles away and gas isn't getting any cheaper.

i was running a client over the summer w/ dialup....worked fine.....took a while to get/send some packets, but otherwise it was fine. it will basically fail sending/receiving until the user connects, but otherwise it will work just as good as anything

This weekend I might have the opportunity to borg someone's pc that I built for them. It is a core 2 duo, but it is not on 24/7 and they are still on dialup internet. Would the console client be feasible for this? Will it wait until they connect to send/get results? They are pretty computer illiterate so the less they have to monkey with it the better. Thanks for any advice.

If it's not on 24/7 it might be tricky for the SMP client, but the regular client will be fine, it will just sit there trying to make a connection if you've got it set up properly.

I figured the SMP would be too much hassle for now, I planned on going with the regular client. If it just sits and waits for a connection I will go ahead and borg it. Thanks for the replies.

I figured the SMP would be too much hassle for now, I planned on going with the regular client. If it just sits and waits for a connection I will go ahead and borg it. Thanks for the replies.

Gnewbury is right, the SMP client needs to see a network connection full time or it simply stops.

Stick with the standard clients to be safe;)

Gnewbury is right, the SMP client needs to see a network connection full time or it simply stops.

Stick with the standard clients to be safe;)

Can you further define "full time" ?

I've a flaky network (Cox sucks) and sometimes it's off for a few hours. The only times I've seen the client stop is when the net's down and the client is booted up, for example after a power out, turn the system on, no net, client just hangs.

Back