How will AMD respond?

spectrumbx

[H]ard|Gawd
AMD is about to be eclipsed in 3 months by Intel.
How can you argue with a 2.4Ghz Quad @ $266?

How will AMD respond to this eclipse? $40 X2 cpus? 4 sockets FX (LOL)?

From what I've gathered after looking at several sites the $266 price is supposed to be a bulk price and might not be an end user price. But we've seen rumors of prices before and most of the time they aren't right.

Beside AMD has to do something I just bought $5000 worth of there stock.:( :(

This comment may be deemed inappropriate; if so, I apologize.

Frankly, I don't know what it is about today's world being in such a big hurry. In all facets of life, it seems, everyone and his uncle seems so concerned about what's going to happen way before its own time. In politics, in sports, in business... even in computer chips, everyone seems so antsy about predictions and likely outcomes.

Whatever happened to just sitting tight and taking things day by day?

Perhaps it's all this speculative information that drives me nuts about technical discussions in most forums these days. Mind you, I'd like to declare that I'm all for the most performance you can get for the least money you can spend, but why is everyone getting so anxious about things that may or may not happen as they say they will?

I simply don't get that.

(End of rant.)

From what I've gathered after looking at several sites the $266 price is supposed to be a bulk price and might not be an end user price. But we've seen rumors of prices before and most of the time they aren't right.

Beside AMD has to do something I just bought $5000 worth of there stock.:( :(
Those prices are from Intel so they are not rumors. Also the bulk price is pretty much what you will pay at places like Newegg.

I think that chip will end up being Intels 3600+... Figuratively speaking.

To tell you the truth Txtmstrjoe, I think the phenomena you are describing will always be heavily present in the technology industry. As time passes, not only will bigger breakthroughs be achieved shorter intervals, but the speed and efficiency margins will increase exponentially. Many of us have been enthusiasts of the PC industry from it's birth to the present. I think this attached some of us emotionally to companies that develop the technologies that have forged the environment we are currently in.

Partly, I would say the heavily speculative conversations that go are initiated purely from hype of the media outlets. Perhaps even with the nearly perverted obsession some of us have with competition, enjoying almost any aspect of it as if it were a sport. -But most of all, I think it's the huge insinuations of what would happen to our beloved industry if some of the speculations were to come to fruition.

Anyway, good point Txtmstrjoe and I'm sure we all get tired of it sometimes.

As for the price of the Intel Quad (read: double dual) -I believe that's purely the price in the channel. It would probably be a good 15-25% higher. Not sure though man. Would be hard to beat that price point if that's what it will cost of the shelf.

As for the price of the Intel Quad (read: double dual) -I believe that's purely the price in the channel. It would probably be a good 15-25% higher. Not sure though man. Would be hard to beat that price point if that's what it will cost of the shelf.

Intel's official tray price for E6600 = $316
Newegg's advertised price for E6600 = $313

Do you think distributors only buy 1,000 units and don't get any rebates?

Intel's official tray price for E6600 = $316
Newegg's advertised price for E6600 = $313

Do you think distributors only buy 1,000 units and don't get any rebates?

No, I would think distributors buy very large quantities and are subject to all sorts of incentives. I apologize for my percentage figure, from your links it looks like prices could in fact be very close to OPs price extracted from the price chart floating around. Economics are far to complex for me to debate, but I appreciate your point as it looks like I was quite a bit off. Although, I'm sure we can both agree that the prices, if they were to translate to the consumer without much inflation, then it will make for an exciting third quarter. :)

amd will have to released a great top of the line product with Barcelona on time in Q2 to create a halo effect on the upcoming (Q3) X4 and X2s based on k10. As long as AMD can have better performance, they can the more muscle in determining prices.

if intel is selling C2Q for $266, which is a wonderful deal, their bottomline will be affected as much as AMD. Seems like Intel is really going for AMDs jugular this round.

AMD is about to be eclipsed in 3 months by Intel.
How can you argue with a 2.4Ghz Quad @ $266?

How will AMD respond to this eclipse? $40 X2 cpus? 4 sockets FX (LOL)?

That price is slated for Q3 2007, which can be as late as the end of September. I'm not sure why you would think it's only 3 months away.

Desktop prices here.

I think the main reason why people are in such a hurry with the new technology is simple; Price. Guys are always upgrading, and they don't want to feel slighted by buying a $300 cpu and have it turn around and be $150 in 2 months. It's a common effect in this industry more so than any other tech related products. You don't see Samsung cutting the price on their 45"
lcd tvs in half now that they have a 60" model.

amd will have to released a great top of the line product with Barcelona on time in Q2 to create a halo effect on the upcoming (Q3) X4 and X2s based on k10. As long as AMD can have better performance, they can the more muscle in determining prices.

if intel is selling C2Q for $266, which is a wonderful deal, their bottomline will be affected as much as AMD. Seems like Intel is really going for AMDs jugular this round.

Actually the opposite is true.

Intel's ASP is 130$ as of Q4 2006.Selling $266 parts like hot cakes makes your ASP go up , not down while cost is kept under control.

Besides , Intel's ASP went up in Q1 2007 which is nothing short of incredible while AMD's plummeted.

Bank of America believes Intel's (NasdaqGS: INTC) stock has come under pressure in recent weeks amidst concerns that Intel has responded to AMD's aggressive price moves with a new (unscheduled) round of price cuts.

Firm believes concerns over additional price cuts overblown. Firm's checks suggest that Intel has not initiated any broad-based price cuts this quarter post the pre-scheduled Jan 21st price reductions. In fact, contrary to what had been reported in Digitimes, where a 5-10% reduction for two Intel processors was reported (Pentium D series 915 and 820), they believe the only cut initiated (~10%) was on the 915 on Mar 4th. They note that this was a pre-scheduled cut, and that perhaps more importantly, our checks still support no change in ASPs for premium Core 2 Duo desktop processors.

Jan SIA data confirms a stable pricing environment for Intel. The channel data points are also consistent with firm's analysis of the Jan SIA data for microprocessors (MPUs), which showed that pricing (on a 3-mo moving avg. basis) rose 3.7% M/M - the biggest rise in 18 months. Given the ASP declines in AMD processor ASPs, the uptick in pricing reported by the SIA was by definition driven solely by improving ASPs for Intel.

Intel has been enjoying torturing AMD of late and now has it just about where it likes AMD to be - beaten down. Now Intel can concentrate on its own gross margins and as the margins go, so does the stock.

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070316/29793_id.html?.v=2

Well if that article wasnt written by a !!!!!!, I'll be damned.

What's your problem dubby?

That research indicates rising ASPs for the wrong company ?

Weren't you the smart guy who said that "Graphs cannot reflect reality. Graphs exist solely to misrepresent data." ?You remind me of Bagdad Bob , if you know who he is.

bagdad_bob_large.gif

Well if that article wasnt written by a !!!!!!, I'll be damned.

You just can not accept something you dont like being ahead or being in a positive light?

let me guess, you want the option to uninstall 1 of the cores if needed?

I don't understand the intrigue here. Intel is ahead in top-end performance and raw speed scaling, but these two companies have been leapfrogging for years. AMD's turn is coming in June, and we'll see what they have to offer. Intel has been working the PR machine like crazy the last year, saying how much ahead they are with manufacturing process, although it's not clear how much benefit that actually is if the processes are pushed ahead in an "immature" state.

AMD's architecture seems to be much better-optimized for multiple cores- isn't this their second generation mc architecture coming up, while Intel is essentially still on it's first? Intel will have their first true quad-core sometime in late 2008 (last I heard); AMDs is in June. Intel will have their 1st gen integrated memory controller in late 2008; AMDs 2nd gen design is in June (supporting mirroring and dynamically clocked, "asymmetric" dual-channel memory).

I think that AMD is paying much more attention to the big picture of price/watts/performance and this seems to be reflected in wins from big builders who DO thoroughly analyze performance impact of these different technologies.

I never said the data was wrong. I just said the dude who wrote was a !!!!!!....

Intel has been enjoying torturing AMD of late and now has it just about where it likes AMD to be - beaten down. Now Intel can concentrate on its own gross margins and as the margins go, so does the stock.

When you see something like this, then bias becomes clear. The truth is that AMD is in the strongest market position they have EVER been in during the entire time the company has existed, but when statements like this are made... Well you can see the bias is clear.

If you can prove me wrong, then you can claim its bias... But until then it is fact.

Actually, they do have a better position right now, than they ever have before. I posted a link a couple posts up that is a decent read, some good links to visit from off that article as well. I don't see the bias from duby229, although making a statement and providing it as fact purely from the standpoint that it can't be proven wrong, would be an utterly ignorant argument.

That price is slated for Q3 2007, which can be as late as the end of September. I'm not sure why you would think it's only 3 months away.

It could have been September, but it is July. :p

I know how hard it is for many to accept the facts, but let's face the big elephant.

AMD has already responded by showing off those defective Barcelona wafers hehe.

Back