How will this affect the PS3s BD player?

From their article sounds like a firmware update will fix any player capable of having one. Only players without the ability to have firmware updates may be affected.

Not concerned.

That is a good concern. But I am sure it will be fixed no matter what w/o a cost to the people who already have a PS3.

*Edit* Like he^ said...I didn't read the full article so I didn't know if it was firmware update or not. */Edit*

The only way you could be affected is if you're one of the people who has a PS3 with no internet connection. And even then, future games should be able to include the firmware patch.

Yeah, I can't possibly see this being an issue. They're fighting against HD-DVD, they couldn't possibly alienate what must be the majority of Blu-Ray players.
I'd guess a firmware update would do it.
If not...wow...

The PS3 is one of the few Blu Ray players that ALREADY SUPPORTS THIS FEATURE (BD-Java)!!! This will not affect any PS3 owner at all as this feature is ALREADY PART OF THE PS3!

The PS3 is one of the few Blu Ray players that ALREADY SUPPORTS THIS FEATURE!!! This will not affect any PS3 owner at all as this feature is ALREADY PART OF THE PS3! Nice try fan boys!

I didnt know this, do u know where i can read on this feature already being on the PS3 BD player?

I didnt know this, do u know where i can read on this feature already being on the PS3 BD player?

Sure,

Horror film Blu-ray disc plays only on PS3 [update 1]

If you've been looking to watch cave-diving girls chased by evil, flesh-eating Gollums in high definition, then you better have a PlayStation 3.

According to IMDB news, the Blu-ray version of The Descent is confirmed to not work on Pioneer Elite and Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray players but functions perfectly on the PS3. The reason? The disc utilizes BD-Java technology for picture-in-picture video commentary, which is not supported by the standalone Blu-ray players.

Sony has confirmed that they are working on an update to the player's operating systems, but how are they going to deliver said updates to consumers who already have the faulty player?

[Via 1UP]

[Update 1: It's Pioneer's Elite, not Panasonic. Thanks to everyone who pointed it out.]

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/09/horror-film-blu-ray-disc-plays-only-on-ps3/

The PS3 is one of the few Blu Ray players that ALREADY SUPPORTS THIS FEATURE (BD-Java)!!! This will not affect any PS3 owner at all as this feature is ALREADY PART OF THE PS3!

You are the man. Give ya props! I would give you a Reward...but you probably don't want it. :p

The PS3 is one of the few Blu Ray players that ALREADY SUPPORTS THIS FEATURE (BD-Java)!!! This will not affect any PS3 owner at all as this feature is ALREADY PART OF THE PS3! Nice try fan boys!

Funny, you're the first to mention fan boys or get riled up about the topic. I just read the article and thought it was interesting, figuring that some people here might want to know about it.

Funny, you're the first to mention fan boys or get riled up about the topic. I just read the article and thought it was interesting, figuring that some people here might want to know about it.

Well with your history of posting anything that might rile up ps3 users i dont blame him. But its not that interesting now thats it been shown this absolutely doesnt affect the PS3 userbase.

He edited that out before you even made this post...Why bring up something that he already changed before you even said anything?

His edit = 12:11
Your Post = 12:26

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a bad mood (stressed out) and I put in the fan boys comment without thinking. I didn't mean to lower the tone of the discussion in this thread so I went back and edited that out. Sorry about that, I sincerely apologize, it was my mistake, I don't want to start a big flame war here or call people names.

Cool. I figured they HAD to have a fix for something like this, but that's good enough for me.
I still refuse to buy any Blu-Ray movies (or HD's either) but I still rent 'em all the time.

this wont really affect the ps3. it will affect 1st gen bluray players though. as far as ive read, the ps3 is up to spec in regards to bdj. i feel sorry for ppl who spent 1k on a bd player to end up w/ a brick

Ya I remember seeing a Java logo on the PS3 box and/or in the manual.

Back