How's this build for the following activities?

RedCt

Weaksauce
Activities:
- WoW, Oblivion, BF2142, and Company of Heroes
- Some folding
- Adobe Photoshop/Premier
- Light overclocking (up to 2.4Ghz ish)

Build:
Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS P5N-SLI (considering switching to a 965 based board)
eVGA 7900gs
2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE Sound Card

that sounds good, except the overclock to 2.4gz. Most of those cpu's can do 2.8ghz on stock voltage and cooling. And that ram has enough in it take the cpu to atleast 3.5ghz or higher.

Also, i'd go with a a 965 board as well.

Other than that, it looks fine.

I'd get a Western Digital 250gb 16mb cache SATA2 drive instead. (or a 320 version of it) here

Most onboard sound is good enough imo, you could cut that cost, and get a better graphics card. :D (I have that card, and I LOVE it.)

956 ftw.

That's a great HD. I use them exclusively in my client builds.

If you want more OCing potential, go for the Asus P5B-e (make sure you get the one with the "e" !!)... Which can hit FSB's of around 450+ easily.

good cpu choice but, id go for a 965 board they overclock the best on that cpu, also they are cheaper which will alow you to get a better graphics card, you should be looking at a 1950 xtx or a 8800 GS if you wanna be playing those games nicely, you can have the best cpu, ram, mobo whatever in the wold but they won't have as much impact on game performace as the graphics card. P5B Deluxe
is a great performing board on that cpu.

one question - if I want to overclock, should I ditch the stock cooler? if so, what's a good cooler? I'm clueless when it comes to cooling.

EDIT: Is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro a good one? I've had good experience with the 64 - basically the AMD counterpart of this one.

The Audigy will probably not offer much in terms of superior audio quality over a good onboard solution, but the audio processor on the Audigy will reduce the CPU usage quite a bit in many games and apps. I saw anywhere from 15-25% improvement over my "Karajan" (poor Herbert) audio module. While you've much more CPU power to work with, it won't be long before games and apps like Crysis have everyone scrambling for more FPS anyway they can get it.

Back