How's this look for a new build?

momosake

Weaksauce
:) Hi there! Here's what I came up with, I would appreciate your opinion and any advice you'd like to offer. :) I would also appreciate your help picking out a video card, as I'm unsure if I want to go NVidia or AMD. Thank you. :)

Case: Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower Case

PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

MOBO: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) (open to suggestions!)

RAM: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

HDD: 2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Blu-Ray Burner: LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner

Heat Sink: Tuniq CR-T120-EX-SV 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic Bearing Tower Extreme CPU Cooler Rev1, with 1156 Brackets

Video Card: Undecided. Will probably get a 6970, so I can try to use physX with eyefinity, but really unsure. Suggestions are more than welcome. :)

All 120mm case fans will be replaced with Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm fans

Both 80mm case fans will be replaced with Nexus SP802512L-03 80mm fans

140mm case fan will be replaced with a Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan

Monitor: HP 2511x (getting this for $269, so thought it was a good deal!)

Sound Card: HT | OMEGA eClaro 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Will get this later: Crucial RealSSD C300

EDIT: I do graphics (I know, everyone says I need to get an IPS panel, but I'll get one later).

I also game a little- mainly MMO's, but also do other stuff. I edit videos as well (light editing) as do 3d artwork. Programs used: Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Poser 8, Daz 3d Advanced,

Games: World of Warcraft, EVE, Mafia 2, Mass Effect, etc..

If I got more than 1 video card, I'd up the PSU to one of these... But I don't really see the need for more than 1, as I don't really think that I need it?

-- No Microcenters around me. Will be buying parts online from Amazon, Newegg, Frys.com, MWave, etc.. Wherever has the better deal.

Last edited:
Please do not make people click on 15 links to find out what you put together. List parts in the thread.

First off, the case that you chose is not as high of a quality (build-wise) as many cases from bigger names such as Cooler Master or Lian Li: It is more likely to rattle and/or squeak with the motion of the hard drives and fans than some other cases in that same price range.

Second, the RAM that you chose is a bit pricey for the amount of RAM, at more than $13 per GB (compared to the less than $11 per GB for most of the RAM we recommend). Worse, it is expensive for only DDR3-1333 memory -- more expensive than many of the DDR3-1600 RAM on the market. Yet for that high price DDR3-1333 at CL7 still performs slower (in memory benchmarks) than DDR3-1600 memory at CL9.

Third, do you really need a Blu-ray burner? If you do a lot of high-definition videos and author such videos at their native resolution on a disk that can be played on a compatible standalone player, then by all means get one. But if all of your videos are only in 480i or 240p, then you don't need a Blu-ray burner (you can get by with a cheapo $20-ish DVD burner).

First off, the case that you chose is not as high of a quality (build-wise) as many cases from bigger names such as Cooler Master or Lian Li: It is more likely to rattle and/or squeak with the motion of the hard drives and fans than some other cases in that same price range.

Second, the RAM that you chose is a bit pricey for the amount of RAM, at more than $13 per GB (compared to the less than $11 per GB for most of the RAM we recommend). Worse, it is expensive for only DDR3-1333 memory -- more expensive than many of the DDR3-1600 RAM on the market. Yet for that high price DDR3-1333 at CL7 still performs slower (in memory benchmarks) than DDR3-1600 memory at CL9.

Third, do you really need a Blu-ray burner? If you do a lot of high-definition videos and author such videos at their native resolution on a disk that can be played on a compatible standalone player, then by all means get one. But if all of your videos are only in 480i or 240p, then you don't need a Blu-ray burner (you can get by with a cheapo $20-ish DVD burner).

1a.) I just liked the features of the case. Please suggest an alternative.

2a.) I just read another thread & switched it to this ram, as you get $25.00 off per set with a promo code.

3a.) I do want to have the ability to burn blu-ray. Thank you for asking, though. I appreciate that you were concerned. :)

Unless you're trying to break world overclocking records, you would be fine with this HSF:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

Video Card: Undecided. Will probably get a 6970, so I can try to use physX with eyefinity, but really unsure. Suggestions are more than welcome. :)
Unless you already have a Nvidia card on hand, don't bother buying a new or even used card just for PhysX as it just doesn't make that much of a difference to justify the costs.

For $10 more than that Sapphire card you can get a card with a lifetime warranty and better customer support:
$378 - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB PCI-E Video Card

What exact features will you actually be using in Ultimate that would justify the costs over Home Premium?

Do you have a decent or high-end sound system where that sound card would be actually be put to use? Your best bet would be to try the onboard audio and then see if you need a sound card.

one of these[/URL]... But I don't really see the need for more than 1, as I don't really think that I need it?
Really depends on you and your performance needs.
1a.) I just liked the features of the case. Please suggest an alternative.
I recommend any of theses over that case:
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$106 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case

2a.) I just read another thread & switched it to this ram, as you get $25.00 off per set with a promo code.
Well unfortunately that promo code expired about an hour and a half after your last post. So go with this RAM instead:
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You "do graphics," you say? Go with an Nvidia card (GTX 570 or GTX 580) and get lots of RAM (buy two sets of the RAM that Danny Bui recommended).

If you spend at least half of your time performing 3D/video editing, then I also recommend going with the Core i7 2600k instead of the Core i5 2500k so you can take advantage of the i7-2600k's Hyper Threading support.

Unless you're trying to break world overclocking records, you would be fine with this HSF:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

- LOL :) Nope, not trying to break any OC records. It was recommended by someone on a different forum, but will go with yours instead, since it's less expensive & sounds like it'd definitely keep the pc cool! lol :) Thank you!

Unless you already have a Nvidia card on hand, don't bother buying a new or even used card just for PhysX as it just doesn't make that much of a difference to justify the costs.

- I have a GTX 460, but it's not really that important to me to get it, so no worries. :)

For $10 more than that Sapphire card you can get a card with a lifetime warranty and better customer support:
$378 - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB PCI-E Video Card

- Thank you! :)

What exact features will you actually be using in Ultimate that would justify the costs over Home Premium?

- Namely the language feature. I speak other languages besides just English, but I guess it really doesn't matter too much. :)

Do you have a decent or high-end sound system where that sound card would be actually be put to use? Your best bet would be to try the onboard audio and then see if you need a sound card.

- I have a surround sound system.

I recommend any of theses over that case:
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$106 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case

- Holy cow. lol! Thank you! :)

Well unfortunately that promo code expired about an hour and a half after your last post. So go with this RAM instead:
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

- I saw that! Darn the luck, right? lol Thanks for the link. :)

You "do graphics," you say? Go with an Nvidia card (GTX 570 or GTX 580) and get lots of RAM (buy two sets of the RAM that Danny Bui recommended).

If you spend at least half of your time performing 3D/video editing, then I also recommend going with the Core i7 2600k instead of the Core i5 2500k so you can take advantage of the i7-2600k's Hyper Threading support.

Thank you! :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you intend to use that GTX 460 as a PhysX card or a secondary card, then go with the Seasonic 850W.

Back