HP-1 Face List

Defyant

Limp Gawd
This Face lift, iv'e been wanting to do for a while to HP-1,

Nothing spectacular..... but wanting to include a new on/off switch from the current HP computers and a Matrix LCD to help monitor temps and control rad fans for summer.
The on/off switches for the HP's are a real drag!! they have a bad habbit of pressing in and never comming back out.
It's just a design floor, and if theyr left alone they will work perfect forever,but once pulled apart and re-assembled a few times...... they never work the same again.

What iv'e decided to do, Is "graft" a new "backlit" atx button from one of the new HP-Clone cases!
This will fix the "dodjy" switch prob and hopefully add some class to to the front of the case.

Again! the idea is to make the mod....look as tho there never was a mod.

It's not a pretty sight! this is how i brought this case but i was just happy to get my hands on what looks like the last HP-Pav case of this type downunder!!!

DSC01595.jpg

The first part of the face lift is the removal of the floppy section, there no need for this to be. So it is cut away and will be replaced later with a new tinted panel.

DSC01596.jpg

Next is to remove some of the old paint!! the only way this can be done on plastic is some good old sanding.
no need to remove it all! just in the main workarea.

DSC01621.jpg

The new ATX power button!

The victem is a yumcha HP clone case, originally i had try'd to source an genuine HP case to use the button, but unfortunatly it was proving to difficult to find a donor

I know this looks like a crime on nature! to wreck a hole new tower for one button! but its a small price to pay if it makes me happy :)
There is also a "mesh" update planned for the yumcha to replace the missing switch.

DSC01599.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

Tis beutifull isn't it

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

You can see the difference between the old and the new here!

DSC01613.jpg

Time to cut a new hole!

Originally the idea was, to just simply cut a a new square hole!.......this idea was qikly scrapped in favour of a full section graft,

DSC01624.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

TO hold the new graft in place some tape is used on the front,

DSC01631.jpg

flip the whole thing over and ruff the back area up to help bondo adhear.

DSC01630.jpg

A qik slip slop slap! and a few mins to dray and the back is solid.

DSC01645.jpg

Remove the tape off the front and the bondo has briged the gap!

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01636.jpg

Another slip slop slap of bondo

DSC01644.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

allow'd to go hard and a qik sand again to level.

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01648.jpg

Now that the front has some strenght next tis to flip over the panel and do some tidy-up work on the back.

DSC01651.jpg

Next is to apply some spot putty, this will act as full filler and will be wet rubbed tomorrow.

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

As you can see here, i think the new button will work in well with the look of the front.

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

The putty will be left to sit overnight, i'll wet rub and post updates tomorrow.

with the putty now dry, i could get on with making the the new smoked front facia panel.

This is just like a "bigger" version of the CDROM mod i did on HP2 and again it was bending plex to the shape using hot air , marking then cutting.
DSC01668.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

The shape is just cut out using the band saw, a steady hand and dremel would have worked the same.

Once cut ! the edge is sanded to a 45 degree angle to provide a nice snug fit.

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

a test fit.

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

To help secure the new panel and to make it a "removable" and a functioning panel a back support is added.

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

Then glued in

DSC01716.jpg

and tested

DSC01727.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

To keep with the "functional" theme of the face lift , i also decided to add some usb ports.

again cutting a hole in the lower section and grafting in the ports.

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

To help "light up" the area around the ports im adding a back lit peice of frosted plex.Again just cut, bent using hot air and sand frosted.

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

With the major mods done, time for some sanding.

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

The over for some spray putty to fill in all the nasty scratches!
DSC01875.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

A wet rub tomorrow then its off with the HP3 panels to get sprayed :)

just on a qik note!!

wasn't sure what colour to run on the new atx switch! so i thought maybe gowith one of those sexy new multi colour leds~!

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01896.jpg

DSC01897.jpg

DSC01898.jpg

chhers guys.

The orig idea as seen above was to have a LED that just cycles thru the diff colours, but thats not goin to suit the end look of the mod,

Next was to put the front panels under "Black shadow" the shadow ( a dusty coat of black) works as a guide for you to wet rub,

As you rub the "lows" become appearent as these are still shown with the black in them.

DSC01955.jpg

Next was to test the moulded New front panel,

As seen below, you can see the extra space the new panel covers frm the old one.

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

It's not perfect, but close enuf.

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

Next was to mould and make what will be HP-1'a stealth'd cdrom door.

Again just using a hot air gun until the plex is all "rubbery" then lay over the front and allowd to bend itself into shape.

DSC02091.jpg

The new panel is allow to cool, then taped to the front flipped over and its a task of simply using a pen to mark the shape.

DSC02092.jpg

The new door is cut on the band saw and check for fit.

DSC02095.jpg

This will give an ultra modern stealth look to the front of the case.

DSC02099.jpg

Couldn't help have a sneek peeek @ how the new atx button will look lit up :p

DSC02103.jpg

The panels wereleft to sit for 2days this helps to allow the spray putty to settle and sink back, altho, the longer you leave this the better and i'd suggest a week before you start the next part.

this is of course wetrubbing, 800 grit wet and dry is the chosen paper,

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02119.jpg

The panels are wiped clean, prepsoled and taken out to the spray shed for a few qik coats of "acrylic" silver and clear.

I chose acrylic over my prefered choice of 2Pk simply because of time restraints atm, altho thsi method dos not yeild the same look as the 2pk paint, left for a week and a good hand buff and thes parts shouldnt look tooo bad.

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02131.jpg

DSC02128.jpg

a comparison to show the different look between old and new,

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

For now ive decided not to install the black panel as well, but rather use the new silver insert with the old black panel, as for the larger black panel i prefer to paint proper 2 a lter date when i can use the proper paint booth and 2pk paint.

Next was to fix in the new ATX switch,

Originally the button, was fixed into its panel using 2 tiny plastic points. I'll replace these with some good old Araldite epoxy glue.

DSC02156.jpg

To Reach HP-1's ATX button inside, a small standoff plate had to be made, this will fill the void needed to reach.

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

I wanted to make the new front panel one that could "snap" in and out, rather then hot glue it semiperm.

a bottem Hook was glued on to lock on to the bottem runner,

DSC02163.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

side hooks were bent and glued on.

DSC02167.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02171.jpg

Next was to attach the new steath cdrom door,

I went for the simple option here, also wanting to try a new product, some clear double sided plex tape!

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

First thing here was to make a custom mount that will attach to the front door of the cdrom then to the new stealth front panel.

DSC02172.jpg

While i had HP-1 out on the bench, i decided to give the water system a good flush and refil with some of the new Zalman blue coolant.

DSC02161.jpg

All that was left to do was fit the new front end on, attach the new stealth door, and set HP-1 for some "final" shots!

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

Inside and back to day to day duties :)

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

I'm s till to sort out some diff internal lighting and add the new panel with the USB ports,

but for now i have have to say that i'm pretty happy with the new look of HP-1

I'd have to say that you always make the best case mods. And considering how many you actually do with such quality just blows my mind.

By the way, where did you pick up that double sided plexi tape? Seems like something I could use.

Wow.

I want your brains. The projects you create are pretty friggin good dude. What I wouldn't do for the knowledge and skill you posess!

Is it sad that I can actually tell who is doing the mod on a case simply because of their technique with bondo? I didn't even bother checking who the OP was and just seeing the first few pictures instantly guessed it was Defyant.

Back