HP 23" LED Monitor XP598AA#ABA: $75 AC shipped @ staples.com (starts 11/13)

TN panels have very limited vertical viewing angles (so much so that at an extreme angle you'll get a negative of the image on some panels). If you were to put it in portrait then that limited viewing angle would be a limited horizontal viewing angle, which would be considered pretty awful by some people's standards.

I agree my brother has 3 x 23" dell TN panels and it is very obvious that they are TN.

Also the monitor mount that I have been talking about would be custom make from a metal and is not purchasable from the internet unless I guess you build it in a 3d model and have it made by a metal shop. Sorry for the confusion I like thinking outside the box when it comes to getting cheap hardware and then modifying it to fit my needs.

TechIsCool

I need as a starting point the name/nomenclature of a VESA type plate that I can modify or have modified to fit (using glue, epoxy, screw, other) onto the back of the HP 23" monitor that will mate up with one of those articulated dual-arm VESA monitor supports.

I just need the name of a part that *could* be made to work with modification.

Could anyone on this thread post the name of such a part either here or in a PM to me please?

its a TN panel and you must have a sad selection of monitors if that's the best looking one there.

Yeah I was confused, looked at it today and got it mixed up with the 25" HP one we got. And yeah, we have a horrible selection of monitors, apart from the 25" and 27" HP monitors we have for $300 and $400, which are actually fantastic monitors. Other than that, all shitty TN panels. I hate TN panels.

Just ordered mine.

$75.00 + $2.50 (had to buy a coupon)

Pretty damn good deal if for a second monitor me thinks.

Except the thread on slickdeals is already over 100 pages long.... i highly doubt the sales will go thru :(.... im in for 1, hoping it goes thru :D

!@#! I left my coupon at my work so I'm buying one off ebay, I hope they can get me the code before it goes OOS or something.

Damn it! I stayed up until midnight CST and they were still not on sale. Couldn't stay awake any longer... all the running around, 3 rambunctious kids, and my birthday totally drained me. Might go over to my local Staples this morning and see if they have any in stock.

Damn it! I stayed up until midnight CST and they were still not on sale. Couldn't stay awake any longer... all the running around, 3 rambunctious kids, and my birthday totally drained me. Might go over to my local Staples this morning and see if they have any in stock.

I did the same thing, but luckily I woke up @ 3am cst to get sick and checked the page and saw the price was live. Never been so pumped to throw up before.

Got one. Had only 4 in stock. Was first in line at 5 minutes till opening time.

I can still get them in my area, anyone wanna send me their coupon if they cant use it anymore?

Called the parents in another zip code. They had the display model in stock. Got me one :)

I snagged one at the store as well. My local store claimed to have 5 in stock but they could only find 3. There were 3 of us there at store opening so they gave each of us one only (two of us wanted to buy two monitors). It will be a present for my son but I'll open it up in the next couple days and try it out.

Hey these are nice i snagged a few more in store im reviewing one now the viewing angles arent that bad can go wrong for the price

Just got it unboxed and hooked up. Replaces a 6 year old Viewsonic 19" 1440x900 LCD on my wife's system. Right out of the box with no adjustments to brightness, contrast, etc, picture quality is very good comparatively. I'm very happy with this $99 LED LCD!

... noooooooooo oos, stupid humans, needed coupon code the second I clicked buy for it.

lol i was going to wait for the coupon except i read so many ppl getting issues with their coupons, i rather just pay the $100 for a good monitor and not risk not getting it.... im still planning on calling staples and seeing if i can get it applied post-purchase. hopefully

Picked up two this am. Great deal on a cheap screen. I am really tempted to use these two as side screens and pick up a 25-27 for a center for my eyefinity setup. For now one stays in the box and the other is on the kids PC.

I goofed up see next post (I don't know if "cancel" cancels the post, or "cancels" the "edit")

Last edited:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=3613&seq=1&format=2

This with the wall side epoxied to the lcd back, and the vesa side bolted to your arms would work well.

I plan on taking the two I bought to work and doing this.

erebus720 thanks for pointing this out! I put a little note on my "misc notes to self" notepad that says "don't forget - you need TWO of these" ;)

Are you going to take off the rear of the case and drill/screw/bolt this mount onto the back, or are you just going to scuff up the case and this plate and epoxy it on?

Also: could/would you (or anyone) kindly recommend an inexpensive (say $60.00 or less) DUAL-MONITOR stand to which I can mount two of these HP monitors (in landscape)? I've looked at lots of pictures of dual monitor stands but I can't tell enough from just pictures to know which ones balance and adjust well. I was hoping someone with actual experience with dual monitor stands can answer this question. (dual 23"'ers is going to be w-i-d-e) :cool:

Thanks

aww my bad - I see you already mentioned going the epoxy route several posts back.

Last edited:
I hardly ever see anybody say something really negative about their purchases. I have looked right at garbage monitors and the person will talk about how good it looks. hell i have seen people even have the wrong resolution and still claim their monitor looked good to them.

I hardly ever see anybody say something really negative about their purchases. I have looked right at garbage monitors and the person will talk about how good it looks. hell i have seen people even have the wrong resolution and still claim their monitor looked good to them.

Cannondale06; you raise an excellent psychological point. Actually studied this phenomenon while in koolidge. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I hope this monitor is better than its price would lead one to expect. At least that's what I hope. I won't have eyes-on until later in the week. And I'm the last person anyone would want an opinion about a flat-screen from. I'm still in the CRT dark-ages. (19" Sony G420)

I should go join the "what's the oldest monitor you still use?" thread ;)

I dont think anyone is making the claim that this is the greatest monitor to ever come around. In fact if you can show me a better alternative for 75$ I and several others would jump on it.

I dont think anyone is making the claim that this is the greatest monitor to ever come around. In fact if you can show me a better alternative for 75$ I and several others would jump on it.
I did not say that. I am saying that some people have no idea what they are even talking about and are not the people I would trust for a review. my father bragged about how good his new 1080p TV looked but when I visited him, he was still using 480 content and it looked like blurry crap. I had friend that bragged about her new widescreen monitor and she was actually running 1024x768 stretched. so again personal reviews can be useless because the average person is ignorant and wants to justify their purchase.

yes I understand that many people will lower their standards based on costs but again just getting an accurate and honest review is hard. I would go try one for myself but they are not even carried at all at the 2 closest stores and no way am I driving 40 miles round trip.

I did not say that. I am saying that some people have no idea what they are even talking about and are not the people I would trust for a review. my father bragged about how good his new 1080p TV looked but when I visited him, he was still using 480 content and it looked like blurry crap. I had friend that bragged about her new widescreen monitor and she was actually running 1024x768 stretched. so again personal reviews can be useless because the average person is ignorant and wants to justify their purchase.

yes I understand that many people will lower their standards based on costs but again just getting an accurate and honest review is hard. I would go try one for myself but they are not even carried at all at the 2 closest stores and no way am I driving 40 miles round trip.

Yup, signal to noise on reviews is way worse nowadays, forum or so-called pro ones. Most are just flat out clueless.

Bought three to try taking the bezels off for a cheap eyefinity setup. Desktop/web browsing look pretty bad compared to my old 2005fpws, but movies and games look fine. I'm sure I can tweak it to look better. I'm sure I'm just really used to using these 2005s though.

Hey guys,
So after doing some test making sure i have no dead pixels, no doubt this monitor is a steal for only 82 dollars total. The horizontal viewing angles arent bad at all it is still a TN panel but it will not bother anyone. They shall work perfect in a triple monitor setup with absolutle no color difference only if 2 side monitors are facing in towards you. These things wont do so great in portrait. The top viewing angles are preety much far beyond noticable. You can get away with the 5 monitor set up if there facing in and you are directly where you angled them to face. Even then the top bezel is shorter than bottom which would creat an uneven spacing between the screens. Maybe if you removed bezel and work something from there. Its still an incredible steal. Im not sure if im going to go with 3 of these or 3 of HP IPS 2560x1600 since i already have one.

Only reason i mention triple 30 inchers is cause then i would also need to upgrade my two gtx 580s XP

NotVery[H];1038016317 said:
Bought three to try taking the bezels off for a cheap eyefinity setup. Desktop/web browsing look pretty bad compared to my old 2005fpws, but movies and games look fine. I'm sure I can tweak it to look better. I'm sure I'm just really used to using these 2005s though.

Hows the bezel cracking!?

Back