HP 2709m - 27 inch or Samsung XL2370 - please help me out

umgill45

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I need to upgrade from my Samsung 2253LW monitor.
Its a 21.6 inch and fair bit small on my table.

Main uses for my monitor are

1) Gaming (RTS (Compnay of heroes etc.and the occasional FPS such as left for dead, bioshock etc.)

2) Watching movies, tv shows that I download.

3) Browsing the internet and reading graphs (FXCM etc.)

4) I will not be connecting any consoles (PS3, Xbox 360 etc) to this display.

I have basically chosen 3 monitors the Samsung XL 2370, Samsung 2243BW or the HP 2709m

I am currently leaning towards the HP since it has the screen real estate and the glossy "pop" effect that I have come to love (I can tolerate glare to a high degree)

I'd like people to pitch in with any good advice that they may have.
Also I've heard that 1920x1200 is better than the 1920 x 1080 resolution that the HP has.
Is that true?
Is the 1920 x 1080 p resolution only good for movies whereas for gaming the 1200 resolution is better?

Last edited:
1080 vs 1200 is kinda the coke vs pepsi of this forum. The only way to get more entertainment is to hang out in the video card board. :p

Having said that I would look at the Asus VW266H on the 16:10 side, and the Samsung 2343bwx on the 16:9 side.

K anymore suggestions or comments. I know people here know a lot about Displays.

Just hope more ppl can pitch in.

I'd like to know everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance

Well the HP 27 incher is a TN display. So although the gloss will help with colors and such, I'd think the viewing angles would be pretty bad.

Then again I have a friend who owns the Hanns G 27.5 inch monitor who just loves it. So people's tolerances for TN viewing angles might be just fine.

The HP 27 incher looks to be wall mountable, which is nice because the stand doesn't look very adjustable at all.

If you're just using it mainly for movies and gaming and such, it should be fine. It probably would not be good for photoshop or image quality work though.

Heres a review on cnet. They recommend the 25.5 inch model more.
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-2709m/4505-3174_7-33743815.html

Last edited:
Back