HP.com 25% Bing Cash Back! Great Deal on Envy 15...

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Goto bing.com

search laptop.

Find hp.com BCB link.

click.

This is especially a great deal for the Envy 15 (great gaming laptop, at half the size, weight and price and twice the looks of the Alienware M15x) if you choose a particular config with some seriously discount Intel SSD G2 drives. The 15 also simply has one of the best screens available in a laptop, period (I like mine better then the UXGA IPS Flexview on my old Lenovo Thinkpad T60p; way better contrast, gloosy surface is much much better for clarity and sharpness and color "pop", LED for less power consumption, brighter AND darker, faster response; not quite as good view angle, but honestly given this one has better view angle then the typical TN, and the Thinkpad's IPS was "below average" for an IPS, I have no complaints.)

Generally everything is top notch in the system, the quad core model has 4x DIMM slots for 16GB (or 32GB) ram support, USB 3.0, entire laptop (frame, shell) is aluminum/magnesium, super thin considering the specs. Even comes with "the best" Wifi card - Intel 6200 which I get an actual 150 megabit of throughput with in my apartment with an insane amount of networks and interference. Balanced "high end" gaming video yet super lower power consumption; quad core i7 support; dual 1.8" hdd support (SSD RAID!).

Oh, and my 5830 overclocks from 500/800 stock to 750/1115. :eek: Thanks to the dual SSD's mine boots Win7 fresh install (don't bother with the factory bloatware) goes from pressing power button to usable in like 15 seconds. Standby/resume is just insane - faster then most MONITORS and my LCD HDTV for sure.

The "best" configuration to get the "best" deal:
Select custom config (starting 1299.99)
  • Upgrade Screen to 1080p BrightView (also matte available, but contrast/view angle/sharpness will be a bit behind the glossy)
  • Select 320GB Dual SSD hard disk option (Dual Intel G2 X-18M SSD's!!) in RAID 0! (I get an actual 7.9 for the Win 7 Experience Index...)
  • Everything else standard
Yes, save everything else, as you can pop in one of the refreshed Arrandale CPU's to be released this summer and the end of this year, and/or grab some 4GB DDR3 ram sticks as the prices fall (I am seeing like $120 a stick now or less.)

1949-25% BCB = 1461.75.

Consider that those SSD's are easily good for typical market value of $410 EACH (remember the 1.8" disks are less common and thus a bit more pricey then the 2.5" variants) and you are basically getting one of the best all around lappys for $1461.75 - $820 = $642.49 (without a hard disk).

nice. anyone find any other good deals at HP? and OP, so is that either 2x1.8" drives OR a 2.5"drive? i wouldnt mind buying this and replacing the 2x1.8's with my 2.5" 80gb g2.

I'm still able to get the 25% link guys... deal is alive, I think...

good deal... damned good deal really...

EDIT: On the ENVY 15, why are there different HD 5830 options depending upon whether you have a core i5 or i7 quad? Does this mean that if I select the standard core i5 graphics option, then I'll have a compatibility issue if I choose to upgrade to an i7 Quad later?

Last edited:
How do you check HP bing cashback? I click the link on bing and I dont see any indication that there is bing cashback on the HP website.

Goto bing.com

search laptop.

Find hp.com BCB link.

click.

This is especially a great deal for the Envy 15 (great gaming laptop, at half the size, weight and price and twice the looks of the Alienware M15x) if you choose a particular config with some seriously discount Intel SSD G2 drives. The 15 also simply has one of the best screens available in a laptop, period (I like mine better then the UXGA IPS Flexview on my old Lenovo Thinkpad T60p; way better contrast, gloosy surface is much much better for clarity and sharpness and color "pop", LED for less power consumption, brighter AND darker, faster response; not quite as good view angle, but honestly given this one has better view angle then the typical TN, and the Thinkpad's IPS was "below average" for an IPS, I have no complaints.)

Generally everything is top notch in the system, the quad core model has 4x DIMM slots for 16GB (or 32GB) ram support, USB 3.0, entire laptop (frame, shell) is aluminum/magnesium, super thin considering the specs. Even comes with "the best" Wifi card - Intel 6200 which I get an actual 150 megabit of throughput with in my apartment with an insane amount of networks and interference. Balanced "high end" gaming video yet super lower power consumption; quad core i7 support; dual 1.8" hdd support (SSD RAID!).

Oh, and my 5830 overclocks from 500/800 stock to 750/1115. :eek: Thanks to the dual SSD's mine boots Win7 fresh install (don't bother with the factory bloatware) goes from pressing power button to usable in like 15 seconds. Standby/resume is just insane - faster then most MONITORS and my LCD HDTV for sure.

The "best" configuration to get the "best" deal:
Select custom config (starting 1299.99)
  • Upgrade Screen to 1080p BrightView (also matte available, but contrast/view angle/sharpness will be a bit behind the glossy)
  • Select 320GB Dual SSD hard disk option (Dual Intel G2 X-18M SSD's!!) in RAID 0! (I get an actual 7.9 for the Win 7 Experience Index...)
  • Everything else standard
Yes, save everything else, as you can pop in one of the refreshed Arrandale CPU's to be released this summer and the end of this year, and/or grab some 4GB DDR3 ram sticks as the prices fall (I am seeing like $120 a stick now or less.)

1949-25% BCB = 1461.75.

Consider that those SSD's are easily good for typical market value of $410 EACH (remember the 1.8" disks are less common and thus a bit more pricey then the 2.5" variants) and you are basically getting one of the best all around lappys for $1461.75 - $820 = $642.49 (without a hard disk).

Since there is a 5830 for i7 and 5830 for i5 wont this be an issue with Arrrondale later on?

Goto bing.com

search laptop.

Find hp.com BCB link.

click.

I logged into my Bing account and then searched "HP LAPTOP" instead of just laptop. The topmost link was for 25% off.

I'm still wondering about the 2 different HD 5830 video cards on the Envy 15 model... :confused: - I'd want to be able to upgrade to an i7 Quad later and not worry about a 5830 that's apparently only compatible with dual-cores... wth is that about? Am I stuck with the basic CPU-type I originally selected for the life of the laptop?

Edit: I suppose I better figure it out soon... I bet this deal will expire

I logged into my Bing account and then searched "HP LAPTOP" instead of just laptop. The topmost link was for 25% off.

I'm still wondering about the 2 different HD 5830 video cards on the Envy 15 model... :confused: - I'd want to be able to upgrade to an i7 Quad later and not worry about a 5830 that's apparently only compatible with dual-cores... wth is that about? Am I stuck with the basic CPU-type I originally selected for the life of the laptop?

Edit: I suppose I better figure it out soon... I bet this deal will expire

Don't sweat it. They are the same. The "i7 envy" and "i5 envy" just have different motherboards. The i7 has four ram slots, and USB 3.0. The i5 does not. Video is same either way, and the i5 model will even support i7 quad cores as an upgrade just fine if you wanna grab a chip on ebay.

nice. anyone find any other good deals at HP? and OP, so is that either 2x1.8" drives OR a 2.5"drive? i wouldnt mind buying this and replacing the 2x1.8's with my 2.5" 80gb g2.

Buy a config with a single 2.5" hdd then. Yes, it's either one 2.5" OR two 1.8".

Since there is a 5830 for i7 and 5830 for i5 wont this be an issue with Arrrondale later on?

No, they are same for that. They only differentiate b/c you get USB 3.0 and 4x sodimm ram slots with the i7. The i5 "5830" handles the quad core i7's just fine.

EDIT: for all: gaming performance; benches I get 10800 3dmark06 default (1280x1024) and P7060 in 3DMARK Vantage. Plays Left 4 Dead 2 at all 100% max details at ~60fps (except AA. you want AA with a 1920x1080 15" screen?)

Also played just cause 2 and modern warfare 2 so far, they all run really good at max details. Some games you might want to step down to 1600x900 if you prefer 60fps and max details. That's the good thing with the super high res "small screen" downscaling looks not bad at all. Super sharp at native, of course.

This is all with my big 750/1115 overclock, so YMMV.

Buy a config with a single 2.5" hdd then. Yes, it's either one 2.5" OR two 1.8".

yes but then the price is more like $1000 instead of $650. :D i was wondering if its for sure 1 drive bay since some laptops do have 2 2.5" bays for RAID purposes. hmmmm. how likely do you think it would be that one could actually get $400 for each of those drives? im really tempted...

Wait, so the there is no difference between the i5 5830 and the i7 5830 and you can just pop in a i7 cpu in the i5 laptop version later on with no issues with the i5 5830?

But you only get the USB 3.0 and 4 dimm slots if you order an i7 config? Hmm, to have USB 3.0 is a big deal actually. It's better then eSata transfer speeds. Although 4 dimm slots is nice, there really should be no reason for most people to go above 4gb of ram.

Wait, so the there is no difference between the i5 5830 and the i7 5830 and you can just pop in a i7 cpu in the i5 laptop version later on with no issues with the i5 5830?

But you only get the USB 3.0 and 4 dimm slots if you order an i7 config? Hmm, to have USB 3.0 is a big deal actually. It's better then eSata transfer speeds. Although 4 dimm slots is nice, there really should be no reason for most people to go above 4gb of ram.

yeah would be nice, but is it worth the $400 upgrade? i think i'll go with the i5. :)

also, im seeing the intel x18-m 160gb ssd for 375 buy it now on ebay, so maybe getting $350 each is more likely.

Well, 400 nets you a i7 quad core and a USB 3.0. You could also always sell the i7 cpu when you upgrade to a better i7 too.

Well, 400 nets you a i7 quad core and a USB 3.0. You could also always sell the i7 cpu when you upgrade to a better i7 too.

unfortunately that cpu only retails for about $100 more than the i5, so youre still paying $300 for usb3 and the extra dimm slots. :/

This is pretty good in theory but ebay says those drives are moving very slowly and at <<$400

unfortunately that cpu only retails for about $100 more than the i5, so youre still paying $300 for usb3 and the extra dimm slots. :/

gotta be more then that.... i5-430M ---> i7-720QM

This is pretty good in theory but ebay says those drives are moving very slowly and at <<$400

Really? I did not see a single one for sale on my search just now. Either way, you're getting these for like $206 for each 160gb intel G2 after BCB with the $550 upgrade cost.

I got a Logitech G110 for $60 after BCB. I was hunting around for video cards but realized they don't sell any, and came across that.

ugh...i've just seen too many laptop GPUs fail, including one of my personal gaming laptops that was kept at stock speeds and always played on a Vantec laptop cooler.

I have seen too many laptop fail with nVIdia GPU, but not ATI GPU....

Mobility HD 5830
800 SPs
128-bit GDDR3 @ 800MHz (1600MHz effective)

OMG, it's a GTX 260M-style sheep in wolf's clothing. That's a RV840 derived chip, AKA HD 5770. Where's the outrage this time? Oh yeah.

Mobility HD 5830
800 SPs
128-bit GDDR3 @ 800MHz (1600MHz effective)

OMG, it's a GTX 260M-style sheep in wolf's clothing. That's a RV840 derived chip, AKA HD 5770. Where's the outrage this time? Oh yeah.
Because it still looks good compared to the 360M rebranding.

Ah, the old "when that guy does it, it's worse" trick. At least everyone is consistent in the outrage. :p

I mean it's not like the HD 5830m (HD 5770m @ 500/800) is around the same speed as the 9800m GTS. That would be an outrage. Oh wait. :p

gotta be more then that.... i5-430M ---> i7-720QM

Really? I did not see a single one for sale on my search just now. Either way, you're getting these for like $206 for each 160gb intel G2 after BCB with the $550 upgrade cost.

Exactly my point.. but if you search for previous transactions that sold you'll see < $400, and few units.

Back