hp dv4t or lenovo t400?

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
what would you guys say is a better laptop?

i can get both with the same specs for around the same price but i dont know which one to get.

the hp, looks better than the t400, and i had a good 2 weeks to play with it and i liked it but returned to get better specs.

the thinkpad, well its a thinkpad, higher quality most likely (but ive seen videos of the t400 bending around the touch pad area and keyboard, which didnt happen on the dv4)

the specs id be getting are:

p8600 cpu
3gb ram on dv4, or 2gb dd3 on t400 ( but i can upgrade for like 60 bux)
g 105m (oc'd 9300?) on dv4, or 3470m on t400 (which would be better?)
320gb hd on dv4, and 160 on t400 (which id upgrade)
the rest is pretty much the same, intel wifi agn 5100 etc...

would the t400 be worth it for a little more in the long run for upgrades?

i can get both these systems for 700, but the t400 would take 4 weeks+ to ship :mad:

so whats better:D...

Last edited:
For support alone I'd say go with the Thinkpad. I've sold a lot of them to my clients and have one myself. The palm rest does flex if you pull the drive out multiple times but it's a fairly easy fix. You just put some double-sided tape down on top of the HD bay and it keeps that problem away. The T400 has great battery life, great features, and best of all excellent build quality! It's also nice that the screen has no flex even if you push from the back. You don't get that nasty pattern you would on some of the thinner laptops. Also, because the back of the screen is made out of a composite material, the wifi signal is drastically improved. I haven't been happy with HP tech support for a very long time. Lenovo on the other hand is better than most. Now for sales teams... well don't get me started. Those guys suck!

For support alone I'd say go with the Thinkpad. I've sold a lot of them to my clients and have one myself. The palm rest does flex if you pull the drive out multiple times but it's a fairly easy fix. You just put some double-sided tape down on top of the HD bay and it keeps that problem away. The T400 has great battery life, great features, and best of all excellent build quality! It's also nice that the screen has no flex even if you push from the back. You don't get that nasty pattern you would on some of the thinner laptops. Also, because the back of the screen is made out of a composite material, the wifi signal is drastically improved. I haven't been happy with HP tech support for a very long time. Lenovo on the other hand is better than most. Now for sales teams... well don't get me started. Those guys suck!
i dont think ive ever called support for any of my computers, but good to know its there and its good:p

one of the big plusses of the t400 was the batery life and well thats probably why ill buy it over the dv4t.

only thing killing me is that 4 weeks + wait time, thats just ridiculous, and hopefully its shorter.

thanks for the help

pulled the trigger on the t400,

specs:

Code:
ThinkPad T400	

$722.35 (or $797 shipped/taxed)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W1
	Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic12
	14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight, Camera
	ATI Mobility Radeon 3470 with 256MB
	2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)8
	UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
	160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
	DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)5
	No Bluetooth
	Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology10
	Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
	6 cell Li-Ion Battery60
	2764: 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller7

figured id upgrade the ram on the cheapness, as well as adding a 7200rpm wd drive. i didnt get bluetooth since ive never really used it, hopefully i wont regret it :|

build quality on the thinkpad is much better. Metal hinges, a screen that folds back much more, roll cages, not so much cheap plastic (expensive plastic!), locking lid, keyboard drain holes, etc.. it shouldn't even be a question.

Only thing I would have changed is Intel 5300 (3 antennas instead of 2) and a bigger battery. Other than that, it looks good! :)

Only thing I would have changed is Intel 5300 (3 antennas instead of 2) and a bigger battery. Other than that, it looks good! :)
forgot what forum it was but people were saying the 5300 was a gimmick and that the extra antenna made little to no difference when they tested it, idk if it's true but it probably won't matter for me since I'm still on g, hopefully ill go to n sooner or later.

I wanted the 9 cell but it was pretty expensive for just 3 more cells and there were reports of lenovo running short on them causing delays in shipping so I decided just to skip for now, 6 hours of battery life should be good for me :p

Watch eBay for a 9 cell battery if you want one. I scored one a while ago for $70 NIB. Search by the part number since they're listed as T60 series battery a lot of the time, but it's the same part number.

It will say in the auction if it's genuine and you should be able to tell from the picture.

Good choice btw, I love my T400.

Good decision... I have about 300 T400's deployed and we love them. Very very rugged machines.

you wont be disapointed.

Back