HP DVD±RW Dual Layer Writer - $59

pstang

[H]ard|Gawd
I was at my local Wal-Mart today and in the eletronics section where they put items that don't sell very well they had several HP DL DVD burners for $59, not a bad deal IMO. I think its B&M only, I couldn't find it on their web page.

I went to the HP web page and the omly DL model they sell is the 530i

pstang said:
I went to the HP web page and the omly DL model they sell is the 530i
That's correct, it's model 530i. I work there and have been eying it up, but I'm not so sure this is a hot deal though. You can get a 16x D/L Lite-on for about the same price from Newegg. Unless HP is really great or something, not sure. Thanks for sharing. :)

Obligitory VideoHelp Link: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=530i
2MB Cache, EIDE Interface
Write Support
40xCDR CAV
24xCDRW ZCLV
8xDVD-R ZCLV
4xDVD-RW CLV
8xDVD+R ZCLV
4xDVD+RW CLV
2.4xDVD+RDL CLV
Read Support
40xCD
12xDVD

There are only 5 media reviews, 1 of them poor.
There are 8 reviews currently posted, this one is quite enlightening:
This drive is an OEM Liteon SOHW-832S

The good:
This drive is a faster and more reliable DVD ripper than other HP NEC based drives. You could use LtnRPC utility to reset or disable the Region Counter (get it in here: http://dhc014.rpc1.org/LtnRPC/). It also supports DVD+R bit setting.

The bad:
After some trial and error we found that this drive is very picky when burning DVD-R media. I tested the same DVD-R media in my NEC-2500 and it worked properly.

The ugly:
According some reviews that I have read, the DVD-R problems also happens with the real Liteon SOHW-832S. No fix is available yet. If you want an HP drive and the capacity to burn cheap DVD-R media get a HP 420n or 520n drive.

bah...

get the NEC model from Newegg instead.

I just ordered one and it was under $60 delivered.

ShepsCrook said:
Wonder if you could bios flash the 530i into a lightscribe drive.

No.
My understanding is that the lightscribe drives have the ability to change the wavelength of the laser to yet another setting.. - I don't think a firmware flash is going to do that.

Back