HP Envy 15 for $949

iceredwing

2[H]4U
Just add $100 to the base configuration and use the following coupon code: NBMY33241

Thanks for Dodger1 for providing the coupon code.

Hard to beat an i5 | 1920x1080 | 5830 1GB configuration for under 1k

EDIT: riddled with poor grammar

Last edited:
Spend the extra 125 for 6 cell+9 cell battery. The 9 Cell can sit underneath the 6 cell for it is the exact width and height of the laptop and latches underneath

Also spend an extra 75 or 100 for the 1080p screen, HP offers two 1080p options.

Yea, you have to configure it yourself.
Sick deal, I am so tempted.

I jumped on the same deal in january when it first came out. I like it a lot, except it does run a little hot (natural with a quad core CPU) and I don't like carrying the 9 cell around unless I know I'm going to be using it for extended periods away from a wall outlet. You can't really run 3D games fast unless its plugged in (not that any of this is unique to the Envy, most i7 laptops with a 5830 class GPU have the same issue.)

I recommend reading the notebookforums owners threads for the i5 and i7 versions.

i have the envy 13, but for 950... damn i want to get an envy 15 too! must resist...

I configured one for $1120. I've been waiting for i5 processors to be in the MacBook Pro before buying a new laptop, but it'll probably cost nearly $2000 to match the Envy. I'd also get a 1920x1080 screen in the Envy vs. 1440x900 in an MBP.

Hmmmmmmmm...

huh...

I paid 720 for Acer 5740G-6979 (15.6") that comes with i5 and M5650 which is like half of M5870, and should be some what close to 5830 but not that close....

now this one does look pretty darn good beside its 17", which is not suitable for me for needing to port around......

I configured one for $1120. I've been waiting for i5 processors to be in the MacBook Pro before buying a new laptop, but it'll probably cost nearly $2000 to match the Envy. I'd also get a 1920x1080 screen in the Envy vs. 1440x900 in an MBP.

Hmmmmmmmm...

I've been waiting for those MBP's too. After seeing this though...I may just have get an HP envy. Although battery life is really important for me and I'm not sure that this one will live up to the MacBook standard. Are the 6 hour specs listed for the envy with the 9-cell or 6-cell battery? HP doesn't tell.

yup 15.6" for the LCD size, hence the moniker Envy 15 (for 15") and Envy 13 (for 13")

Granted it's $250 more. I jjust got the new Asus 17.3" with the i7, 6GB ram, 5870, and 500 GB 7200 RPM for $1199 at BB.

linky

The screen resolution is 1600x900 but the laptop runs everything very well.

I have the A1 version and it's a great laptop. The Best Buy one is a phenominal deal if you can find it in stock. Only reason for not getting the ASUS though is the weight. It is a huge laptop. Not heavy, just big.

I came oh-so-close to clicking the Buy button for this deal but decided to wait on the MacBook Pro refresh. I've waited this long. Might as well just see it through to the end.

would have bought this if the i7 upgrade did not cost so damn much. ill stick to my studio 1645.

huh, after reading some article..

glad I didn't cancel my AS5740G-6979 order and order this one...

lots of people are complaining about the heat problem..... and short battery time... :S

lots of people are complaining about the heat problem..... and short battery time... :S

Both the battery and heat issues have been fixed - the refreshed Envy 15 uses much lower power / cooler components. I did a lot of research and decided to make the purchase.

-The HOT '2009' Envy 15 came with:
--720QM (45W TDP)
--ATI 4830 (35W TDP) w/DX10

-The new '2010' Envy 15 comes with:
--core i5 processors (35W TDP)
--ATI 5830 (24W TDP) w/DX11

Both the battery and heat issues have been fixed - the refreshed Envy 15 uses much lower power / cooler components. I did a lot of research and decided to make the purchase.

-The HOT '2009' Envy 15 came with:
--720QM (45W TDP)
--ATI 4830 (35W TDP) w/DX10

-The new '2010' Envy 15 comes with:
--core i5 processors (35W TDP)
--ATI 5830 (24W TDP) w/DX11

from what I been reading is about the new Envy, they still runs hot.... even with i5...

and battery still short...

well, it is still a great laptop without a doubt, and for its price is definitely worth it.. but I still can't find much of reason for me to jump to it while spending 350 more from what I just ordered.....

I will add one thought to this thread for those weighing the pros and cons - this is a real premium laptop. solid aluminum alloy chassis, sleek profile, great industrial design. very reminiscent of a MBP in that way. The only other PC company that builds comparable laptops is (IMHO) Sony with the Z series. It still has issues like any consumer product, but in the field of sub-6lb laptops with 5830-class GPUs quad core CPUs and thin profiles, 1080p screens there's not a lot of competition.
If you just want the biggest or the fastest, this may not be the laptop for you.

Looks nice, but, where's the number pad?!? 15.6" widescreen leaves plenty of room for one ... I was seriously considering this. :(

not really. usually 17 has number pad.

I just did a bunch of research/deal hunting for 14" and 15" laptops for someone else, and I would say that most of the cheap laptops in 15.6" had number pads, which makes the fact that this "premium" system doesn't have one even more tough to swallow.

This could have something to do with the aluminum construction/design, or perhaps the laptops is physically smaller (e.g. smaller bezel on sides of screen)

BCB work? Brings price to $901.55 after 5% BCB. Tempting! Question is if it will go through with the coupon.

Scratch the size idea. This laptop is 1/4" less wide (which is pretty significant, actually) AND has a number pad. Oh, and like 2/3 to 1/2 the price. The Envy is surely built better, uses better materials, and much better vid card. All more reason to make use of the space and cost to add a damn number pad! Why, HP, why?

Meh, by the time I configured it to be as close as possible to a studio 15 1558 that I ordered last month, you're taiking about $1,464.77 with 2 day delivery. HP charge you extra for Norton 15 month, recovery CD, external DVD drive, Cyberlink DVD playback software where as Dell included those things in the BASE price of $899

I paid $1228 delivered for a dell studio 15

Core i5 520m
4GB
500GB 7200 rpm drive
internal dvd writer
bluetooth
wireless n
9 cell battery
Mcafee 15 month subscription
Creative X-fi sould
firewire
VGA/HDMI out
3 speaker audo

upgrade that brough the price to $1074. tax and delivery brought it up to $1229

Bluetooth
500GB drive
1080p panel
backlit keyboard

granted a 4570 sucks compared to a mobility 5830 but but for the extra 235 it cost over the dell, it's just not worth it once you factor in the other missing goodies not to mention that even if I wanted to add a blu-ray drive I would STILL be under HP's price by a decent amt

Scratch the size idea. This laptop is 1/4" less wide (which is pretty significant, actually) AND has a number pad. Oh, and like 2/3 to 1/2 the price. The Envy is surely built better, uses better materials, and much better vid card. All more reason to make use of the space and cost to add a damn number pad! Why, HP, why?

I've read plenty of people actually complain about number pads on 17" notebooks. They don't like how it pushes everything off center. I guess this is why most Sony 17" notebooks don't come with a numberpad. I'm with you though.

HP Bing CB is at 10% right now. It may not go through due to the coupon code, but it never hurts to try. Just go to bing.com, click shopping, then stores, and then search for HP under "H".

This is so tempting. In the market for a dev lappy. . . must resist

HP Bing CB is at 10% right now. It may not go through due to the coupon code, but it never hurts to try. Just go to bing.com, click shopping, then stores, and then search for HP under "H".

I bit. If i don't get the BCB ($94) i'll return it, lol.

Fucking tax.

lol always amazes me what people can find to complain about. It has an i5 | 4GB of Ram (expandable to much more) | Raid Capable | 15.6" 1080P | 5830 1GB | Aluminum Alloy Chassis (less than 1" thick) and $950 dollars

If you want to make yourself feel better buying something else by bashing on a quality laptop, do it in front of a mirror. Since you are only trying to convince yourself =P

^lol I guess if getting a cut down machine for that price because it comes in an aluminum case makes you feel better....lol :p

Ugh so I bit, even though I have a dell studio XPS 1640 already. Selling that thing off... anyway quick question, anyone have any idea on the audio system? So apparently it has the whole beats by dr.dre thing, but it seems gimmicky, is it just some software audio solution? I'm not sure cause I've seen people say that there's a built in headphone amp, or is that like the beats limited edition only? Hehe, can't wait to get the machine tho...

iceredwing, and everyone else, you should note that you have to get the i7 model to get the 16gb upgradable ram. The i5 model is also gimped in a couple other ways.

i5 model:
2 ram slots (8gb max)
no USB 3.0

i7 model:
4 ram slots (16gb max)
two USB 3.0 ports

BCB went through. $95 back. Total price was $854 before tax. Would have been freaking hot without the tax.

The $854 got me:
lowest i5 model
4gb ram
stock 320gb hard disk
15" ultra bright view 1080p screen (glossy)
stock graphics (only option is ATi Mobility 5830 - nice!)

I took a leap of faith on the glossy screen. I feel like I needed to do somthing special to it since it's an TN screen. This will literally by my first monitor OR laptop with a TN screen!

owned laptops:
Fujitsu T4210 (S-IPS derivative screen)
Lenovo X60t (S-IPS derivative screen)
Lenovo T60p (IPS "Flexview" screen)

owned monitors:
HP LP2065 (S-IPS)
Dell 2209WA (e-IPS)
Samsung LNT5271f (S-PVA)

lol I guess if getting a cut down machine for that price because it comes in an aluminum case makes you feel better....lol

yeah and i guess having marginally better parts and having cheap plastic chassis makes you feel better ... LOL

If you prefer that situation, more power to you. But I wasn't bashing you about your decision up until you decided to go make an informative post about a deal for an HP Envy 15 into a "bash the HP Envy 15 so I feel better about my purchase" thread.

Last edited:
Also for the record regarding BCB. I formerly has an issue about it when I ordered my envy 13. I believe what happened was the bing cashback went up after a week of purchase. I wanted to return it and repurchase it to save even more. When I told HP of the situation they simply just refunded me that difference on the bing cashback.

Back