HP Erica Motherboard and nvme support

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I picked up an HP AMD computer cheap for my kids that came with a HDD but has a M.2 slot. I picked up a Crucial P5 Gen3x4 NVMe ssd to upgrade it. I installed Windows 11 on it. I can boot from the drive it came with ,select the new drive during the process but if I remove the original drive I get a no OS found message.
I looked up the specs on the HP computer and the Motherboard has One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4) listed. Is this slot not compatible with the Crucial P5 drive I have? Thanks

If you can see it to install Win11 on it, then it's compatible. Sounds like its a configuration problem with the bios. I haven't tried a Win11 install yet. I would try installing off of a USB drive without the original drive and see if the Windows install sees the Crucial NVMe drive.

If you can see it to install Win11 on it, then it's compatible. Sounds like its a configuration problem with the bios. I haven't tried a Win11 install yet. I would try installing off of a USB drive without the original drive and see if the Windows install sees the Crucial NVMe drive.
Good point, if I can see it, it must be compatible. I was wanting to avoid a reinstall but might be the best route to take. I double check the bios again but everything seemed to be ok but I couldn't select the Crucial NVMe as the boot device.

because you had an existing os on your hdd the bootloader stayed there. what exactly are you attempting to do? remove the hdd or reuse it for storage? you can move the bootloader to the nvme, google/bing it.

because you had an existing os on your hdd the bootloader stayed there. what exactly are you attempting to do? remove the hdd or reuse it for storage? you can move the bootloader to the nvme, google/bing it.
I was going to use it for storage. To be honest, I thought I unplugged the original drive when I installed on the nvme. I'll try to move the bootloader. Thanks for the help.

I'll probably just reinstall on this computer but I have another computer that I'd like to clone the SSD to a nvme that I'd expect that I'll have the same issue with. Would you have a product that you'd recommend that should be able to do this? I saw AOMEI backupper pro will do it but it is $50. I'll keep looking also but thought I might as well see if there is a similar cheaper product available that people have had success with. Thanks

I'm sure there's a free program out there somewhere. I used to use the EaseUS ToDo Backup program and it worked fine.

I'll probably just reinstall on this computer but I have another computer that I'd like to clone the SSD to a nvme that I'd expect that I'll have the same issue with. Would you have a product that you'd recommend that should be able to do this? I saw AOMEI backupper pro will do it but it is $50. I'll keep looking also but thought I might as well see if there is a similar cheaper product available that people have had success with. Thanks
ive always used backupper, easeus is good too.

Back