hp f2304

kyaku00x

n00b
I'm planning on getting this monitor (since its price is so low now), but I can't find any decent reviews for it? how good is it, does anyone here have any kind of experience with it? does it use the same panel as the hp L2335, cause that one got a really good review from anandtech, they even said that its better than the Dell 2405.

any feed back would be appreciated :D

thanks a bundle :D
I think I might get 2 now.. and its almost the same price as the dell.

kyaku00x said:
I'm planning on getting this monitor (since its price is so low now), but I can't find any decent reviews for it? how good is it, does anyone here have any kind of experience with it? does it use the same panel as the hp L2335, cause that one got a really good review from anandtech, they even said that its better than the Dell 2405.

any feed back would be appreciated :D

Ummm, where did they say flat out it was better? The idea I got from that article was that they hadnt even seen the 2405 yet. None of the tests had the 2405 listed and the only sentance that seemed to even mention a difference between them was "We suspect that the response time is probably better than that of the Dell 2405FPW, since SIPS panels (like the one used in the HP L2335) generally outperform PVA panels here.".

I read that thing cover to cover multiple times before deciding to give the 2405 a chance(I get it on tuesday) and had it said anywhere that it was "better" I may not have. Basically they assume its better in one area, although if my 2405 is not acceptable I may return it and pick up a L2335 as I almost did from the start. The thing that scared me is that many online places sell 2-4 different models(all with different mfg#) of the L2335 all for different prices yet when I asked HP about the difference I was told in an unconvicing tone that there was no difference. I find it hard to believe the same site would sell the same exact monitor for $1100 and $1500, I suspect refurb but havent figured it out yet.

I've actually used both for a decent length. At my work at HP I had a f2304 and it was a fantastic monitor. It looked incredible for everything you threw at it. The 2405 is equally impressive. I really cannot tell a difference in quality either way, differing panels be damned they are both superb. In fact, as far as screen quality goes I think you'll be equally satisfied. Now, the dell is a much more flexible monitor. The amount of flexibility you have really gives it an edge on convenience. The HP one can be decent enough if you tend not to change the settings of it much. However, the monitor did have a really annoying habit to fall down frequently. The dell screen takes up less space as well and rids itself of the annoying speakers on the side (actually the speakers really aren't that bad on the HP.)

To sum it up you will love it either way, the dell definently has an edge on convenience but if that is not an issue either will fit you fine. I'd reccommend just going for whatever is cheaper.

has anyone used both the F2304 and L2335? According to cnet the F2304 has poor image quality compared to other monitors including the L2335, though they use the same panel...

I dont know how much, if any stock to put in cnet(though I guess all reviews are just someones opinion...) but I'd be interesting in knowing what the big differences are in these 2 monitors should I decide to buy one of the two.

However, the Dell 2405FPW has two major differences; first, it only costs $840 on sale (usually) and second, it uses a slightly larger, but slower response time panel (Samsung claims 8ms transient response time, but occasionally, this is just clever marketing rather than a true TrTf or Gray to Gray number).

they are saying there flat out that the dell has a slower response time.. which should mean that the HP L2335 is better if not for the price. but since the guys here have shown that the f2304 uses the same panel as the l2335, and its in about the same price range as the dell, then it becomes automatically the better option (or so one would conclude from the anandtech article)..

I'll be ordering mine tonight (and if I can squeeze the budget I'll go for another :D)..

kyaku00x said:
they are saying there flat out that the dell has a slower response time.. which should mean that the HP L2335 is better if not for the price. but since the guys here have shown that the f2304 uses the same panel as the l2335, and its in about the same price range as the dell, then it becomes automatically the better option (or so one would conclude from the anandtech article)..

I'll be ordering mine tonight (and if I can squeeze the budget I'll go for another :D)..

But doesnt dell modify the panels? There is still nothing to go on in that article in regards to the 2405, hell it was writen like a year before it even came out. I dont think anyone in thier right mind would "conclude" anything "automatically" from that sentance. Hell he said "occasionally" not that the response time was even wrong, didnt even hint that it probably was just said its possible. I'm not saying the 2405 is better or that it isnt slower but just that the article there is worthless for comparing the 2405 to the L2335.

Also I've read a lot of mixed reviews on that F2304 panel so I'd suggest doing a lot of research, the guy who owns one seems to like it here but I can point out a billion people that own a 2405 and love it as well so take that with a grain of salt.

you're making me have second thoughts now :confused:.. maybe more research is in order.
but what about the link that Casca provided, in it was written the following..

Dell 2405FPW: I evaluated this, because of good reviews. However, I found it to be nothing more then a midrange monitor , IMO a good cheap screen but nothing more. It has good blacks and bright whites (like PVA/MVA screens usually have), but bad when it comes to color accuracy. It "oversaturates" the picture making colors look stronger then original content, which is bad for my taste. The transitions between levels of contrast was also too bad and the response time not good enough for my use. Its got a good scaler I have heard though, bad vga port on some, and it has more connection options then the Apple 30". 1" bigger then the one I bought, but with higher pixel pitch, which means less sharp image. The colors would also be too "contagous" in scaling, due to crystal positioning.

can anyone counter those claims.. since he is saying that the response time is slower, as the anandtech article suggested..

its all so damn confusing I think the only thing you can really do is buy one and see how it fits you. There are people that swear by both monitors/panels, supposidly some of the companies overestimate specs, some underestimate(I find this hard to believe but whatever), ect, ect, ect...

I'd really like to see a credible site do a head to head review of both of these lcd's but that may never happen. One thing I do like about the dell is that its from dell, meaning if I have ANY problems at all they'll take it back or exchange it and at no cost to me. Most of the other retailers I've seen have policy that states you need to have at least like 8 dead pixels to return it and even then they will only pay one way on the shipping. I'd be pist if I had to live with 7 dead pixels :(

Deadsexy said:
its all so damn confusing I think the only thing you can really do is buy one and see how it fits you. There are people that swear by both monitors/panels, supposidly some of the companies overestimate specs, some underestimate(I find this hard to believe but whatever), ect, ect, ect...

I'd really like to see a credible site do a head to head review of both of these lcd's but that may never happen. One thing I do like about the dell is that its from dell, meaning if I have ANY problems at all they'll take it back or exchange it and at no cost to me. Most of the other retailers I've seen have policy that states you need to have at least like 8 dead pixels to return it and even then they will only pay one way on the shipping. I'd be pist if I had to live with 7 dead pixels :(

I think I can contribute a little here as I had both (still have HP). 2405 is a fine monitor but it had one flaw that disqualified it for me. It changed the shadow detail depending on the viewing angle, you didn't have to make a crazy angle, it was enough just to sit dead on and glance at the edges to see the colors wash out. The grays actually got some silverish tint to them when looking at the edges of the screen. Apparently this is a known issue with S/PVA/MVA panels. HP is using S-IPS so it doesn't have this effect although it suffers in contrast. The blacks are not that great. 1" is not that much but it is smaller than Dell and you can actualy see and feel it when looking at them side by side. The bigger size on Dell contributes to bigger dot pitch so some stuff may seam less sharp.
Two things I hate about F2304 are those silly speakers on the sides and non adjustable stand, all you can do is tilt it. There is no height or side to sidea adjustment, pretty big oversight on their part.
It's hard to get f2304 with even backlight, I'm on my third and will probably try another one and give up after that, dell was perfect out of the box, but of course YMMV.
In games and movies they both performed similarily. I was able to calibrate both of them with Spyder 2 without any problems.
Oh yeah, don't be held up on the dell "excellent" return policy, I don't know about that. Each time I got replacement from HP it was almost no questions asked, I just said it's faulty and new one was on it's way, no counting dead pixels etc. Each time they paid for either 2 day or overnight shipping.

What is the best price on this monitor...best I have found is 839 after a $100 mail in rebate.

thanks for the contribution and tell us if you got a better 3rd replacement alex..
I'm biting the bullet and buying one at least.. thanks for all the feedback guys ;)

Back