HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Speaking of which what is the difference between latency and input lag ? I noticed these days people are hardly talking about black to white latency, but are more talkative about input lag

Well, most monitors have good enough responsetime, so it's not a concern anymore. Input lag on the other hand, is a big problem. The difference between them is that response time got to do with how fast a pixel can go on, off, and on again. Depending on how fast the response time is, the less ghosting/ afterglow you will see. This is important to get a sharp picture in fast movement. Input lag is simply how much delayed the signal to the screen is. Not only has the screen input lag, you have to take into account the input lag of the graphics card, mouse and hz of the screen. At 60hz, the screen takes 16ms to display the image.

Do you have a colorimeter that can meausere black level of the screen?
I got my 2475w today and I own the X-rite i1display2. If someone directs me how to measure the black level I am happy to help (including free/trial software if needed?).

Try this software: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php
It is free calibration pack. Although I personally don't use it, it may be very good and may include a white/black/whatever measurement mode.
I installed the HCFR software before receiving my new screen. The graphs and values produced by it makes no sense to me. For instance, the deltaE values are not in the same ballpark as the ones in the reviews. So unless there is a HCFR for dummies somewhere it does not help me much.

I installed the HCFR software before receiving my new screen. The graphs and values produced by it makes no sense to me. For instance, the deltaE values are not in the same ballpark as the ones in the reviews. So unless there is a HCFR for dummies somewhere it does not help me much.

You can download Eye-One Match from Xrite or use a demo of ColorEyes which will claibrate and give you a deltaE value min/max of your screen.

The lower the deltaE the better. My Hazro HZ24Wi is 0.4 lowest and 0.78 maximum after cal.

After calibration with ColorEyes I get an average dE of 0.39 and a maximum dE of 0.69. The system profile overview says the black level is 0.196 cd/m^2 (brightness is set at 18/100), not sure if that is a measured value? I have included screen shots below.

When I try to validate the calibration profile I did with X-rites EyeOne Match3 software, ColorEyes report most deltaEs at about 180 and an average in 130s. Not sure what I am doing wrong with that.

is any way to calibrate only with software? without hardware calibration unit.

is any way to calibrate only with software? without hardware calibration unit.
The screen comes with a CD that contains a "HP Display Assistant" which guides you through a number of steps where you change the screen settings in the OSD.

I changed the brightness to the minimum and did a profile, and then changed it to the maximum and did a new profile. Albovin mentioned measuring black levels at these values in the Hazro thread. Not sure if should have changed anything else in between as well?

Anyway black point for minimum was measured to 0.124 and maximum was 0.509, as shown in the images below.

Dear HardOCP users.

I got a power/heat build up question regarding these monitors.

Does S-IPS in general, consume more 'watts' in operation, and therefore(more watt = more energy) create more heat, and warm up the room more, than S-PVA panels?

The HP LP2475w power spec is this:

120 watt maximum, 75 watt typical.

The Dell 2408 power consumption(s-pva):

110 Watts (maximum); 57 Watts (typical);

Even though the Dell 2408(I have one here) is known to be a 'toaster' on top of the monitor,
doesn't those power specs imply that the DELL 2408 uses almost 30% less power than the HP 2475, and therefor will generate a lot less heat??

That is my main concern... if that's correct, I will buy another Dell 2408... It has a better stand, and might be a higher quality monitor, as it is 30% higher price and S-PVA(IPS is more expensive).

Why get S-IPS, except for less input lag? Wouldn't those two be about the same?

THANKS!

Kris

I changed the brightness to the minimum and did a profile, and then changed it to the maximum and did a new profile. Albovin mentioned measuring black levels at these values in the Hazro thread. Not sure if should have changed anything else in between as well?

Anyway black point for minimum was measured to 0.124 and maximum was 0.509, as shown in the images below.

Well, Albinovins arguments for doing so were lousy. Makes no sense in knowing what the black point is at lowest and highest brightness. Max- and minimum brightness is different on every monitor. What i want to know, is what the black point is at the setting i actually will use. Am i supposed to guess what the black point is at 200cd/m2 brightness? Why do you think all reviews measure black point at sRGB stanard (140cd/m2) and 200cd/m2?

Well, thanks for testing anyway. :)

Pricing and availability

The HP LP 2275w 22-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor is available today and the HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor is expected to be available in North America in September for estimated starting U.S. street prices of $459 to $649, respectively.

Jim Christensen
Director, Media Relations
HP Personal Systems Group
Cupertino, California

very nice, thanks.

Dear HardOCP users.

I got a power/heat build up question regarding these monitors.

Does S-IPS in general, consume more 'watts' in operation, and therefore(more watt = more energy) create more heat, and warm up the room more, than S-PVA panels?

The HP LP2475w power spec is this:

120 watt maximum, 75 watt typical.

The Dell 2408 power consumption(s-pva):

110 Watts (maximum); 57 Watts (typical);

Even though the Dell 2408(I have one here) is known to be a 'toaster' on top of the monitor,
doesn't those power specs imply that the DELL 2408 uses almost 30% less power than the HP 2475, and therefor will generate a lot less heat??

That is my main concern... if that's correct, I will buy another Dell 2408... It has a better stand, and might be a higher quality monitor, as it is 30% higher price and S-PVA(IPS is more expensive).

Why get S-IPS, except for less input lag? Wouldn't those two be about the same?

THANKS!

Kris

The biggest power draw and heat producer is going to be the backlight which is independent of the film type, so your brightness level will be the determining factor.

OK I've just ordered a LP2475W. Pray for me that there are no duff pixels. BTW my Dell 2007 has hardly any heat at the top of the screen. My previous NEC 20WGX2 was VERY hot at the top of the screen and thus I think that was why the staining occurred on 3 different screens I had replaced.

Heat is a real problem I think with S-IPS displays. I hope this HP is as cool as my Dell is.

It's been posted repeatedly..
Even if you only read this last page, it was quoted 3 posts above you.
ETA September, MSRP $649 USD.

Thanks a lot for all the information on this LCD though. Bummer it doesn't have an A-TW polarizer, although I'm not sure if that'll be a deal breaker for me, upgrading from a TN. I'd love to get the featureset of the 2490 with more inputs, but I don't have 1.2k to spend on an LCD.

If you guys can run any more tests on these it'd be great, thanks!

No, not from what I've read so far.. that 10-bit thing was a mixup from the previewer. The higher LCD in HP's product line, the Dreamcolor 2480zx is the one with 10-bit and LED backlighting. The 2475 is only 8-bit and CCFL.

Ah well. That's not so bad. I am keen to see what the high colour gamut provides though. Less banding on gradiations?

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere in this thread, but what is the input lag on this thing?

I'm looking for an IPS panel to be my catch-all monitor, and don't want to suffer too much in gaming for going with a bigger panel.

Also, in terms of price, this thing is pretty close to the 26" DoubleSight that will be released around the same time.

~S

Great...how does that stack up to other LCD panels though? (edit: regarding the input lag)

It seems pretty minimal, imo, but he's really giving me relative values (to his CRT) instead of absolute values. (edit: about input lag...)

~S

it simply amazes me how people never bothered to go through this thread to find out ....

nobody is gonna do anything for you unless you start taking some efforts yourselves >_>:

Just to reclarify.

- It's 8 bit, not 10 bit panel.

- It's using CCFL, not LED backlighting.

- It is not using any Polarizer at all

- It has wide gamut

- overall it looks very similar to the HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Display but with a much affordable price, as you can see if you go to the following site and click on the comparison http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/my/en/sm/WF02a/382087-382087-64283.html

*sigh*

Thank you for repeating things I found out for myself and thus never asked about. I want to know about the input lag, which you'd know if you read the post three posts above your own.

Post the goddam input lag in absolute terms next time or stop spewing about how I'm not paying attention, would you?

I can get a more intelligent response at a McDonalds drive-thru.

~S

it simply amazes me how people never bothered to go through this thread to find out ....
[/url]

ditto...but thats all forums :rolleyes:

Great...how does that stack up to other LCD panels though? (edit: regarding the input lag)

It seems pretty minimal, imo, but he's really giving me relative values (to his CRT) instead of absolute values. (edit: about input lag...)

~S

what does that even mean? You want it relative to other lcds...uhh which one? not that hard to look up the input lag on other lcd and compare it for yourself. Then you say you want an absolute value?

Sorry bud, but the attitude of "spoon feed me the information" then getting huffy when people get irate won't get you very far imho

As far as I know CRTs are known to have zero input lag, otherwise why would everyone be comparing LCDs against them?

Yes, the input lag is relative in relation to that CRT, but all CRTs should have zero lag, and whatever reviews you find regarding input lag will ALSO most likely be pit against a CRT. Therefore, it's actually much easier to have everyone compare their LCDs to a known factor - the CRT, rather than against each other since they all vary. In this way, these numbers ARE an absolute value - it is this many milliseconds slower than the known constant, the CRT, versus a competing LCD who has another input lag value derived by being pit against the same known constant - again, the CRT.

This whole argument of course, depends on my assumption that CRTs have zero input lag on being correct, which is the impression I get reading all the LCD threads regarding the matter. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, but I feel those numbers are about as absolute as you're going to get. If you were running this test, how do you propose we get "absolute" values?

Edit:
As far as a list goes, there is a hefty recommendations thread on the Anandtech Video/Graphics forums stickied near the top with a bunch of input/response time measurements - although I believe they are all pit against a CRT as well, so perhaps it does not suit your definition of "absolute."

*sigh*

Thank you for repeating things I found out for myself and thus never asked about. I want to know about the input lag, which you'd know if you read the post three posts above your own.

Post the goddam input lag in absolute terms next time or stop spewing about how I'm not paying attention, would you?

I can get a more intelligent response at a McDonalds drive-thru.

~S

It wasn't meant to answer your particular question if u hadn't noticed already :rolleyes: even an ichimpanezee would have figured that out.

It was for other peoples general information before they asked a retarded question like you just did :D

Anyway like i said a few pages back somebody posted their input lag test with minimum and maximum input lag. Thats your answer there now go do yourself a favor and browse there .... or do you think your a king or something and need to be silver spoon fed ? :confused:

Just because you didn't get your answer doesn't mean you should be a brat online. Helping others is a privilege and not a right so please just grow up and stop with the immature cynide remarks.

With your attitude i doubt people will bother to help you in the future, just a tip :rolleyes:

Mmm, guess I touched a nerve.

The hypocritical "Zomg, let me tell you to go read a seven page thread when I didn't even bother to read your post!" on top of "Here, here are answers you didn't ask for! ZOMG why aren't you grateful!?!?" make you sound like a tool, bro.

And no, nobody believes you were just randomly reposting all that other crap just because "um...somebody else might want to read it" when you were clearly responding directly to my post.

/facepalm

~S

PS- I'm done with this thread. No offense, but if I bother to post online, I'm at least looking for a little bit more intelligence from the discourse than I'm getting here. GG, guys. :rolleyes:

It just got smarter when you left. Good ridance.

Anyway back to topic now that pest has been evicted ;)

Does this monitor have an internal lut ?

I was looking into getting an Eye one display 2 monitor calibrator, but i was told in another thread in regards to gaming it wouldn't be as useful if the monitor didn't have an internal lut and allowed it to be adjusted. Graphics card lut they said most likely get overwritten by ingame settings.

Any ideas guys :confused:

I think comparing the LP2475w with the Dream colour variant as being an affordable version is quite laughable!! on a side note i wouldnt mind a 30 inch version!!

Well if you head down to the hp site they have a compare feature there. Most of the specs are more or less the same. So as i said if you don't mind losing some of the additional stuff mentioned earlier, then yes it's a cheaper alternative then the Dream color monitor ;)

Not sure if dream has polarizer and internal lut though :confused:

The LP2475w has no internal LUT. I'm not sure about the Dreamcolor LP2480zw, but HP has just announced a hardware calibrator for the LP2480zw, so maybe it does have one.

Can somebody please answer my question.

S-IPS monitors, are they generally warmer and more heat generating(i got a small room) than S-PVA's?

The Dell 2408wfp is quite warm on the top of the monitor, for those of you who have the HP 2475WFP, does it become warm on the top, or the sides? Warm to the touch?? Or is it cool running?

The HP 2475 really is cheaper than the Dell 2408, and usually one gets what one pays for. Should you get the 2408wfp with a 30% discount, or gett the HP 2475 full price(same price).

Thanks!!!

The HP LP2475w does not have an internal LUT. There are very few monitors with internal LUTs and most of them are professional monitors that cost thousands. The NEC xx90 series (2490, 2690, etc), are the "cheapest" monitors I know of that have internal LUTs.

Thx worthless. I was about to ask you about the 2480. Hm... with the additional modern inputs for the HP it may seem a better choice for me then the HP. I want to wait first for the reviews to confirm the internal lut and what this hardware calibrator is.

krisno are you aware that the 2408 suffers high input lag that is troublesome for gamers and even non gamers i would say. Revision A01 supposedly fixes that problem or so Dell claims. You may need to investigate on that. The HP on the otherhand someone here in the thread said it does maximum 30 ms input latency which is pretty normal input lag you would expect from IPS or PVA panels. For gaming to me that seems pretty ok. Nothing as Bizzare as the Dell.

The Dell base stand is sexier but after going through the Hp manual the stand doesn't look that bad. It also has a neat feature to easily remove the panel from the base. It does pivot, swivel and height adjust.

The Dell is a S-PVA and the HP is a S-IPS. I would rather get the HP S-IPS which is superior then the S-PVA. Even if i did decide to get an S-PVA if it was cheaper, i still would not get the Dell because of the insanely high input lag.

Worthless the Hp 2480 is 3000 + usd :eek: thats insane. Definately out of my league.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-LP2480zx-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/3239047/product.html

There are some video reviews here
http://www.wikio.com/product/hp-dreamcolor-lp2480zx-127042.html

Thanks...

but still, you did not answer my question.

Does all S-IPS generate more heat than S-ips? The 'watt' specs on the HP 2475 is quite a bit higher than the Dell. So it generates more heat?

Secondly, how the hell deep / big is that stand. It can't be placed closed to a wall compared to the Dell can it???

HOW WARM IS THIS MONITOR ?? :)

thanks

Blarg! I ordered an LP2475W for next day shipping yesterday. I've just found out they shipped it to the wrong address and I won't get it now until tomorrow. I asked if I will get reimbursed for the extra I paid for next day shipping and he gave me some BS that he would 'try'. Not too confident with this company www.digital-fusion.co.uk

I've emailed them asking for a refund on the extra I paid for next day. I won't get shirty until the monitor actually arrives in good condition. Sometimes buying from the cheapest is not always a good idea.

From what i understand most of the heat is the PSU internally in the monitor.

The Hazro has a brick PSU outside the monitor which reduces the heat alot. The hazro has no openings and instead uses the passive cooling of the aluminium cover.

The HP on the under hand has a PSU inside. Which is why it has air holes to let out the heat. So i am guessing the Hp is hotter :X

From what i understand most of the heat is the PSU internally in the monitor.

The Hazro has a brick PSU outside the monitor which reduces the heat alot. The hazro has no openings and instead uses the passive cooling of the aluminium cover.

The HP on the under hand has a PSU inside. Which is why it has air holes to let out the heat. So i am guessing the Hp is hotter :X

In the end set to produce the same amount of light, they will produce about the same amount of heat into your room. Now as far as which is hotter to touch, I would bet on the sealed aluminum feeling hotter than vented plastic.

Back