HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Well, I also finally bit the bullet and ordered the thing. Now all I can do is wait and hope it's as good as I hope it is!

Before reading about the "wide gamut" cons I was getting the HP 2475...

Now I stopped again.

At the moment I'm working with a CRT because I don't like LCD too much but... cmon I need to save space, gain screen size and relax my eyes a little bit. I work with Adobe suite, and 3D applications. Sometimes I play with my synths using DAW applications.

I would like to ask it this "wide gamut" will let my go nuts with color profiling... and if it's better to switch to a 22'' EIZO 2231 instead of getting this 24 HP (near the same price).
One is PVA the other is IPS... but EIZO is well known to be a good choice... I simply can't afford an EIZO 2431... but the 22 is "affordable".

Any suggestion about EIZO 2231 vs HP 2475 (let's keep out the 22 vs 24 thing)

thanks in advance...

Don't bother with the EIZO. It also has a wide gamut, although it's not as wide as the HP, and the viewing angles will reduce color accuracy. The only advantage is that particular panel has much higher contrast, but HP has a 22" model with the same panel: HP LP2275w

That one is S-PVA. There are no 22" IPS panels other than the one EIZO is using in their $5000 monitor.

i think the main question is this wide gamut thing just so bad? I mean, shouldnt we buy this product?

Don't bother with the EIZO. It also has a wide gamut, although it's not as wide as the HP, and the viewing angles will reduce color accuracy. The only advantage is that particular panel has much higher contrast, but HP has a 22" model with the same panel: HP LP2275w

That's why EIZO 2231 is interesting. A "limited wide gamut" can be the right balance. And with a good contrast can be an interesting LCD. But I'll take a look to the HP 2275w.

OK I am starting to get used to the HP. The colours are a little saturated but to be honest once you apply some decent calibration it's not as harsh as I first thought. The blacks could be a little deeper but is to be expected from a non-glossy display panel. Plus being bigger than the 20" I had I notice the silvery effect a bit more towards the edges even when sitting straight on. A little distracting but nothing majorly so. I notice some reflected glare more. Also in comparison to the Dell 2007FPW the blacks are indeed a lot deeper and do not have that purple effect that the Dell S-IPS has. For the money I think it's an excellent buy.

Oh and I tried the parrots wallpaper and it looks rich and aglow but not eye blastingly oversaturated now I have the monitor setup a lot better.

Use that Ugra profile posted earlier if you don't have calibration equipment. It works very well.

After a day with my two 2475w's I will say it's a very good screen for the money.

Is it perfect, no, not at all, but non of the issues are nagging the sh*t out of me like all other screens have.
Is it a great buy for the money? I think it is, and it's just good enough for most people to get by, until OLED's or other hopefully much better new tech's take over. At least thats how I see it.

I used the HP 2475w for some time now.

The HP, atleast with 50 brightness setting, creates less heat than the Dell 2408wfp

The HP has none of the problems the Dell 2408wfp had. No input lag, no sharpening of the text etc. I can spot no halo's. And there is not even a sharpening setting when atleast using the HDMI.

The HP shows details in dark part of images which the dell did not. Probably since the Dell is S-PVA.

The Dell has quite a bit better black level. The backlight shines through...

The Dell has a 10x better stand. The stand is so big on the HP.

The HP for the price is good, but the Lacie 521 even though 3 years old, is better...

Kris

Thanks for the wallpapers Steffen.

Can someone with the display and a calibrator check the minimum brightness of the backlight? If it can go lower than the 24" NEC I might be sold despite the wide gamut factor.

If measuring black, make sure you warm up for an hour. After 20 minutes, black was .20 on my NEC, it took over an hour to reach .25. Warmup takes a long time if you are running low brightness. I ran my display on high for 3 hours before my last calibration.

At first I thought this would be a big deal, but black is relative. I did a manual brightness calibration that came out to 169.4cd/m2 0.25 cd/m2, Contrast 666 calibrated. It looks great.

This new panel should be better with an advertised 1000:1 contrast. Black/Contrast should not be an issue.

Hi all

Does anyone know what versions of the hdmi and displayport specifications the 2475w supports? Also, I read earlier that the 2475w doesn't appear to overscan or overcrop - is this true for all inputs including the analog ones? I take it PIP is supported as well, but what inputs can be used?

Can someone with the display and a calibrator check the minimum brightness of the backlight? If it can go lower than the 24" NEC I might be sold despite the wide gamut factor.

I would like to second that request, please. This monitor sure is creating alot of buzz, and I might be tempted to jump at it as well. My only concern (like more than a few other posters here) is the minimum brightness. Eyestrain is a major problem I am trying to deal with, and the dimmer the unit, the better for my poor eyeballs. Thanks in advance.

I would like to second that request, please. This monitor sure is creating alot of buzz, and I might be tempted to jump at it as well. My only concern (like more than a few other posters here) is the minimum brightness. Eyestrain is a major problem I am trying to deal with, and the dimmer the unit, the better for my poor eyeballs. Thanks in advance.

It isn't particularly bright if you set it to 0 brightness. Also, if you lower contrast it becomes even darker. IIRC someone measured ~120 cd with brightness set to 26 and contrast to 50.

I did a quick test connecting my Wii via component. Worked fine, except that I need to find a cable to connect the 2 sound cables to my computer.

Aspect ratios were: "Fill to screen" (stretch), "Fill to aspect" (16:9, small black borders on the side) and "One to one" which was a small centered window (I am guessing 480p size). Sharpness setting was 1 to 5 (I preferred 3). Finally a "Dynamic contrast control" which made the screen way too bright for my taste.

I just calibrated the HP 2475 with Spyder 3 Elite.

At first the changes seem small, but after also enabling color mangement in firefox 3.x(must be enabled manually), I have never seen a better picture on any monitor in this price-range.

Best I have ever seen..... but well, still apps which are not color managed shows tendencies to not be as good.

Still if the stand had been smaller, this is a great monitor.

K

At first the changes seem small, but after also enabling color mangement in firefox 3.x(must be enabled manually), I have never seen a better picture on any monitor in this price-range.

Best I have ever seen..... but well, still apps which are not color managed shows tendencies to not be as good.

K

Does the spyder not offer the option of loading calibrated values into the gfx card LUT at boot time? If it does, and you enable that, does it tame colours in non-colour-managed apps?

Does the spyder not offer the option of loading calibrated values into the gfx card LUT at boot time? If it does, and you enable that, does it tame colours in non-colour-managed apps?

Non colour managed apps show colours as SRGB so no different unless you're on a Wide gamut screen (which the HP is) but for everyone else on a standard gamut screen no difference viewing uncal apps on uncal images, only adobesrgb images for example would look proper when col management is enabled (eg: firefox 3)

K

Some more comments about general color in non color manged applications ?
Watching movies, general windows usage ?

I use my PC mostly for gaming, so would this whole wide-gamut thing have a negative effect on modern PC games, such as World of Warcraft?

Thanks. :)

I use my PC mostly for gaming, so would this whole wide-gamut thing have a negative effect on modern PC games, such as World of Warcraft?

Thanks. :)

Since PC games consist of primitive, unrealistic images, WG problem affects them minimally if any.

If the stand is the biggest problem you have with this monitor, then it must be pretty good.

If it becomes a big deal, HP has traditionally used VESA 100mm mounted stands, so you could theoretically get a new one.

But if it's smaller, it also might not be as stable and it might cause your monitor to wobble.

K

Seems like the professional review will be up soon.

it will be with me next Wed, so depends on how long it takes me to put it through it's paces should be within the next 2 weeks, but could prob answer specific questions as of next Wed

Source: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=17911883

TFT-Central also said they are releasing a review soon :X hm .....

I am a bit concerned about what someone reported when they calibrated to D65 and found that on a white background there was some problem. Can anybody with a calibrator confirm this ?

Badass is the guy from TFT Central, so it'll be the same review.

Well, I ordered mine yesterday, so should be here tomorrow or the day after. Gone back to my 17" Acer TN in the interrim, it's really very small after using a 24" for so many months :(

I just got back from talking with the HP sales person and found the KD911A4#AB4 HP LP2475w 24-inch widescreen LCD Monitor RM 2,447

converted to usd it is 714.190 USD :eek:

Well..... i still think it's worth it ;)

I just got back from talking with the HP sales person and found the KD911A4#AB4 HP LP2475w 24-inch widescreen LCD Monitor RM 2,447

converted to usd it is 714.190 USD :eek:

Well..... i still think it's worth it ;)

But remember, nobody pays full price from HP, they quote the larger figure so the businesses can feel they've "haggled" and got the price down.

Just like in the UK, buying from another retailer is around 100 GBP cheaper than direct from HP.

Found this on the us HP site, and its available to ship. Are there any other outlets that have this in stock yet? I tried CDW and TigerDirect but neither had it yet.

The $650 price on the US HP site includes the $100 "Smart buy discount." They quote a shipping date of Sept 4th. Just ordered mine, looks like I should get it Monday.

I called HP to order it and they told me it should be available in a few weeks. I can't find where to buy it on their website.

Back