HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Just do a search on the hp site for the model number, you can add it to cart and check out.

I'm at an impasse for my purchasing decision. I kind of want to wait on the reviews for this monitor. On the other hand I could buy the Planar 26" for a hundred bucks more. Gah. I hate these decisions!

culthero...sana mesaj gonderemiyorum, mesaj ayarlarin ozel mesaj kapali diyor. Monitor gelmis, almayı dusunuyorsan haber ver. $935 + KDV

$749 is MSRP, $649 is their "Smart buy" price. Basically, they keep the higher priced SKU for business customers who get bulk order discounts (or something like that, not sure exactly how it works), and the "Smart buy" price is what everyone else pays. There is absolutely no difference in the monitors, the lower price just reflects the "promotional pricing".

since I have not seen a definitive answer yet I thought I'd post this link to PRAD which reports that all digital inputs support HDCP. Doesn't make it a certainty I suppose, but it would be pretty odd to not have it at all.

From HP's overview,

Get connected with DVI-I, DisplayPort, and HDMI with HDCP support for protected content, plus component, S-video, and composite inputs. Enjoy quick peripheral connectivity from the monitor with the built-in six-port USB hub.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3648442.html

Got mine this morning, very impressed. Saturation tames using HP Display Assist to the point where everything looks natural.

Lagom tests all passed well (Black level can see from 4th box, white saturation can see all boxes, last one being almost pure white), no banding (vertical or horizontal), contrast can see all boxes, first being almost black.

Very impressed - and yes, the stand isn't quite as ugly in the flesh!

Just received my LP2475w yesterday in the UK. I've been involved in the Dell 2408wfp saga, awaiting the A01 revision, and then ordering one only to find it didn't have the revised firmware as promised (supposed to solve some of the known issues). The main problem for me was the appearance of mostly red halos around text. I tried tuning cleartype and adjusting sharpness a bit using Soft MCCS as suggested elsewhere but this didn't really solve the problem. Got completely fed up with the situation and returned the monitor, but then found this thread.

As a thanks for all the information here, I wanted to create a quick post to give my impressions of the HP, especially to anyone having the same problems ordering the Dell 2408.

Well, I am absolutely delighted with the LP2475w. I'm not a gamer so cannot comment on the performance there, but I've found the following advantages over the Dell:

Text is beautifully sharp with no halos (no sharpening adjustment possible or necessary with DVI input).

Wide gamut oversaturation effect less apparent than on the Dell. Tried calibration with my i1 display2 and found that there was very little change, so the .icc profile supplied by HP was very good. Using colour managed applications, including Firefox3 and Photoshop, the colours are accurate and the image quality is fantastic.

Mouse responsiveness seems better, I assume through much better input lag than the Dell.

The HP screen brightness is better controlled. With the Dell, I had to use brightness 0 in low ambient light conditions whereas a setting of around 15 is comfortable with the HP.

The menu functions are easier to navigate, and I especially like the fact that the OSD position can be altered which makes calibration much easier.

There are no faulty pixels.

Viewing angle is great with no significant colour or brightness changes at normal angles.

Backlighting seems very even, with just a slight darkness of the right side visible with a full white background. I would not have noticed this if I hadn't been reading these forums so much! There was the same effect with the Dell, again not significant but slightly more noticeable than on the HP.

Build quality seems very good. To me, even the often criticised stand looks fine (admittedly the plastic tray is a bit of a dust trap) and the overall impression of the monitor is of a solid, high quality item.

The S-IPS advantage is very clear to me in comparison with the Dell S-PVA panel. The LP2475 was only slightly more expensive and therefore seems like excellent value for money.

But remember, nobody pays full price from HP, they quote the larger figure so the businesses can feel they've "haggled" and got the price down.

Just like in the UK, buying from another retailer is around 100 GBP cheaper than direct from HP.

Thanks for the advice. This was what i heard as well that HP sells more expensive compared to their resellers :confused:

I did ask them to forward me to a reseller to buy this monitor, but the reseller started talking about the 2465 ......... i wanted to smack the resellers face :rolleyes:

This is why i got fedup and just ask HP to sell me directly. Anyway i just ordered and they said i should get it within 7 to 10 days :D

I'm getting mine for $1128 AUD (excl. tax),

That's $957 USD!!

I get ripped off here :(

The tax is a killer in Aussy. Your better of voting the g out of office :rolleyes: The only thing i like about them is their internet broadband development policy which is a billion times better than my country :rolleyes:

From HP's overview,

Get connected with DVI-I, DisplayPort, and HDMI with HDCP support for protected content, plus component, S-video, and composite inputs. Enjoy quick peripheral connectivity from the monitor with the built-in six-port USB hub.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3648442.html

Well there you go then.

Noticed that the US site does not seem to list the actual panel type, just "active matrix TFT". Hoping that is not a bad sign.

Would like to know if there is any overscan/cropping issue on HDMI like some other monitors have had, if anyone would be willing to check.

There was a listing on the HP site previously that mentioned IPS. That might not have been the US site though.

yeah, that was the UK site. I'm hoping that they just figure there are fewer people over here that would understand if they listed an actual tech. I think some one said they talked to a US rep who said they would be IPS

I would doubt they'd use another panel just for the US market, it doesn't make business sense to test 2 different monitors.

HP doesn't list panel types on the US site, but I spoke with a customer service rep a couple weeks ago who assured me that the US panel is IPS.

What the heck, went ahead and ordered one after a long search for the ideal 24" monitor. This has all the desired features including a plethora of inputs, proper scaling, and an S-IPS panel at a price point that doesn't make my checking account scream too loudly. HP shows an estimated delivery date of 9/5/2008, not sure how accurate they are typically with dates as I've not ordered directly from them before.

I strongly considered the Doublesight 26 but the lack of stand height adjustment (without purchasing a third party stand), lack of brand recognition, and apparent switching between polarized and non-polarized screens were a big concern.

What the heck, went ahead and ordered one after a long search for the ideal 24" monitor. This has all the desired features including a plethora of inputs, proper scaling, and an S-IPS panel at a price point that doesn't make my checking account scream too loudly. HP shows an estimated delivery date of 9/5/2008, not sure how accurate they are typically with dates as I've not ordered directly from them before.

I strongly considered the Doublesight 26 but the lack of stand height adjustment (without purchasing a third party stand), lack of brand recognition, and apparent switching between polarized and non-polarized screens were a big concern.

I also did quite a lot of research about the pricing, whether it was S-IPS, the input connectivity, OSD menu settings, calibration, and also importantly the input lag ...... I would say this beats the competition namely the Dell 2408. Out of all the monitors that has an additional HDMi and display port connection, this monitor is probably the best :D

The Hazro HZ26Wi also is very comparable and has especially very low input lag :cool: Someone here previously wrongly said it was S-IPS, when in the review they clearly state that it is in fact a H-IPS panel :D

The review for the Hazro is here

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz26wi.htm

The HP review i believe will be out on the same site within 1-2 weeks if i heard correctly :D

HP LP2475W

Pros:
- competitively priced S-IPS monitor
- Newest S-IPS panel
-Wide Screen 1920x1200 native resolution. I think it is WUXGA ? Can anybody confirm this ?
- wide gamut ( good for if your into adobe photoshop stuff. Probably not too much of an issue for regular computer uses as some people reported that it wasn't too over saturated for SRGB sources. Further calibration should make it less of an issue i hope ).
- Very adjustable for height, swivel and pivot
- Has DVI, HDMI and Display port which is pretty much all the necessary and latest connections needed for future proofing :D Has HDCP.
- Input lag reported between 15-30 which is within acceptable limits for me as a gamer ;)
- Can install an optional speaker module if required. Seem it is SPDIF though :cool:
- Compared to the Hazro it is more readily available because it has much more retailers world wide :D even in my country Malaysia.

Cons
- It isn't H-IPS which is supposedly a newer technology then S-IPS. But looking at this monitors results i don't think this is much of an issue considering the price were paying for it ;)
- It's wide gamut which means for most graphics which are srgb it may be over saturated. But then again people reported that the over saturation was acceptable. Hopefully some calibration with my Eye One Display 2 i can see whether this can be improved :D Not much of an issue for me at the moment.
- Does not have the advanced True-White (A-TW) polarizer which reduces glow effect at angles. But from what i hear there isn't much of a glow issue for the monitor :confused: So don't really think this is an issue.

Hazro HZ26Wi

Pros:
- H-IPS panel
-Wide Screen 1920x1200 native resolution. I think it is WUXGA ? Can anybody confirm this ?
- wide gamut ( good for if your into adobe photoshop stuff. Note that the 24'' model is normal gamut if that is what you prefer.
- Has DVI, HDMI. Has HDCP.
- Input lag reported as an average of 17 ? Which is quite low and acceptable for gamers :D
- Has an aluminium enclosure

Cons
- Not readily available as it is only sold in the UK
- The power supply is a brick outside the monitor. For people that don't like bricks this may be a disadvantage but to me it isn't really much of an issue.
- Adjust ability is very limited. Hp may be preferable in this area.
- wide gamut, however the 24'' model is normal gamut if you prefer that, so not much of an issue.
- It does not have the advanced True-White (A-TW) polarizer

In all honesty either the HP or the Hazro would make a fine monitor depending on which of these pros/cons that matters to you and especially the price comparison :D

An input lag test has been done by a member of another forum, it came out to around 17ms average. Fired up grid and it definitely feels pretty lag free - may do a test with ET:QW but don't have it installed currently. Badass (TFTCentral) should be getting theirs today and may be able to say definitively what the input lag is. It feels on a par with, or better than the Hazro though (but that is purely subjective).

As for the sound bar, I don't know - that's something you'd need to contact HP directly about.

edit: Just had a look at the docs on the CD, there is indeed an audio out, however, it's S/Pdif and not analogue - it simply passes through the digital audio from the HDMI port.

Source: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17911883&page=2

Hey ppl.

Got mine today. Will put up a short review about it soon. Will be doing calibration in a minute. Check back soon.

Oh let me say these few words before calibration:

* The glow is there, it doesnt bother me UNLESS I am viewing the screen real close or the screen is MOSTLY black.
* The red can bother some ppl because there is definately some red push w/o calibration. Green and blue is fine.
* It came with two stuck sub pixels (blue) that were almost impossible to seei but I really stuck my face in there to see them. No dead pixels as of now.
* Backlight is mostly equal until the very edge. 1/4 inch from the edge is a very slight dimming visible.
* No Backlight bleed.

Do you see some purple at a sharp angle ?

P1010936.JPG

Once someone in the USA confirms it is a IPS panel, I will buy it. Plus any gamer impressions for PC/PS3/360 use would be much appreciated.

ok...after some basic calibration:

Everything looks much better. The red has calmed down quite a bit, dont forget though, its not sRGB calm, but calm enough. Take a look at settings below...

2826047834_54cdabd986_o.jpg

I didnt spend too much time playing with it, just adjusted some R G B values under "custom colors" in the OSD and then calibrated to 140 cd and achieved 0.19 black and max delta of 1.5 and min delta of 0.11. Need to play with it a little bit more and until now I like what I see.

Would I recommend it as a pro user? Well, if you dont mind the glow too much (or if you have a PVA or a TN background) and you dont sit 10 inches from the screen, then definately YES. The color can be tamed, even with some basic calibration, to the point that it doesnt bother the eyes too much.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you are seriously considering this monitor, then you MUST get a calibrator. I mostly use DTP94, my favorite of the bunch and it serves me well but, dont go anything under i1 display LT ( same as 2 and the old Pro with more basic software) and use good software. I prefer Coloreyes for serious stuff. I just havent installed it on this new machine yet (cant find the damn CD :p ). Without a calibrator, this monitor wouldnt be in my list of monitors to research and buy.

Forgot to add...if anyone has any questions about the monitor, go ahead...just dont ask me to hook up a ps3 or something similar as I dont have any around. I should note though, ALL the cables can be found in the box, a first for me in 20 years that a monitor comes with everything, that includes a Display Port cable, HDMI cable, DVI-D cable, DVI-I cable, VGA cable, USB link cable, Power cable so on and so forth...heh.

damn, cant stop writing...have to add this...those parrots on that wallpaper look f******* amazing!

Thanks Steffen for the wallpapers, great stuff!

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hazro_hz26wi.htm#colour

Woa! Something is seriously wrong with that review unit. I emailed the reviewer and he tried the contrast. Neither control actually changes the backlight. This is a massive design defect.

My respect for Hazro just dropped below DELL. :eek:

Here is what a brightness table should look like. Note stable contrast. Note black and white points moving together.

backlightnq0.png

I tend to prefer the colors on my monitor to be more vibrant and colorful, so would the wide gamut of colors and oversaturation actually be something I'd prefer?

theblackw0lf said:
I tend to prefer the colors on my monitor to be more vibrant and colorful, so would the wide gamut of colors and oversaturation actually be something I'd prefer?
Not necessarily. IPS panels are already more vibrant and colorful than other types of panels because the viewing angles never wash out the colors. The wider gamut just makes the colors more pure and intense, which can be distracting.

The wider gamut will oversaturate anything that's not color managed. Whether or not this will bother you is purely subjective. There's no way anybody can tell you how you will feel about it. The only way to know for sure is to see it yourself.

Would I recommend it as a pro user? The color can be tamed, even with some basic calibration, to the point that it doesnt bother the eyes too much.
Calibration doesn't change colours space/gamut at all.
Like ToastyX said colour management is for keeping colours correct and for pro use that's required always because printers/printing processes don't produce sRGB.

Woa! Something is seriously wrong with that review. Either the monitor is defective, possibly with reversed contrast/brightness controls, or the reviewer had too many pints and adjusted the contrast control instead of the brightness control.
Nothing missing in that. That's exactly what too bright backlight without enough dimming capability causes.
Also that fits well to results in 24W and 26W reviews which also had bad/quite mediocre black.

Some monitors like cheap Iolair is actually without anykind backlight brightness adjustment and do all brightness adjustment through panel blocking:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/712-3/lcd-david-vs-goliath-iolair-vs-dell.html
Power consumption tells about level of bakclight. (some have modded real backlight adjustment ot it)

Calibration doesn't change colours space/gamut at all.
Like ToastyX said colour management is for keeping colours correct and for pro use that's required always because printers/printing processes don't produce sRGB.

I dont remember stating that the colour space turned into sRGB as soon as I calibrated the screen or anything close to what you are implying. What I stated was that the red push, which was way too much for even correctly displaying AdobeRGB can be brought back to normal levels and thus stop unnatural color reporoduction (unnatural color reproduction=eye irritation).

Glow, on the other hand, produces a gray-to-black gradient like effect for the untrained eye. This monitor can easily produce gradeint like effects on areas of graphic elements that are black or dark gray. This increases with decreased proximity to the screen (the closer you get the more you can see the gray-to-black gradient-like glow). When working on such a screen, the graphic designer has to be aware of this issue and adjust to it.

albovin, I will try and find a decent camera tomorrow for a macro shot as mine is currently traveling Europe with my father :)

Some monitors like cheap Iolair is actually without anykind backlight brightness adjustment and do all brightness adjustment through panel blocking:

Unbelievable that someone would do this in a premium monitor. I have owned 5 LCDs and all of them, even my cheap 17" TN had the backlight directly modulated by the brightness control and that is all the brightness control did.

This is a screaming stay far away type defect on a premium panel.

Woa! Something is seriously wrong with that review unit. I emailed the reviewer and he tried the contrast. Neither control actually changes the backlight. This is a massive design defect.

My respect for Hazro just dropped below DELL. :eek:

Here is what a brightness table should look like. Note stable contrast. Note black and white points moving together.

backlightnq0.png

You worried me there for a second until i realized u talked about the Hazro. Anyway i just ordered the HP phew :D

What is panel blocking ?

Nothing missing in that. That's exactly what too bright backlight without enough dimming capability causes.
Also that fits well to results in 24W and 26W reviews which also had bad/quite mediocre black.

This gets a little confusing. So on the one hand, the results in the review dont look quite right, and it almost looks like the brightness OSD control adjusts contrast and visa versa. see the thread here discussing it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1220470066

would be interested to hear your views about the backlight control or lack of it. that link has readings of luminance, black point etc if we assumed the controls were the wrong way round.

Back