HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

I'm seriously considering getting one of these monitors but the really far out colours put me off a bit. I don't have a calibrator but i'm not after 'perfect' colours either, i just want it to look good. I don't do photo work or anything like that so near enough really is good enough, but this monitor is really far out when you get it so I’ll need to tweak it a bit.

I was intending to copy the values from TFT central (brightness, contrast and R,G,B values) and hope that it would make it look reasonable. Maybe then bring up the LCD test site and do a bit of visual tweaking.

:confused: Reading a bit of this tread i've become a bit confused as people are talking about graphics cards/programs ect. So i would like to know, will what I want to do work and provide reasonable results?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please, someone, please answer my question? :D

Please, someone, please answer my question? :D

If you use the ICC profile from TFTCentral as well as their settings, it should be calibrated fine. Some colors will still be oversaturated and your eyes should be able to adjust. If you want the most accurate sRGB colors and don't do photo work, then get the NEC LCD2490WUXi but it's more expensive (new).

Thanks but a newbie question.. ICC profile??

Is that just the R,G,B values that i need to plug into the monitor.

An ICC profile is a little file that basically describes the colour profile of your monitor and allows programs to map colours accurately. Firefox can read them, and you can load them on boot into your graphics card LUT using something like LutLoader (search this thread for that word).

Thanks but a newbie question.. ICC profile??

Is that just the R,G,B values that i need to plug into the monitor.

The ICC profiles are also available for download on TFTCentral and should be used together with those settings. The profile can be installed using Microsoft's WinColor.

The field tech brought a new monitor panel (the monitor itself, not the stand) directly to my house. We connected the new one and I checked it for dead pixels, color issues, etc. When all was well, he packed up the old one and left. Done deal and very convenient.

Apparently. I got lucky and my second one (newer production date and REV GIG122) has no hue effect and no dead/stuck pixels. I guess they had some bad batches or it might just be a game of chance.

That sounds nice. I'll have to give them a call and do this also. I notice my bright pixel during movies and the green/pink tint on solid colors..

That sounds nice. I'll have to give them a call and do this also. I notice my bright pixel during movies and the green/pink tint on solid colors..

Yeah, you should. I thought the green->pink tint would go away but it was still there after 60 hours of backlight. Make sure to call the Small Business division. They should deliver the panel directly to your address and replace it.

This new panel is excellent...REV GIG122 and no color problems and no dead/stuck pixels. Overall I'm very pleased, but I do notice a slight over saturation of reds due to the monitor's wide gamut. However, the positives outweigh the negatives and for this price, I can live with that.

The ICC profiles are also available for download on TFTCentral and should be used together with those settings. The profile can be installed using Microsoft's WinColor.

OK i think i'm starting to understand this.

I need to enter the R,G,B values into the monitor from TFT central. Then i need to go and find the ICC profile (havn't managed to do so yet) and use the ICC profile with Microsofts WinColor. Right??

When i get it i'll have two monitors and i'm wondering will this ICC profile effect both or am i able to select which monitor.

Sorry i'm really a big newbie to this stuff. I'm just trying to make sure i can sort it all out before i go and spend the money, rather expensive here in Aus, all electronic stuff is :(.

This new panel is excellent...REV GIG122 and no color problems and no dead/stuck pixels. Overall I'm very pleased, but I do notice a slight over saturation of reds due to the monitor's wide gamut. However, the positives outweigh the negatives and for this price, I can live with that.

Hey PC_User, just wanted to make sure, your REV GIG122 is based on the sticker on the back, but via the "information" section in the menu, it shows GIG045? thx. Tom

So for the folks with the newer revisions, could you list your revision and the store you bought it from in one post? Thanks in advance if its not too much trouble. did some order from HP directly. (i live in Hawai'i so shipping is.... an issue.)

GIG 045 (Nov 08) - Amazon.com - Have issues with green/pink tinting and 1 bad pixel in middle. Will have to call for replacement.

Hey PC_User, just wanted to make sure, your REV GIG122 is based on the sticker on the back, but via the "information" section in the menu, it shows GIG045? thx. Tom

That's correct. On the back sticker: REV GIG122 / October 2008
Information section: Firmware GIG 045

So for the folks with the newer revisions, could you list your revision and the store you bought it from in one post? Thanks in advance if its not too much trouble. did some order from HP directly. (i live in Hawai'i so shipping is.... an issue.)

I ordered my original monitor from Amazon. It was manufactured in October 2008 and I don't remember it being REV GIG122 on the back. Called HP because I had a stuck pixel and the tint issue so they replaced it with one that was manufactured in October as well but is REV GIG122. No more issues.

GIG 045 (Nov 08) - Amazon.com - Have issues with green/pink tinting and 1 bad pixel in middle. Will have to call for replacement.

Also purchased mine from Amazon. It was October 2008. Does yours say REV GIG122 on the back sticker?

Been lurking for a while reading all the reviews because I'm in the market for a new LCD.

Currently I have a 2005FPW and a 2007FP, both have served me very well. I bought the the 2475 because it looked like everything I wanted: ports, IPS, 19x12, etc.

After receiving the unit on Tuesday, I noticed the text problem immediately. Running first side-by-side with the 2005FPW, then next to the 2007FP, there was a huge difference in clarity. On the older Dells, no eyestrain and I could stare at it for hours (I work from home and normally do) but on the HP I had a headache and my eyes crossed after a few minutes. I would slide a window over and it was as if there was cellophane over the HP, even in clone mode everyone in my family saw the stark difference.

Text was as others described in this thread, blurry and pixelated with red/green edges.

My monitor was calibrated with the profiles and settings from TFTCentral and aside from text, everything else was gorgeous. I messed with the ClearType tuner to no avail and went through about 8 iterations of the FontSmoothingGamma too with no success. FWIW, I also hooked up my MacBookPro to it and text had the same problem, when I slid a window from the laptop display to the HP, the text was noticably worse.

In the end I'm very disappointed that I have to return the unit and start my search again. :mad:

Been lurking for a while reading all the reviews because I'm in the market for a new LCD.

Currently I have a 2005FPW and a 2007FP, both have served me very well. I bought the the 2475 because it looked like everything I wanted: ports, IPS, 19x12, etc.

After receiving the unit on Tuesday, I noticed the text problem immediately. Running first side-by-side with the 2005FPW, then next to the 2007FP, there was a huge difference in clarity. On the older Dells, no eyestrain and I could stare at it for hours (I work from home and normally do) but on the HP I had a headache and my eyes crossed after a few minutes. I would slide a window over and it was as if there was cellophane over the HP, even in clone mode everyone in my family saw the stark difference.

Text was as others described in this thread, blurry and pixelated with red/green edges.

My monitor was calibrated with the profiles and settings from TFTCentral and aside from text, everything else was gorgeous. I messed with the ClearType tuner to no avail and went through about 8 iterations of the FontSmoothingGamma too with no success. FWIW, I also hooked up my MacBookPro to it and text had the same problem, when I slid a window from the laptop display to the HP, the text was noticably worse.

In the end I'm very disappointed that I have to return the unit and start my search again. :mad:

Very interesting - anyone else happen to have a 2007FP or WFP to compare it side by side?

I suspect it is a combination of cleartype and the way the pixels/sub-pixels are arranged in an H-IPS panel that is causing the text issues. I personally don't have any issues with the text on this monitor. My previous monitor was a Samsung 204T S-PVA and the text compared between these two monitors is pretty much identical. But, I also do not use cleartype/font-smoothing at all, so for those having problems, try turning off font-smoothing/cleartype/apple-os-equivalent completely and then see how it looks.

I did at one time try turning on cleartype with this monitor and most things looked ok, but certain applications/fonts looked absolutely horrible. At times, I even thought I saw some of the red fringeing some people see.

One other thought, some fonts are designed for use with cleartype and some aren't, so maybe try it with differnt fonts.

No issues with text after disabling ClearType. Very smooth, sharp, and perfect. Usually text issues arise when using ClearType because of the way the pixel structure is on the H-IPS panels.

NCIX.COM is usually good because you can get a dead pixel warranty with them for a bit extra cost. You will see two versions usually. One is the "smart buy" version which is always the "promo" price and is cheaper.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=80751J&vpn=KD911A8#ABA&manufacture=HP - COMPAQ MONITORS

If you are only looking for the cheapest price, www.shopbot.ca is always good to use as well. l always prefer buying local where I can return it, but this is a business monitor, so "retail" locations are few and far between.

where is the best place to buy it in Canada?

thanks,

I don't have any problem with text on my LP2475W, with ClearType on (and tuned) - except when I read posts about people having problems with text on it. I should read fewer forum posts about this monitor apparently!

Just noticed a problem when using a composite source fo picture in picture (PIP). Once selected with the source cable attached the screen brightness increases and I am sure I am seeing a flickering. Have had to plug it into the monitor (A Dell) next to it instead.

Just got a refund on mine, the shop found the same problems as I have - I don't think I will risk it again ... here goes for the NEC!

where's the cheapest place to buy this monitor? the lowest i find right now is on ebay and provantage... Anyone bought it from provantage? and what rev. u got? and manufacture date? thank you so much.. Hoping to finally buy one soon

where's the cheapest place to buy this monitor? the lowest i find right now is on ebay and provantage... Anyone bought it from provantage? and what rev. u got? and manufacture date? thank you so much.. Hoping to finally buy one soon

This monitor is now available from Newegg but it's $610 and the shipping is not included.

PC Nation has it for $599 shipped.

The revision is not a guarantee...if the retailer has had the monitor in stock for a long time, you may get an older revision. It's all about chance at this point.

finally, should i buy it off ebay.. I am getting a good deal for $550 shipped.... if something went wrong with the monitor will i be able to exchange it through HP itself? Or what is your comment on getting it through ebay

Amazon has it for $620, and they have good return policy and a high stock turnover. If I decide to pull the trigger, that's where I'm going to get mine. I'd be hesitant to buy off ebay just because the return issue can be problematic. At Amazon you can return it just for not liking it, while ebay sellers probably require it to be defective.

do you have to pay for shipping at amazon? newegg has it too...... or should I just go with provantage or pcnation... which one would you guys think have high turnover rate and best return polciy? regards.

do you have to pay for shipping at amazon? newegg has it too...... or should I just go with provantage or pcnation... which one would you guys think have high turnover rate and best return polciy? regards.
As already mentioned before, Amazon is your best bet. Their shipping is usually quite cheap. Just go to their website and add the monitor to your cart, and then you can view the shipping prices depending on shipping method.

It shows Free Super Saver shipping available for me.

to clarify thing, "shipping" i meant return shipping here.....

Amazon gives you a pre-paid return shipping label. However, I believe that the monitor has to be defective/non-functioning in order to return it and they don't specify their "dead pixel" policy at all. That being said, I ordered mine from Amazon and immediately had the panel replaced by HP after discovering some issues. Now I'm a happy camper.

Amazon gives you a pre-paid return shipping label. However, I believe that the monitor has to be defective/non-functioning in order to return it and they don't specify their "dead pixel" policy at all. That being said, I ordered mine from Amazon and immediately had the panel replaced by HP after discovering some issues. Now I'm a happy camper.

I'm pretty sure Amazon has a "any reason" return policy. I'm not certain baout monitors, but I have returned other products with no issues simply because it wasn't what I was expecting. You do have to pay return shipping - I would think all places would require that.

Back